This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Galion motor grader with an allis chalmers diesel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtunnelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Galion motor grader with an allis chalmers diesel
    Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 5:18am
I recently purchased a galion motor grader, with an allis chalmers 4 cyl diesel engine. I was wondering if this was repowered. No data tag on engine or grader, maybe someone knows where to look.  
Sponsored Links

ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:00am
There should be a metal tag on the lefthand side of the engine. Stamped on it will be the series number such as D-2200 or D-262 ect; the engine catalog number which describes how the engine is configured (parts & subassemblys used in its build and finally the engine serial number.
Xtunnelman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtunnelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:02am
I looked at the motor yesterday but there is no nameplate, there is a rectangular flat spot with two brads sticking out which is probably where it was originally located. I have been shrinking up the photos to get them under the 2mb window. On the right side of the engine next to the oil fill spout is where, I believe, the name plate was originally located.I sent a picture of the left side too. The engine runs fine, I would just like to know which motor it is in case I do have problems. 
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:27am
looks like the 200 inch motor.  2 cylinders less than the 301.  It was used in the 6000 tractors and F2 combine

Edited by CAL(KS) - 05 Oct 2018 at 8:28am
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Xtunnelman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xtunnelman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 9:48am
Thanks for the information. Did you ever hear of an AC motor in a Galion motor grader?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:16am
i have not, but i have only been around since 1980.  Big smile
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:59pm
My guess is that it has been re-powered. Without the picture I would have thought maybe a 344 cu. in. but with a 200 cu. in. it will be under powered for what that grader was intended to do. It will still do a fine job regrading driveways etc but when you start pushing with the blade full of dirt or gravel in front of it you will soon notice the power that is missing.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by Xtunnelman Xtunnelman wrote:

I looked at the motor yesterday but there is no nameplate, there is a rectangular flat spot with two brads sticking out which is probably where it was originally located. I have been shrinking up the photos to get them under the 2mb window. On the right side of the engine next to the oil fill spout is where, I believe, the name plate was originally located.I sent a picture of the left side too. The engine runs fine, I would just like to know which motor it is in case I do have problems. 

The raised pad on the block just under the cylinder head behind the the alternator is where the engine ID plate was mounted. It was attached with 4 “brass” hard rivets. Sometime in the late 70’s they started to use a “soft” expansion rivet that was “set “ by driving in a small center pin.
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by CAL(KS) CAL(KS) wrote:

looks like the 200 inch motor.  2 cylinders less than the 301.  It was used in the 6000 tractors and F2 combine

Looks like it’s a D-2200.
You can somewhat narrow down what it came out of. If there is no evidence of Orange paint on it then you can rule out that in came from a combine. All combine engines shipped from the Harvey Engine plant were painted orange.

Edited by ACjack - 05 Oct 2018 at 8:08pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:14am
Our township once had a Gallion grader which used a 426 Allis engine so it's no stretch to imagine you have original engine.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:37am
Galion used almost ANY engine they could buy, saw them with Gas or Diesel IH, Cummins, Hercules and other engines, cannot say ever saw a AC in one but why not?
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Our township once had a Gallion grader which used a 426 Allis engine so it's no stretch to imagine you have original engine.

The Allis 426 would have ample power as they were rated at 150 to 210 HP in industrial applications (the ones I recall). Xtunnelman doesn't give a model or size on this Galion but if it has tandems with at least 13.00 x 24 tires and at least a 13 to 14' mouldboard then 100 to 200 HP would be needed. The 200 cubic inch is only around 50 HP. There may be small Galion graders that I don't know about. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 4:18pm
Eric

A common small Galion is a 503.  I've heard of IH BTD8 and TD9B engines here in Oz.

Apparently the running gear is the same as a DD
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 9:35pm
The Galion 503 used the same Clark trans axle as the AC  D and DD graders so it wouldn't be a stretch to have an AC repower.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Ian Beale Ian Beale wrote:

Eric

A common small Galion is a 503.  I've heard of IH BTD8 and TD9B engines here in Oz.

Apparently the running gear is the same as a DD

Yes I can see that the 200 would work well if this is a 503 model. I had not known of the 503 until now. Thanks for educating me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic