This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cordless Impact

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cordless Impact
    Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 10:42am
If you were buying or have the perfect cordless 1/2 inch impact, what would it be?
Thanks...Dale
Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:51am
Dale,  I bought a DeWalt a few years ago, 18 volt.  Although I think the design could be improved, the basic unit is better then sliced bread.  I wouldn't be surprised if the newer models aren't better with longer battery life.  It has saved so much time while changing tires, adjusting planters and cultivators and changing tools on tillage equipment.
I can't imagine not having one.  I only have two batteries which it shares with a 4" grinder and sawsall but usually it has plenty of energy in one battery to do most jobs.  Takes about 20 min to recharge so even with a big job I can usually keep busy while the  one battery is charging and the other is out of charge.  If you haven't used one you will be amazed at just how handy they are.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:55am
I have a Dewalt small 1/2" I say small because I would compare it to a 3/8" air impact. I have used the larger 1/2" and it was really stout. I have never used any other brand but I really like mine. It really saves a lot of time and you don't have to wrestle an air hose all the time. Mine will usually handle a 3/4" socket real well as long as the bolt isn't really really tight.JP
Jack(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:57am
I agree with John.JP
jjrosty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:34pm
the question on  cordless Impacts is what are you going to use it for?
A 1/2 18v impact is barely sufficient to remove tight lug nuts. Most are rated about 250 ft lbs.  unless  all you do is lug nuts I would have to recommend  the smaller 1/4" or 3/8" impact. BTW  Dewalt & Milwaukee are the only big players in that 1/2" game.
Now the 1/4" & 3/8" impacts are small and useful  for most other jobs.  They will do wood screws, oil pan bolts, washers & dryers, a/c units  equipment assembly / disassembly  , most under hood applications.  I have a used tool store and we are always using the smaller units I also have to keep my 3 teenage daughters cars running & its the first tool I grab.  Bear in mind I have used almost all the makes out there & My favorite is a Bosch 10v lithium    Its small & has the 1/4 hex chuck.  oh yea and a light on the end, its not much of a light but in most places it very handy.
  I am not a fan of Dewalt.  I think they are over priced for mexican & china made tools
Good View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Good Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 1:02pm
Were I work the dewalts don't last I quit buying them for the guys the bosh will out last 3 to 1 here but nobody takes care of anything like they should. I did just get a milwaukee compact 1/2" chuck just because we get into tight places only had it a little while so far I like it.the worst one we had was a makita I don't know if it was there cheap version or what but it was terrible.
B212,716,two 314H's,WC,WD,D19,190XT
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 1:19pm

Snap on. I know they are a bit more money, but nobody has done the R&D on cordless impacts like Snap-on. You pay for what you get.I own a 1/2 and going to buy a 3/8 too

Edited by DonDittmar - 29 Oct 2010 at 1:19pm
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
gcalent View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcalent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 1:44pm
I have several over the years and the best one I ever had is the one I own now, a 28v Milwaukee. Still won`t compare to a air of the same size but does a pretty good job.
Pullin With AC
robo123 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robo123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 2:14pm
The snap on 18 volt is the only way to go.  Very powerfull very seldom have to use the 1/2 air wrench in its place.  If it will not take it off get the 3/4 inch.  The also have very good trade value after a few years.  I usally trade after 3 years for just a little more than the price of the batteries.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm
The Snap On is the way to go. I have a 3/8 cordless, and it is the handiest thing around, and the battery charge lasts what seems like forever! I even bought mine used from snap on man about 8 years ago. It was like new, and well taken care of. It is a 12V.

Edited by injpumpEd - 29 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 8:29pm
  milwuakee is the best 28v  will remove as much or more than our air  3 yr old + no problems
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 9:07am
Makita or bosch.   At the factory where I work they have tried them all.  They use them on the production line 24 hours a day, 6 days a week and many other places.  The makitas especially will hold up for nearly 2, some times 3 years without issues in this enviroment where people really don't take care.  The batteries last a year with that kind of abuse.  Have 2 chargers for each impact and the batteries make it about 3/4 of the way through a shift depending exactly what they are doing with them. 

The dewalts were ok but not as powerful or lasted as long.  The milwaukee were junk, as all milwakee cordless tools are(I wonder why they make such good corded tools but piss poor cordless).  Cases would crack, just fall apart.   All the above used for smaller than 1/2 bolt assembly work, 18v.

The snap on I used was powerful, but cost wise?  The one I saw/used was used infrequent to judge is durability.  Snap on does not make them though, they don't make any of their power tools. 

As to an electric impact being more powerful than an air impact, what do you have for an air impact?  I have yet to see any thing have more power than a good IR titanium with a IR231 right behind, but the 231's are very long lasting.  We has some at the plant that are 15+ years old, again 24 hours a day, just keep rebuilding the vanes in the motor every year or so. 
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:18am
I would say avoid anything with a NiCad battery if you don't use it daily. I have a 3/8 cordless impact I got from Matco. With a full battery (Lith ion) it will take lug nuts off. I've used Snap-On's 1/2" and it's awesome, but I just can't justify the price at this time.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 11:41am
Another vote for the snap on. Great piece. Pricey, but great none the less.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 12:56pm
at work i bought the guys a 18 v Dewalt set with impact, drill, sawzall, etc. WE later bought the  "small" impact and two more drills. We use the 3 drills and both impacts  several times a week. We standardized on that model.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 3:43pm
I have a funny story that I'll share.

At work we have an electronic bulliten board that employees can list items for sale.  I was looking at the items and a lady had a Dewalt 14.4 volt drill/driver listed.  "drill and charger good.  Batteries bad.  $10".  I called her as fast as I could and told her I'll take it.  I went and paid her and she said she would bring it to work the next day.  The next day when she brought it to me she said her husband was upset that she sold it for only $10 as it was a $300 drill when new.  He had told her that the batteries were bad and it would cost too much to replace them so he went and bought a new 18 volt unit.  He had told her that he would just throw the old 14.4 unit away as it wasn't any good any more.  She decided to try to get $10 for it as he said he was going to pitch it.  She was happy and he was PO'd.  Seems he just wanted a new drill driver and was planning on using them both.   LOL.  I took it home and charged both batteries and they are just fine.  Nothing wrong with them.  Best $10 I ever spent!  LOL
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
NickT(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickT(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 6:49pm
Dale, I have the 18 volt dewalt and the 18volt bosch. The bosch will spin off lug nuts on the rear wheels of a tractor or grain truck. Hammers faster too. I still can't believe what it will do, even out do air impact. I got it on sale for $200. The dewalt cost $249 and is ok for most jobs and has the rocker switch like the elec. impacts but will not even come close to breaking loose nuts and bolts that the bosch will do. With the bosch you can break smaller bolts. Nick
mnziggy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnziggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 8:51pm
Up here in da north, has been lots of reported problemswith lith/ion lasting in the cold. If your going to be using in the cold may want to consider NiCad.
Andrew(southernIL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew(southernIL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:54pm
My vote is a Dewalt. Bought one myself about a month ago and according to the box it has 300lb of torque. I haven't used Snap-on but have heard good about them. 
If fishing is a sport your looking at an athlete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic