This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

more stepchild 220 woes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more stepchild 220 woes
    Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 3:40pm
Ya reckon this is why the power steering quit,,,no other hydraulic functions tested...
I kinda cleaned the case where this filter goes,, I will get more serious later... Do the Gurus have a good way to clean the final drive/transmission without a total disassembly?

hyd oil..  how do y'all flush the rest of the system?

I should have took before pictures,,, this is after 2-4 hours with the hot water pressure wash..

Sponsored Links

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Can't help ya, but Yikes!! Got it looking good where you've been cleaning, though...
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
What is that crud all over the filter? Looks ugly. I don't have a cure for cleaning contaminated hydraulic oil out of a beast like the 220! I've been cleaning it out of my little CA - just drained the Hytran out of the various compartments and let it sit for a few days. And flushed the two hydraulic pistons.....a minor project compared to yours!

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:50pm
My my my,, that needs a good flushing for sure
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 8:36pm
Dump in a bunch of cheap 303 oil. Run it for a half hour or so.... drive, run hydraulics and drain it all out again. That's what I would probably do.

Edited by Lonn - 06 Apr 2020 at 8:38pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:49pm
first, that white stringy crap is Teflon tape...the rest is mostly rusty, dirt crap, there is some shiny metal flakes,,, I'm hoping that's not too serious...but I know that means something has been wearing more than it should.....this filter/strainer has probably not been seen it was installed 51 years ago at west allis...

Lonn,,, that's exactly what I thought I'd do, I'm hoping that 10-15 gallon will do it for flushing,, just running around no load, and kinda warm things up a bit, so it drains well

I have thought about taking the shifter and back cover off(the one under the fuel tank) and getting after it with the pressure washer,,,,and I can look at the case and gears, bearings and such...
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:53pm
Would diesel fuel work instead?
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by DCAC DCAC wrote:

Would diesel fuel work instead?

yea,,, it might,,,thought of that too
DCAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 10:37pm
Maybe less chance of getting rust started vs. powerwasher, especially if it has to sit for awhile afterwards?
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 7:07am
Does anything rust in New Mexico? Wink
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 11:04am
I've used Diesel fuel and Mineral Spirits, usually fill the case and run the tractor for about one minute and drain it. 
I don't cycle valves.
 the advantage with mineral spirits It will evaporate as the fluid gets hot if you don't drain it all out of the lines.
you could remove the lines and blow them out with Air.

Dan 
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic