This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clearing land with tree stumps?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clearing land with tree stumps?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:07pm
Ive got a few acres Im thinking of clearing - it has trees but all smaller 6-10 inch diameter,  was planning on keeping the wood , so whats the best way to go about this ? Cut the trees about 2 ft up so the dozer can push the stumps out ?  I think thatd be the best way but looking for opinions and real situations

Edited by DougG - 28 Jan 2022 at 1:08pm
Sponsored Links

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:25pm
Ask your dozer guy. That small of tree probably little problem  taking out stump with only a couple feet left. Large tree stumps come out easier attached to the tree.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:54pm
Leave the dozer out of it. Excavator with a thumb is the ticket.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:56pm
A dozer with a "root rake" is what I see them doing around here. If you can wait until the ground is as dry as possible less dirt will be clinging to the roots. I've also seen them left to lay separated for a good while instead of piling them up to come back later with a trackhoe with a thumb to pick them up as high as possible them drop them to get more dirt off before they grind them. EPA has gotten heavy handed about burning the stumps. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 2:10pm
I have about a dozen box elders that I plan to take down. I did some drainage work late least fall and I was telling the excavator operator that I will get him to dig out the stumps after I have them cut (very close to my warehouse). He told me that he would rather tip them over with the excavator and then I could cut the trees up.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 2:34pm

What do you plan for the ground after? If just sod and mowing then cut them close and use a stump grinder. Level and seed. Only if plowing for crops would you want to pull stumps, but you'd still have roots all around to catch the plow.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 3:20pm
I guess the big question is - do you have the dozer?

What are your plans for the land?  You could always cut them off at ground level and round-up any sprouting they try.  Confused
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 3:29pm
I have a Bobcat skid steer on tracks and recently put a Danhuser tree intimidator on it, I pull trees out roots and all when the ground isnt frozen then stack them with a grapple. I don't waste time waiting on folks to say they want to come and cut out the firewood, around here they never show up so I just pile everything up and burn it. To start the fires I use straw or old shop rags and once they take off I accelerate the burn with the help of a leaf blower. If you have a lot of loose sticks laying around the site I use a tractor and blade going in reverse with the blade curve towards tractor and make piles that I pick up with the grapple. That way I level the site and gather the sticks at the same time, no more hand picking. Then disk site to finalize leveling and chop up smaller sticks or bring the missed ones to the surface. Good luck and call the area fire departments before you start the fire and let them know you are doing a controlled burn and give them the location, that will eliminate uninvited guests from showing up with flashing lights. BTDT
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 3:52pm
Maybe you can get ole Shameless to come blow them out of the ground for you. LOL Had a coworker try that one time; i think some of the stumps landed on the neighbor's property. Small trees a dozer or excavator should work fine. Around here they use excavators, especially to take out the large stuff..
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 7:53am
10 years ago we had some fence rows cleaned out; most trees smaller than 18 in. Equipment guy said a track hoe was the ticket and seemed to be. Moved along pretty fast. Then he dug a couple of big holes and buried the stuff. All over in about a week.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 8:10am
Its just gonna be cow pasture - as small as they are it seems easy to push them out just dont think my NH 865 bobcats enough- as for stump grinding it would be a bunch of them, Heizel rents a JD 555 for $1000 a week, or did before things went haywire , they seem like a nice size machine , was an older guy down the road who was at 85 @ hr, new guys are all close to $200 , and seem to waste time Ive heard- see what happens- the excavator with a thumb does seem like a good idea too - thanks all

Edited by DougG - 29 Jan 2022 at 8:25am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 8:14am
Quite a few years ago, we cleared some land for pasture and buried the stumps. A few years later, we had several sinkholes in that area, as the stumps rotted away. 
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:01am
escavator with thumb gets my vote!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 9:24am
Buried stumps will rot and collapse over time....long time. County rd constructed around 1970. Buried stumps in draws then added fill. You can tell where they all are today!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 10:19am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCHNzri_TU
Sons Tree Puller for skid loaders - can be modified to work on a 3 point system also 
Shameless bought one for his tractor to clear field of larger trees 
Taking them out with a dozer is better if cut higher - ablout 6 ft of trunk - with a loader machine about the same but in most cases taking full tree down with machine as more leverage .
 Cutting them at 2 ft either a excavator or a backhoe will work - thumb is nice but I have taken many out with just my AC 715B , full trees I use HD5G but the FA FD5 with 6 way blade works well also as can angle and tilt blade to get at roots .
  I cleared a home site for driveway up a hill (about 1,000 ft length) and homeowned had cut several at 2 ft . Took longer to clear what he cut than it did to do rest of drive area with 6 ft cuts or full trees .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 11:19am
My uncle started clearing land right after WW2 with AC HD 14 that was bought from government surplus. Always wanted the whole tree, stumps was a all about digging on all sides. Even very large tap rooted white oaks ( 4 to 5 foot across) dig 2 sides, use dirt from the digging to make a ramp to get higher on the tree for more leverage. Or depending on the tree putting a cable up high and pull them over.

As with most things by the time he moved up to AC HD 21 with a ripper not many wanted oak trees removed anymore.

Since many things local affect what trees and there amount of roots. If you could talk to older operators in your area that have done the work, they all have ideas on the easiest way.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 10:44pm
i have cleared many acres of trees thru my life in many different ways. the puller i bought from Coke's son was the easiest way from all of them, grabbing from sizes 1/2 inch up to 8 inch sizes. the puller was mounted on the 3-pt of my 7010. it has pulled over 1500 trees of various sizes. alot of 20-30 and a few 40 foot tall ones. after pulling the trees out, it was easy to carry them still in the puller to where ever i was making a pile and releasing them on it. the puller shows no sign of wear on it yet. i have also used a heavy duty rear blade at times, backing up to a 4-6 inch tree and getting it to rocking back and forth, when a root or two pops up outta the ground, back up and get the blade under those roots, keep pressure on the roots while backing up and lifting at the same time and it'll pull those trees out with the roots all at once and ready to push into a pile. make sure to use the center of the blade framework and not the blade part on either side or you'll ruin the blade. oh...and the blade should be turned around backwards so the cutting edge is against the tree. only one tree stump i had to dig out, was a BIG sucker and had to dig down (used what is called a "GNUSE" scoup) far enough to cut the tap root, then i was able to ratchet strap the stump to the scoup and carry/drag it out of the hole, then filled the hole back in.  i have helped friends, they had hired some heavy equipment guys with excavators, they wanted the trees cut off about 3-4 foot above ground and then they would take over. i have also taken a one shank sub soiler into an area that was cleared of trees, no matter what method is used when pulling, pushing, yanking them out, there will always be lots of roots left. i put the sub soiler down into as far as it will go, drive as slow as to can and you'll see the ground moving behind your tractor, then up pops a big ole root to the top. drive thru that area in about 3 ft apart slices traveling the same direction each time. done this way you won't have the whole area dug/torn up. you will hafta pick up those roots by hand, throw them in/on a wagon or truck bed. as to burning green trees, they do burn well. just push into a pile, pack them tight with no dirt packed in with the trees, i just use diesel fuel in a pump sprayer, soak the bottom area, light, add some more diesel, as soon as you get the tree sap boiling, it'll take off and burn to whole pile by itself. best lit where small branches are packed   together. i have cleared alot of land area with farm equipment thru the years as i couldn't afford to hire the big stuff to come in and do it...you know....doing it the "farmer way"! and this is how i've done it thru the years. you get to know what does/doesn't work for you in your area if you do alot of it. remember i told you about that "GNUSE" scoup? well...i had an HD5 diesel and that GNUSE scoup on my 7010 would do more work faster than my HD5 would. the HD5 was a great little dozer, but was just slower doing some things. i still have the GNUSE, i sold the HD5. hope this helps you. oh...i did have a backhoe/loader thru the years too, i thought it would be the ticket to dig out stumps/trees, it did o-k...but just o-k, it too was slower than i thought it should be, and when digging out the smaller trees with the backhoe, then you still had to go thru and get the trees/stumps pushed/drug out of all the loose soil  making it harder to clean the area up.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 5:01am
Here's how NOT to do it!Wink

Note the color of the tractor!LOL

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:06am
On the other 'orange' site OTT, there's guys arguing which grapple is the best. One video shows guy pushing,pulling TREES , not bushes... then breaks the grapple,less than 8hrs after he installed it.
They all believe it should be replaced as 'warranty' yet I have a hard time trying to understand WHY they BELIEVE a 'grapple' is the RIGHT tool for tree/stump removal.
Call me the Crazy Canuck but I thought 'grapple' was to be used to 'grab' some material and transport ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:52am
I use a mini ex to dig out small hedge trees. 6"-8". Dig down a foot on 2 sides and rip the roots out and knock it over. Tap root on those aren't that much to deal with. Use the thumb to pile it up and cut it up for firewood.

Dug out a couple of 2' ash stumps I had already cut down. That took a little while and were pretty heavy. Had to half ass set it on the blade to keep from tipping me over to get to the burn pile.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 6:56am
Wish I had a video!LOL

Genius neighbor with his Dorf 8N and a loader.  Chained the tree up around 8 feet or so off the ground.  Not a terrible idea thinking "leverage" with a small tractor.  Except here's where it got interesting.  He connected the chain to his LOADER, which he also had had way up high.  Then, would back up at GREAT SPEED thinking he had to give it a yank.  Was great entertainment at lunch one day.LOLLOL
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 7:57am
He's LUCKY he didn't kill himself ! Saw a JEEP 'stuck in the mud', nuther guy tossed chain between his Ramcharger and JEEP...2-3 pulls later guy watching BETWEEN them was very,very fortunate he didn't lose both his legs when the chain broke.

Lazyts View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lazyts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 12:08pm
I have pulled lots of stumps.  Excavator is very effective and clean, but can be very tedious on larger tracts.  We have used a D8K tractor with root rake on bigger fields that worked very well- usually putting one tooth on the middle of the stump would break even large oak stumps.  D7H with ripper worked ok to split stumps, but ended up with quite a bit of dirt that way, we put them in windrows and went through with an excavator later.  Also have used 11-B Allis with rake for smaller poplar stumps-works well but very hard on the tractor!
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 3:53pm
2 of us cleaned up my old building site few years ago. Had his Samsung 160 excavator 30" bucket & hydr thumb and Cat 953 track loader. Only the largest of the Ash & Chinese Elms were a problem. Some trunks were over 4' trees & way taller than windmill. Any under 6" the Cat just pushed over.  I have Aerial picture of place from late 1940's the larger trees were not small then. We'd dug 2 burn holes, 2 old barns, 2 24' s 48' hog houses, chicken house, 3 9 pen hog bldgs, 20' x 48' machine shed, 2 car garage plus the trees went in them. They burnt several weeks even after a couple good rains. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:32am
Check out the Woodland stump grinder on Youtube. They were $2400 and $300 shipping last fall. They were back ordered a couple months then but with winter here they might catch up.
I went on auction zip and found a like new 2020 a full 4 hours from home. Got it bought for $1400. Have used to grind about 20 stumps so far. Can get down at least 9 inches. No mess. Just rake the chips and dirt back in the hole and back up over the next one. I am using a AC 5015 4WD that has only 18 HP. I run it in Crawl #1 and it works good. They recommend a Hydro transmission. I'm sure I have to make more passes but I getter done. I also put an adjustable arm on the left side of the 3 point arm so I can get the grinder all the way down to the ground for maximum depth. That's why I said "at least 9 inches above. Haven't tried for maximum depth yet. After the first few with someone else telling me where to place the grinding wheel because you can't see well from the tractor seat I bought a camera which mounts to the hole where the draw bar goes and then the screen is stuck to the hood in front of me so I don't have to twist around trying to see what I'm doing.
Have at least 75 stumps to do in the spring.
I give it a very good review
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:07am
hmm...
I have Aerial picture of place from late 1940's the larger trees were not small then.

funny how that works.... !

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 7:57am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Its just gonna be cow pasture ...

Lots of good, well-reasoned advice above Thumbs Up

Do you really need to remove the stumps? Cows have four legs and a mouth; they are quite capable of walking around stumps while grazing.

I have cleared modest amounts of land for cow pasture and just cut the stumps as low as I could with the chainsaw, then used an old narrow section of springtooth (I used horses to pull it, but an ATV or even your Bobcat would suffice) to tear it up and then sowed pasture mix in with a hand-held whirlygig device.

If the stumps are too closely spaced you could probably remove some of the smaller ones with the Bobcat to get enough space to work between the larger stumps.

If you feel the need to remove the stumps for aesthetic reasons, well, that's gonna cost you. The cows won't care either way Wink

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:36am
Been thinking this way too Les ! It wont be a hay field- seen a video of a stump grinder on a track hoe , that thing was neat -fast and very efficent - thatd be the way to go if i get serious on - no stumps- 

Edited by DougG - 03 Feb 2022 at 11:11am
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 12:44pm
For no bigger than 6 to 10 inch stumps, a mini ex would take them out quick and do less damage to the ground. ( smaller holes around the trees and less dirt in the burn pile)

OR I could loan you MOOSE! lol!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic