This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Funky craftsmanship

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funky craftsmanship
    Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
My wife bought a very old (makeup desk)??? That she wants redone and put in our bedroom. One leg was broken which I saved and have looking good. It has six drawers in the front and I decided to make all new drawer fronts. Every drawer is a different size. There is no mixing these up. There is no mas producing these. Each opening is a different size. This should take a few hrs. Nope it’s an all day deal.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 2:17pm
I can relate, helped my Dad refinish a side display desk for my grandmother, had sat in a dirt floor garage(her sister's) for almost twenty years before we saw it. Had pigeon hole drawers, each one unique to its own home, even the old hand crafted hinges were side specific. Got it done but was a quite an ordeal! That was almost fifty years ago.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 3:05pm
 Well,,I'll tell you for sure,,,Thad,,,,Ms Jenn has got herself a KEEPER,,,Clap I've always liked the "thought" of workin with wood because of the beautiful grain on most of them,,,Clap I can saw on it and drive nails thru it but thas about all..Wink I'm bettin some serious money,,she ain't fixin to trade you in any time soon,,,,,,ClapClap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 4:40pm
Joe all our bedroom furniture is mixmatched antiques that we redid and she paints it with some kind of chalk paint then when it’s dry I wax the high traffic surfaces. I’ve made all our kitchen and living room tables and night stands and such. I have a whole bunch of rough cut ceiling joistst that I saved from a 1880’s hotel. I’m also making black bean stew and hillbilly cornbread as we speak. I’d complain but she worked all night and is sleeping so she can do it again. She works 6 nights straight this week.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 5:33pm
Thad, I guess we think alike. A lot of our furniture is mismatched antiques that we salvaged from out grandparents houses or things I built. I'm sure I did not do nearly as good a job as you on the building. My desk in the office came from work, it is solid wood and had been set outside to ruin in the weather so I told them I would haul it off and save them the trouble of tossing it in the dump, got a wooden office chair with it also. I think Jenn might keep you around if you keep doing good.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 8:25pm
 HMMmmmm,,,Hillbilly Cornbread,,,,,,,that sounds good,,,I like and eat a lot of corn bread and since I'm the Chief Cook,,,I get to do it My Way,,,,,Wink  I usually buy the small pkgs when they are 2/$1 and stock up. I like to throw in a can of whole kernal corn and that really gives it some body,,,, 
  Say,,,what's your recipe for Hillbilly Cornbread,,??
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:28pm
Might have to use a little moonshine along with the buttermilk in hillbillly cornbread. And it has to be cooked in a cast iron skillet.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2018 at 9:43pm
Working with that old stuff can sure be a pain in the back or your lap!  But it's sure a source of pride when you show it off to others. Big smile
Yup, you two are good for each other!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 12:19am
Ours is just old junk, lot from the flea markets, a lot of junk from Pamadia store,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:50am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

HMMmmmm,,,Hillbilly Cornbread,,,,,,,that sounds good,,,I like and eat a lot of corn bread and since I'm the Chief Cook,,,I get to do it My Way,,,,,Wink  I usually buy the small pkgs when they are 2/$1 and stock up. I like to throw in a can of whole kernal corn and that really gives it some body,,,, 
  Say,,,what's your recipe for Hillbilly Cornbread,,??

Joe like ole Hubert says you got to use buttermilk and a cast iron skillet. If I used any moonshine I don’t Think Jenn would keep me around. Lol
I also use the Jiffy boxes. The trick is to preheat the oven and put that progressed cast iron skillet in the oven and get it hot while you make the mix. Pull out that ht skillet and pour in the mix. It will sizzle when it hrs the skillet. Bake 25 min in 400. It will have a crust and fall out of the skillet. Wipe the skillet and you’re done.
A touch of extra flour will make it stick together but I’m trying to be gluten free as possible.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 4:53am
I like this old furniture when it’s done. She gets matching satin nickel knobs and it all seems to work together when it’s done.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:03am
 HMMmmm,,I like the sound of the fixins to the Hillbilly Cornbread,,,Gonna go get some buttermilk as I don't usually use that stuff much. And,,,,and,,,I got several of them cast iron pots and pans. Reminds me of my "Bean Pot"  when I was swampin on the dump trk at work with my Uncle,,,we went to throw trash at the local dump and first thing I see is a 12"cast iron fryin pan that somebody had chunked,,I bail out the trk and go get it quick as the landfill operator was close by watchin us unload. I then spot this Bean Pot 8" diameter by bout 10" high so,,in the trk it goes too,,,,He comes over and asks bout what I picked up. I told him and he tells me,,," I fount the lid to that pot this morning,,and I'll make you a deal,,,You give me the pot, or I give you the lid".  CHIT,,,my Daddy taught me how to add and subtract pretty early in life so,,I tell him,,,"If it all the same to you,,,I'll take your lid",,,,,he stared at me for some time prolly thinkin I'm a smart azzed young kid,,but he went to his trk and brought back the lid to the Bean Pot. I've made many a pot of beans while at Huntin camp with thet thing and always think bout that old man and his generous offer,,,,,Clap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:10am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I like this old furniture when it’s done. She gets matching satin nickel knobs and it all seems to work together when it’s done.

Yeah,,Thad,,I bet your house looks really nice as those kind of furniture and trimmings tend to give a house a nice warm lived-in feeling. I don't care for the artdeco fashions or much less the chrome or all black themes,,,UGHhhhh  
  That pic you sent me of Jenn's kitchen says it all,,,,ClapClap
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

HMMmmm,,I like the sound of the fixins to the Hillbilly Cornbread,,,Gonna go get some buttermilk as I don't usually use that stuff much. And,,,,and,,,I got several of them cast iron pots and pans. Reminds me of my "Bean Pot"  when I was swampin on the dump trk at work with my Uncle,,,we went to throw trash at the local dump and first thing I see is a 12"cast iron fryin pan that somebody had chunked,,I bail out the trk and go get it quick as the landfill operator was close by watchin us unload. I then spot this Bean Pot 8" diameter by bout 10" high so,,in the trk it goes too,,,,He comes over and asks bout what I picked up. I told him and he tells me,,," I fount the lid to that pot this morning,,and I'll make you a deal,,,You give me the pot, or I give you the lid".  CHIT,,,my Daddy taught me how to add and subtract pretty early in life so,,I tell him,,,"If it all the same to you,,,I'll take your lid",,,,,he stared at me for some time prolly thinkin I'm a smart azzed young kid,,but he went to his trk and brought back the lid to the Bean Pot. I've made many a pot of beans while at Huntin camp with thet thing and always think bout that old man and his generous offer,,,,,Clap

My grandmother's substitute for buttermilk was a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice+ the rest of the cup measure filled up with regular milk...  Never could tell the difference, myself...Wink
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:42pm
Working with wood is pretty neat. I havent done a lot but each time I do i like the results!
Good luck finishing the table! Pictures would be good too!
I re-worked a childs dresser that was mine when I was born and had set neglected for 60 years. This was refurbed for our first greatgrandson. Was a fun project.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:44pm
OK Joe being cheap dose not mean you don't have other options for your buttermilk. My wife uses Dave's method sometimes. But if your deep freeze is not overflowing with elk and venison measure out how much you need for a batch of cornbread. Put that amount in a paper cup or even in zip lock bags and freeze. Then you just get the right amount out for the next batch. Wink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 3:09pm
 Well,,Ray,,,you been listenin to ole Shameless too much ,,,I ain't cheep,,,I just ,,,,,lemme see,, what was thet word I used last,,,? The one everybody like'ed so much,,,Frugal,!!!,,,yeah,,thas it,,Frugal,,it kinds sounds ya know almost ,,,,,chic,,,,,heh, heh, heh,,,,,,,, I know ole Shameless may not agree,,,but I am frugal,,,,most of the times,,,the rest of the times,,,I'm just flat azzed cheep,,,,WinkWink chit,,I got plumb off the subject,, didn't I,,???
 Anyways,,,,chit, forgot my train of thought,,,I'll be back,,,,LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 9:41pm
    THad,,,,!!!!!!,,,,I did it,,,,,I dug out one of my old cast iron pans and chit it been a few years I ain't had it on a fire or in an oven,,,so I had to do a little scrubbin to get all the gookies off,,,and,,,,and,,,she was ready to go,,So I mixed up two of the small store bought packages and did the buttermilk 'stead of the milk and,,,,and it pretty dang good,,I'll say,,,!!! I didn't add the whole corn to this mix but I am goin to do so on next batch. I did the trick of puttin the greased up pan in the 450°  oven bout 10 minutes before adding the mix and 20 minutes later I had me some beautiful golden brown corn bread,,,!!!!Clap Even better,,,,By puttin the pan in the HOT oven and then pourin the mix into the hot pan,,,none of the corn bread stuck to the pan. I sliced it up and it just come out the pan pretty as you please. Give the pan a wipe and it ready for some more cookin,,,,,Clap Chit,,,my phone did an update of the Android system and now I can't upload any pics of thet purty corn bread to my desktop,,,,,FITZzZzzzchit,,,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic