This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having trouble with my snap coupler plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having trouble with my snap coupler plow
    Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:47pm
 Tonight a tried out my D17 with a snap coupler 4-14, I think it's a 74. At first I couldn't get it to go into the ground so I shortened the center link and that helped, but even with the center link shortened all the way I couldn't get the fourth bottom into the ground. Next I shortened the right adjustable lift link as short as I could. I even took the top half loose from the snap coupler as the bottom half was as far as it could go and I got the top a few turns shorter that way. Now the front three bottoms will go in but the fourth only leaves a shallow furrow at best. I haven't used this plow before but it looks like new and I got it from a friend who used to pull it with a D17 diesel. If I didn't know better I'd say the last bottom was sprung but it doesn't look like it. I think I'm out of adjustments on the plow. Help? 
We're having a plow day tomorrow, we chopped stalks on 3 -4 acres. We have an IH M pulling a model 60 3-16 hyd plow, a WD with a #2 2-16 hyd plow and an 1155 Massey with an IH 710 5-16 semi mount plow and possibly a few more. If I can't figure this one out I might get the 3-14 snap coupler out instead.
Sponsored Links

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 7:12am
Dave pull the tractor's left rear and front wheels up on a 6" to 8" block of something then level the plow from there. If all four bottoms are sitting on the ground levl then it will plow. Are the shares in good shape?
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 7:30am
Shares are in fair to good shape, the bottoms were painted, so the paints coming off and they are still polished. I'll try the blocks this AM.
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 9:04am
Share condition is critical on these plows mainly because if their light weight.  I was having trouble with my 64 fully mounted not wanting to go into the ground, but skipping across the top.  My shares looked to be in very good condition.  Dennis Anderson recommended new shares, so I tried new shares, and it now goes right into even hard ground.  Until I compared the new to the old, I didn't realize how worn the old shares were.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:30am
I've been running into the same problem with my 2-14 #52 plow. I would bet your points, shares, lays, whatever the term is for the leading edge is worn out. As was explained by an older gentleman who used plows when new, the point has to extend a little bit below the landside to get it to dig in. Something is wrong if you have to "Stand it on the points" (turn the beaming screw all the way in) as he said to get it in the ground. The old rule of thumb is when the point is on the floor, the land side should be 3/4" to 1" above the floor.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:43pm
Ok so my adjustable link was to long and I couldn't get the 4 bottom plow in the ground. Heres a picture of it and some of you sharp eyed experts have already spotted the problem.

Well I didn't and in frustration I ended up switching to the 3 bottom that I usually use on the WD 45. Well I never had problems on the 45 but on the D17 it was just the same as with the 4 bottom. We tried all the same things with the same results
 OK it's pretty obvious in this picture what I was doing wrong if you look at the adjustable link. It finally hit me while looking at it for the umpteenth time and in less than 5 minutes it was finally plowing! Didn't take a picture though.

Heres a picture of someone elses plow hooks up properly and it really shortens op the link.

It was really tough pulling and at first we had trouble with the stalks & shucks plugging the plows. As it warmed up the plugging stopped but it was still a hard pull. I picked the spot where the lime was dumped and loaded on the spreader on and the auger cart came up to fill the semis. Ye hah! It's rough looking plowing and noone had the skill to win a plowing match.

Here are some more pictures.

This little monster made my WD buck and jump and spin it's tires like it was chained to a wall, so we tried it on the M and it snorted like it was still pulling the 3 bottom but the tires were set too wide to make it work. So finally we put it on the D17 and got it to plow.

The big horse threw a shoe, a brand new pair of tires and one slipped on the rim and tore the valve stem, that should be a warranty repair. This is the only shot of everyone, except me, I'm taking the picture.

I think everybody had a good time, even the guy sitting on the step of the 1155 and it's his tractor. We might even do it again next year!
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 1:38am
Yep, got the whatchamacallit that the adjustable lift link hooks to upside down. I had the same problem you were having, but my link was on the right way.
Big Horse? That's just more proof that MF does NOT stand for Mighty Fine...

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 31 Oct 2010 at 1:39am
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic