This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Legacy vs Legacy XL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Legacy vs Legacy XL
    Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 5:22am
What's the difference between the Legacy and the Legacy XL?? Is one better than the other? Looking for something to till the garden and mow. Currently have an Allis 919 but it's starting to show it's age. I also think I would enjoy power steering, foot controlled hydro and a tiller that didn't leave a dead spot.

Thanx

Chris
Sponsored Links

steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
The XL is a better version IMO. You still have the same foot controlled hydrostat. The implement lift is a joystick controlled lever on the right side of the dash. the 27hp Kawasaki water cooled is a good motor. Stay away from the Diesel's! The old Legacy's are slowly becoming a problem getting parts for. Some items are no longer available. Try to find as new of a XL as possible with the attachments you would like to have. Old  Legacy attachments will not fit XL models. Good luck!!
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
mwells View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 1:02pm
I have 1 legacy diesel and 2 xl diesels and I love them!! Not sure why you wouldn't want them. Have 1800 hrs on one of the xls and never had a bit of trouble with it. It runs great has awesome power and sips fuel! Fires right up in negitve degree weather to move snow. Either one would be a great machine just depends how much money you want to spend!
JasonB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 4:05pm

The newer Legacy XL's came with the option of 4X4 if you will need 4X4 for any tasks. Personally would go with a 4X4 Legacy XL if you fine on. I have 4X4 on my John Deere X748 Garden tractor ( equivalent to the Legacy XL) and it has come in handy numerous time.

Id look for a Diesel Legacy XL as they will be a lot more fuel efficient then the gas Kawasaki 27HP engine. I am not a fan of Kawasaki's gas engines to be honest. I had a Deere 425 with a 20HP Kawasaki 20HP engine, and it was a PIG on fuel, used more fuel then my 20HP Kohler Command engine in my old AGCO Allis 1920H! Maybe the newer gas engines are better on fuel, but with a tractor that size, I would go Diesel.

I would not be too scared of part's availability for the Diesel engine Legacy versions. If it really came down to it, a YANMAR Diesel ( same as used in the Deere X700 Diesels) will fit into the Legacy frame. A local John Deere dealer up my way last year had a Simplicity Legacy XL in on trade with a YANMAR replacement Diesel engine in it. I was thinking about buying it, but it sold quickly, not sure what the story was about why it ended up with a YANMAR Diesel in it.

I would not mind a Legacy XL myself, but they don't come up to often around here, plus I have been 100% happy with my Green mowers. I think I do like the older Legacy deck better then the new design, but I have never tried one out so I don't know for sure.
steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 4:13pm
I wouldn't doubt that you have had good luck with them. If you bought one new, and used and maintained it with care. But, the day something happens is when the fun begins. Parts available from Briggs and Stratton are expensive. Some are no longer available. Simplicity is no longer putting Diesel engines in Legacy's. How long do you think they will continue parts support for the old ones? The Kawasaki gas liquid cooled is as good of a motor, and you can get everything for it, even though Simplicity has switched to an EFI Briggs motor.

Any engine in those mowers require the oil level to be checked daily, and be kept clean so not to overheat. I still would lean away form a diesel version if buying a used one.
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
mwells View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 9:22am
All mine where bought used. Can't afford the new price tag! Lol None of mine where religiously maintained before I got them. I think they did the bare minimum though as the engines and power train are in good shape. I had to fix some things on them, but never have had to touch the engines yet. I agree with you that anything maintained from new will last longer, but anything neglected will have problems. I guess you have to pick what you like and roll with it, ups and downs to both of them. Diesels in mowers or tractors are just like the truck world, they run cheaper and have more power then gas but have higher maintenance costs. There are a lot of legacies out there so if you can't get the new parts anymore there's a big selection of used ones. I guess that doesn't bother me as that's what I have to do for all my Allis tractors as they don't make many parts for them anymore either. But if your wanting to go to your local dealer and be able to get a new part all the time better go with an xl then. But even the xls I've not been able to get some parts for already. Now that they have a new style xl out they discontinue the older stuff right away. Makes it hard to keep up!
talntedmrgreen View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talntedmrgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
I have had a handful of Legacy's, and only 1 brief experience with a Legacy XL diesel.  I wouldn't pass on a good deal on any of them, whether early legacy or XL, gas or diesel.  Parts availability isn't a problem, and Briggs is no more expensive than any other parts supplier brand.  I have never had any of my engines use a drop of oil.  I think standard service intervals and common sense are sufficient.

My favorite engine thus far is the Kawasaki gas.  I love the Command's, but my Kawasaki seems to use half the fuel, is twice and smooth and at least twice as quiet.  I never really got a chance to 'feel' the power band under a load on the 27hp diesel, but it certainly made me feel good to drive Embarrassed Resale is certainly stronger on a diesel, and engine life should be extended quite a bit.

If you want to till and mow, frankly, I would look for an early legacy with moderate hours and a 3pt/rear PTO.  4x4 isn't a need for mowing, and you will spend less on the early model.  The differential lock on these machines works wonderfully.  I mow some pretty good slopes...slopes a Sovereign won't climb up...and my Legacy handled wonderfully on them.  I prefer the foot controlled implement lift of the early legacy's, though the XL joystick couldn't be any more user friendly.  Problem is, I have to set my beer down to operate an implement. Wacko 

Early legacy implements tend to be less costly, but you can really only find them used, and it may take some patience.  The loader for the XL is far and away superior than the early models.  Much easier to mount, more comfortable to use, and more robust.  It's also going to cost you more, most likely, should you ever go down that path.

Plenty to consider, but I would recommend keeping your search open to any Legacy, or AGCO/Massey equivalent.  I'm not much for kicking tires, but if you want to drop a bundle on equipment you plan to keep, find one of each you can take for a test ride, or reach out to someone here who may be close enough to you, for a visit.
Patterson B1*B1/B1Forklift*B10*BigTen/B1Loader*B110*B208*B206*616*Homelite T16H/T8/T7/RM7E*Landlord/Loader/Trencher*Broadmoor717*Serf525*2110*7790*Legacy XL*Twin 20*Squire9*Squire6*JCPenny 494
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic