This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

garden tiller issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: garden tiller issue
    Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 7:40pm
I just got a 3hp AC garden tiller. It starts on the first pull. I idle it to warm up then go to till and it tills for 5 seconds then cuts out. Start it up and it does the same thing. if I engage the tines in the air it stays running. .. but when I put it in the ground and just scratch the dirt it turns off. .. what's wrong?

Edited by Austin(WI) - 01 Apr 2015 at 8:47pm
"Better By Design"
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 7:47pm
sounds like the carb needs to be pulled out of the tank and cleand good make sure gov is adjusted proper make sure fly wheel key isnot partly sheared then if there is still no power the valves probley need lapped and lash anjusted accordingly
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:31pm
I'll have to give it a looksee. Hopefully it is an easy fix. Bought it from a guy on Craigslist....beginning to think he wasn't entirely honest when we said "Runs Great"
"Better By Design"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:41pm
hmm..
it tills for 5 seconds then alerts out

does it have a 'low oil alert' aka shuts engine off ??

if so could be low on oil or at a 'bad angle' and it 'thinks' it's out of oil. I disconnect the 'low oil shutoff' on my tiller cause on hills it was always shutting off unless the sensor was on the 'low side' of the hill.

hth
jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:45pm
No, plenty of oil in it. I checked that right away. I just start tilling and a few seconds later it just shuts down. 

"Better By Design"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 8:47pm
Sorry...meant to say "cuts out"....I was typing from my phone. :\

"Better By Design"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 7:02pm
I have the garden tiller running smooth! It had regular unleaded gas in it...with ethanol.My guess is the last owner left it in over winter and gummed everything up. so I drained it, and then I put in premium gas with no ethanol. I did this while it was running and you could tell right away the RPMs shot up! I ran it for a little while to burn all that old stuff out, and then it ran smooth. It doesn't turn off anymore.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 02 Apr 2015 at 7:03pm
"Better By Design"
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2015 at 8:17pm
you cant beat that    some one said about the oil alert  on rear tine tillers were the engines run continiuly on a hard angle i have our customers run the oil leval high [fill check when its on that angle ]   even thought you shoulndt over fill but we are seeing less bad cranks  and the oil switch is happy 
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 8:24am
Well, the guy wasn't telling you a story. It did run good. Till you put it in the ground to till. LOL! Glad to see it was an easy fix. I wouldn't think the ethanol had anything to do with the running of it. It sounds like the carbs enrichment circuit was varnished up from sitting. Happy tilling!
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 6:13am
Nice hear she runs now ! Yup, old gas gums things up !! I've been adding 'fuel injector cleaner' into ALL my gas engine for past 10-12 years and haven't had to tear ANY of them apart since! When you consider a 'fleet' of 4 rel tractors, 4-7 riders, 2-3 push mowers,couple of tillers , 3 snow blowers,.... it's a REAL treat to NOT have to tear ANY of them down to 'clean the carb'.

just food for thought

Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic