This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Garden time!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garden time!
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm
Well, it's time! ---a bit late for onions but I got half of them in yesterday,--kinda was a struggle but figure getting the rest of them in.
Took one of the horses to town and did manage to do a small garden for a guy that has been good to us over the years and he can now start his early stuff. Once tilled he keeps it loose with his baby tiller.
any of you guys doing gardens this year???

Pic of the row I started to plant.

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:34pm
Still too cold and wet here in southern Ontario, though the rhubarb and garlic are up, well, just..... We'll need a week of warm, sunny air and a light breeze to dry things up 'just right' to start playin in the dirt !
Serious planting  won't happen until last week in May though.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:12pm
acfleet, I have been working on getting mine broke. Been rainy here all year. Gets almost dry enough, then more rain. Hannah and I cleaned out the strawberries and fertilized them last Saturday. Looking forward to garden time. Shouldn't be long. We have six nest of bluebirds so far. Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:34pm
been collecting old stock water tanks all winter, gonna be my gardens this year. prolly all taters.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:00pm
I've heard good things about doing it that way Shammers, definitely help with the ol back.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:08pm
Ground is frozen suposed to get 8" of snow tomorrow. I have seeds and hope to get them started in the green house in 2 or 3 weeks.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:10pm
I had good luck with the ones I had last year, put a bale of straw on edge in them, pull the bottom plug out, and put potting soil or some animal waste in on top and sides and plant. water a lot at first to get the straw bale soaked, what isn't needed will drain out. I put them out in full sun.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 2:49pm
I got spinach out of the ground, it was date 2018 so I planted it a few weeks ago and it breakin threw the ground now.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:27pm
I filled my planter troughs in the extra warm dry Feb we had out here. The city son and grandson planted some stuff the 7th of March,I told him it was to early. First the linnets eat all the leafs off and left tomato stumps. But last week between rains we frost 2 mornings.

I have 12 acres I can play on with garden,but the price of seed corn is stopping me getting much bigger than my normal acre of dry land corn.
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 7:43am
ac fleet,
How did you manage to get stuff planted?  It's too wet where we're at and we're only about 30 miles east of you.  You must have missed some of the last rains that we got.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
one more drying day, and i hope to get onions and taders in tomorrow down Springfield way.  Confused
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 9:45am
-20 F here this morning and more snow on the way!!  Won't be any gardening here for a long time yet!!  
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
The last heavy rains did go around us here, so ground is drying fast, will probably end up hauling water to the gardens again this year----will have a lot smaller area to tend this year so maybe wont be too bad.
Getting down to weed will be the problem!
Got the rest of the onion row planted---250 feet long row. normally I always planted 7 rows like this.
Potatoes ready to cut 20 pounds this year as opposed to the 150 pounds that usually get planted. Would like to get them in sometime around the 10"th of this month.
Need to finish weeding the strawberries again ---did them last fall but missed a bunch of weeds. Preen usually helps keep young weeds down but didn't get any on this year.
I will try to use the lighter creeper in the berry patch. narrow tires on it so less damage to plants and fruit if we have some.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
Got the potatoes planted yesterday so it's a week early and possible rain, time to plant them. The ground don't work the best but it is what it is. Didn't freeze out like it usually does so the texture is not the best.
Might be bad year for bugs too since they didnt freeze.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm
Wink Frost again this morning in sun California LOL over on the ocean side but the inland side the coast range. But still only 10 miles from the big puddle known as the Pacific Ocean.LOLLOLLOL Just right on the edge so blanket would of probably kept veggies,but just wait a week or 2 more.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 3:09pm
We have had frost the last 2 mornings here in Ohio then up to 60 during the day. Hope that the last of the frost, but probably won't be usually not frost free till Memorial Day
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm
Blizzard conditions yesterday Interstate closed from Fargo to Canada. No travel advised eastern half of state.   I'll probly have to wait a few weeks before planting. I'll try to start indoor seeds in a couple weeks.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm
It's been kind of nice here the last few days, down in the upper 30s but now the next couple it'll get down in the 20s.  Too early here yet.  My Grandpa always said you can't plant here until after the 10th of May.  And we have got a freeze and snow in May early.

I've had GREAT luck with potatoes the last few years.....prolly about 15 anyway,  Take your plow and dig a furrow and lay your seed spuds in and then just cover with straw.  SIMPLE to uncover and very easy.  I wouldn't do it any other way now.  The hard part now is finding straw bales....

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

We have six nest of bluebirds so far. Tracy
How much land do you have Tracy??  I've only got 5 boxes on my 20+ acres.

Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

I've heard good things about doing it that way Shammers, definitely help with the ol back.
  I never thought of using old cattle tanks....I've been buying wood and building them.  I wasn't gonna put any in this year, because of all the rain we had last year, but with the possible food shortage looming, might be a good idea.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

It's been kind of nice here the last few days, down in the upper 30s but now the next couple it'll get down in the 20s.  Too early here yet.  My Grandpa always said you can't plant here until after the 10th of May.  And we have got a freeze and snow in May early.

I've had GREAT luck with potatoes the last few years.....prolly about 15 anyway,  Take your plow and dig a furrow and lay your seed spuds in and then just cover with straw.  SIMPLE to uncover and very easy.  I wouldn't do it any other way now.  The hard part now is finding straw bales....

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

We have six nest of bluebirds so far. Tracy
How much land do you have Tracy??  I've only got 5 boxes on my 20+ acres.

Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

I never thought of using old cattle tanks....I've been buying wood and building them.  I wasn't gonna put any in this year, because of all the rain we had last year, but with the possible food shortage looming, might be a good idea.

Ted, we have forty acres at the farm. The bluebird houses we put around the perimeter of fields. Space them a hundred or so yards apart. Checked today and have eggs in all but two houses. I like the Petersen style of houses. Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DiannneBulosan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiannneBulosan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:27pm
Thanks for your advice on that, guys. Very reasonable! Hey, ac fleet. I wish you had kept us updated on your garden. I’m really curious about it. Hope your plants are doing great. Tbh, I’ve just hired a landscaping company (jscustomlandscaping.com) which my friend has advised me on. I’m excited to see what they will do to my garden. I have some apple trees there, so I hope to see something creative. Anyway, I’ll be waiting for your reply, man. Keep us updated!! Best wishes to you, folks. Take care.

Edited by DiannneBulosan - 24 Sep 2022 at 5:07pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 11:02am
Well this years garden ( 2022) is almost in the books. Not as good as 2020 was due to the dry weather early and hail storms and wind  just recently but still produced heavily so we had several truckloads to take to Midwest Food Bank this year.
I have a lot of pix. but have to resize them before they will post so when I get time I will do a thread on this years gardens!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:29pm
  My gardens are cleaned and lime spread waiting for them to dry out and I will go over them with a disc to mix the dirt and leaves together for the winter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic