This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wards grain buster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbs79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wards grain buster
    Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 11:31am
Anyone have any information on an old wards grainbuster hammer mill? I'm wanting to crack corn and this has sat in the barn for years unused. I need to know what kind of horsepower it's gonna take to run it. I'd love to find a manual if someone had one they share also. Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links

1950acwd View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1950acwd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:27pm
The power to run really depends on the size of the mill, we grind ear corn in our 10 inch mill with a 35 HP tractor and have a little power to spare, I was always told you can tell the size of the mill by measuring across the hammers. It also depends on how fast you feed it, but grinding shelled corn or cracking it will take less power then grinding ear corn.   
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 12:57pm
You can probably drive it with a 20HP tractor if you feed it a bit more slowly. Is this mill belt driven?
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:03pm
We had a hammer mill that we ran with either a 14 or a 17...been a while back to remember, can't remember if the WD ran it or not. As the guys have said, if you can get it up to speed the momentum will carry it some depending on how much you feed into it.
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:08pm
I have an older Fairbanks Morse hammer mill/grinder that is pro driven.  It is mounted on pull type cart frame equipped with metal spoke wheels (1930s era?).  For years, I hooked it to my 1941 Farmall M to grind fat cattle feed (corn, alfalfa, & little soy meal supplement). The Farmall M is 36hp pto.  The 540 pto shaft came into a larger 3 belt 20"pulley that ran a smaller 8" pulley mounted on hammer mill shaft.  So, that combination speed up the mill shaft to 1350 rpms??  It had different screens (3/4" holes for ear corn, 1/2" hole, 1/4" hole-the one I used most, & 1/8" hole).  These screens were all 1/4" thick and about 12" wide x 18" length.  They were molded into a curved shape to match the arch of the hammers & wrapped around the base of the hammers arch where the grain had to exit.  Once sized, the ground feed would be sucked up and transferred via a blower which was also on the hammer mill shaft.  It had a moveable flow panel on its feed shoot.  At a maximum, it could eat about a 3/4" depth x 12" wide of grain flow.  The small bay alfalfa was feed in, one beat at a time after the grain.  It was all that I had at the time, but it did a good job. 
I don't have a picture of it.  Maybe I can find one online and post it later?  
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:27pm
Think about how old it is (what year made) and what was available then in terms of HP.
Belt driven?

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 1:39pm
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 2:04pm
we ran an old hammermill with a VAC case for years, it would take it as fast as 2 guys could scoop ear corn in it, was belt driven, but throw a slice of hay in it...and you'd be putting the belt back on and unsluggin it!
ewbs79 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbs79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 2:41pm
It's belt driven yes. Has an approximate 6 inch diameter input pulley. Was hoping maybe the little C would turn it. Probably grind less than 500 pounds a month if that much.
ewbs79 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbs79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 2:56pm
It's belt driven yes. Has an approximate 6 inch diameter input pulley. Was hoping maybe the little C would turn it. Probably grind less than 500 pounds a month if that much.
ewbs79 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewbs79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 5:37pm
A C oughta run that, no problem.  You might want to check out what the hammers and screen look like, most are of a type that can be rotated 4 times, before they are wore out.  even after that, you can grind a square shoulder on the rounded hammers, as long as you keep the weight the same for each hammer, to keep the whole thing in balance...
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 5:56pm
hook it up and run it, you'll soon find out what it'll handle and what it won't!
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm
You'll know how fast you can feed it by the sound of things when it begins to lug down. That and watching the belt slide outward on the pulley, ready to slide off, when the going is getting too tough.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2015 at 6:03pm

Power required will be affected by the screen in use as well as how fast you can shovel grain in.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 2:48pm
I don't know how I missed this when it was posted, but I have Dad's monkey Wards Grainbuster hammer mill. It's a 13 inch and he ran it with the CA for all the years he ground feed.
 My boss had been on vacation once and when he got to the shop he handed me a manila envelope. Inside was a brochure on Montgomery Wards hammer mills. They made a 9 inch, a 13 inch and a 15 inch. I found out Dads cousin had a 15 inch and it was in an old fallen down crib. Before I could get it out, his son in law dozed the building into a pile, burned it, and scrapped the metal.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 5:28pm
Make sure you stake it down good.   You will need at least 2 old buggy axles cut in half and driven almost all the way in the ground. I do have a belt pulley that goes on a 540 PTO shaft. I don't know how fast the PTO turns compared to the belt pulley on say a WD45. That is what we used 2 times a month to grind ear corn for the fat cattle. The last mill we had was a Case. Dad decided to grind corn by himself on a weekday. One of the hammers broke off, it landed on top a 3 story barn and when the dang mill stopped flopping around it was about a hundred feet from where it was staked down. Pop wasn't hurt but from then on, the neighbor would bring over the truck mounted corn sheller.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 08 Apr 2020 at 5:31pm
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 7:23pm
We ground feed with a moline one that size with Our C it worked fine we ground a 6' long stock tank full every month. Mixed Cob Corn, oats dry molasses and mineral. It does need to be held in place We chained it to the pole barn pole. The C had no problem we didn't feed it very fast. Dad was more concerned that we fed the correct proportions and it was well mixed. It took one trailer load of cob corn 2 bags oats one smal pail molasses and a big cup minerals sprinkled in as we were feeding it to make one stock tank of feed. That would last a month for our 50 chickens and one milk cow.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic