This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC Hoist-Type Wagon Gear Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC Hoist-Type Wagon Gear Project
    Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:13am

A few months back I came by this nice 501 gear with original barge box and hoist.  Just finished fixing it up and thought I would pass along some pics of the finished wagon.

(Thanks to Chad (WI), Joe Kurzy and other folks on the forum who helped with some of the details!)

Edited by Bill (E.C.MO) - 13 Apr 2011 at 12:25am
A-C's currently on the farm: B, CA, 2 D-17 D's, One Eighty, ass't implements.
Sponsored Links

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:35am
   Orangetastic !!
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Jim NEIN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim NEIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 3:56am
Very nice.
Chad(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:17am
You don't waste any time, do you Bill? LOL! That looks sweet!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:32am
Yes, very nice.    I have a 5 ton gear w/ hoist but no box.

omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:44am
Purdy!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:58am
Howdy Bill,
Sure looks great, glad to hear you got it done. My is just like that. Just wondering what these are worth, anybody care to give it a price tag?

Thanks Kurzy
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:23am
One of the most sought after pieces of equiptment A/C sold.Most of these rusted away and were scrapped decades ago.Have only seen them in old advertisement ads and on this website.Never seen one personally.

Price ? Get a couple guys with money at a auction and see who wants it worse. I would pay between 2000.00- 3000.00 for one restored like yours.Someone with more money would probably pay more.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:56am
Sweet!  Tracy Martin
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:13am
I ran an Allis flare box, 501 gear and Allis hoist to $1300 a few years ago, and didn't get it.  It had two flat car tires and a dent in one side, but the wood floor was good.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:04am
Very Nice!!!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:16am
Great looking wagon.  I would like to see one at our show next year. We will feature Allis Chalmers in 2012 and I think it would be nice to see an Orange wagon behind an Orange picker behind an Orange tractor picking corn. http://www.ae-ta.com
 I often thought I should have one to put behind the #35 picker but I think I'll stay with the orange gravity wagon I gave $100 for. It could use some paint and tires but is way closer to my budget limits.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bill (E.C.MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:31pm
Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. 

One issue I had was recreating the "501" model number stencil on the running gear frame.  I experimented on scrap with a conventional home-made stencil, but overspray (underspray?) would creep under the stencil leaving unsatisfactory, fuzzy edges on the numbers.  The solution was to have our local sign shop make a one-time-use stencil out of vinyl---the reverse of familiar vinyl die-cut decals---using a tracing of the original stencilled numbers as a guide.  I only needed one, but had them make up a few extra just in case. 

If anyone has a 501 running gear they're planning on repainting and wants to recreate the stencilled model number shoot me a PM.

Here's the result:

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:09pm
Bill, All stuff aside,that is probably one of the neatest AC items I have seen. I believe anyone would be proud to own it. Can't put a price on satisfaction. I just wish it were mine.Outstanding to say the least. Tracy Martin
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:24pm
Thanks Tracy, what a nice comment.  Yes, coming by one of these is about like winning the lottery except for the get-to-quit-your-job part!

You might enjoy this picture Joe Graunke sent to me a while back of his working barge wagon.  Is this a great picture, or what?  I hope Joe doesn't mind me sharing it here:

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:11am
Hey Bill, you can haul that nice looking unit over here this fall and we can post a shot of it picking corn. lol
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 9:29am
Don - I was thinking the same thing but if Bill come to my place it's a shorter drive AND we can pull it behind an ALLIS picker!  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Skyhighballoon(MO) Skyhighballoon(MO) wrote:

Don - I was thinking the same thing but if Bill come to my place it's a shorter drive AND we can pull it behind an ALLIS picker!  Mike

That's what I like about my friends; They are always looking out for me. lol
I have it, you can haul your WD45 picker/tractor and Bill can haul his wagon over to my farm and you can pick my corn and Bill can unload the wagon with my flight line elevator in the truck.lol
Don
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 11:59am
I like it! Good job!
David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill (E.C.MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Don(MO) Don(MO) wrote:

I have it, you can haul your WD45 picker/tractor and Bill can haul his wagon over to my farm and you can pick my corn and Bill can unload the wagon with my flight line elevator in the truck.lol
Don

...or you guys could haul your equipment here to pick some corn! LOL.  I like the idea. However & wherever it happens those would be some nifty pictures, we'd be the envy of the neighborhood ;-)  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic