This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers D12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers D12
    Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:11pm
I bought a D12 today with a 3-point hitch. The serial number is 2792. I was wondering what year the 3 point was available and what engine I would have? I also got 2 good rims for a D14 in the trade. Thanks, Scott    864-934-4393
Sponsored Links

D-17_Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D-17_Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:23pm
# shows it to be a 1960 model. I'm not sure what year was the first, but I would think it may could have been an option on all 12's. Either way, it's a great score...And we love pictures.
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 6:28pm

The rain started before we could unload it, so no pictures yet. She's not real pretty and the engine is stuck, but I'll try to take pictures tomorrow.

Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 8:30pm
That will have the 138 engine and be prior to the independant live PTO and hydraulics.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 6:38am
Although a number of options were available, the reference in AC manuals I have threw me when I read; "LIVE POWER TAKE-OFF Effective with serial number D-10-3501 and D-12-3001, and cannot be installed on tractors prior to these serial numbers".
I have s/n 2460, equipped with both "live power takeoff" and "live hydraulics", with factory 3-pt, two spool valve and no traction booster. My tractor was found via a lead on this site back in 2004 and pretty much a basket case when pulled out of the weeds in East Texas. Tranny was surprisingly in great shape but internals of motor and head were quite rough (original 138). After two years, she is sitting back in my home garage where she will have the motor broken in on the A-C brush cutter I run on my D15II when the weather clears up, to verify we have no leaks before final paint. Will have to get some pics on here as I am chasing a number of correct fasteners that were missing when this tractor was found.
Tim 
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 9:39am
The was an option of live hydraulics on the early D-10/12. The pump was engine driven and there was a small tank behind the distributer. It was a non traction booster system.
The hydraulic lift cylinders were larger diameter because it was a low pressure system.
I've often thought that you could likely us a CA rear axle with the live power clutch to get live PTO on the early ones. If you have live PTO on your tractor, somebody did a lot of work.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:24am
Scott
The D12 is great to work with. The 3 point was an option during the model runs, as was live hydraulics. The earlier ones did not have live PTO, so one should install an overiding clutch stub on the PTO shaft when using PTO driven equipment. The engine was 138CI on the earlier ones, however the internal parts were interchangeable with the 149CI engine. There are piston/sleeve kits available to make the 138CI engine into a 149 CI engine.
Below is one I rehabbed. It was pretty sorry when it came home with me. Stuck engine, no brakes, rear and front rims were awful as was the rear fenders, and a partial factory 3 Point hitch. The rest of the sheet metal was fixable. After new brakes, rims from a donor CA, engine and head rebuild (using NOS parts), some fabbed parts for those that were not available, and sandblast and paint, it ran as good as it looked. It's SN is 2427.

You can see the hyd pump  and resevoir in the picture. The tractor has more power than it can effectively put to the ground. It is now with a new owner.

What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 10:27am
I will have to check Pop's price book - it is in another part of the house - but from memory I do believe that the three point was not a factory option on that year D-12.  Any three point you have is after market or hooked to the snap coupler.  You would have the "smaller" D-12 engine and as stated above you can have live hyds but no traction booster.  We sold a D-10 like that to Fort McHenry for grounds keeping.
If you have traction booster you will have something like snap coupler hitch.  NO live PTO till later.  The CA clutch would not work on the D-12 due to the location of the operator - the operator sits in the tractor strattling the transmission not on the tractor like the CA.
I will respond more in detail later today.  Now, I have to shovel some snow.
Congratulations on your find.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:47pm
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:49pm

Here's the D12 I got. How do I post a picture not so big?

GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 2:58pm
When you are uploading it, set the width to 640 and the height to 480.
Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:04pm
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 4:57pm
Scott
The tin and metal appears to be decent and should clean up well for paint. It also appears that it also has a complete 3 Point Hitch setup. It does not appear that you have live hydraulics as the pump is located in the back, similar to the CA. The missing under tank panel and grill screen are available. It would appear that you should be able to rehab the tractor with minimal effort in locating parts to finish it up. Keep us posted on your progress as the D12 was a limited production model.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 9:09pm
Scott,
Your D12 is similar to mine in the respect that it does not have the hydraulic pump mounted just below the distributor (and no engine mounted hyd reservoir behind the distributor); you have the CA plunger type hyd pump which is the higher pressure unit. Your 3-point is exactly like mine and finding parts can be a challenge as they can be quite rare and are expensive when found. The top "rock shaft" and end mounting points can be easily re-fabbed, along with the fender mounting rails the 3-point attaches to. I ended up having the entire rear deck, left fender mount side frame and rock shaft built from scratch as mine was quite the rust bucket. The aluminum name plates were reportedly also not in-use prior to late 1960, but I am putting them on my mid 1960 tractor vs. the stickers. A-C built many variations of these units and details of my unit noted above are accurate. Prior comments concerning getting their power to the ground is quite true; mine is currently just under my D15II unit's in cubic inches (yes, we opened up the 149 kit we used just "a bit") and I will never use that power in a "2400 pound tractor". I will get some pics posted when we get mine painted and feel free to pm me if I can help.
Tim 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic