This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FPD50 Fork Lift Transmission Oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stationmotorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FPD50 Fork Lift Transmission Oil
    Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 4:57am
Hi.

Just doing some repairs to our FPD-50-24 and need to swap the oil seals in the tranmission output and torque convertor.

We dont have any parts/service manuals for our truck - so does anybody know what oil it should take? ATF / Hydraulic etc?

Also does anybody have a source for parts for these as we need the driveshaft universal joints - badly worn!

Thanks,

Jonathan
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 6:01am
WOW , I thought I had the ONLY fpd50-24-2ps in the World !! Now I'm hoping there's  3rd who knows what goes into tranny and Ujoint numbers ...
I've got about 20* ( 3/8") of slop in my joints..bet no one ever greased them.. I think heat and a NEW, correct Allen key might get them apart but I need to raise it up a foot or more to crawl under. If you have removed them from the top, please tell me the secret. ANy bearing shop can replace IF they can see the old...getting them out is the challenge.
I  have possible wheel cylinder numbers here though.....
Jay in Canada,eh !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
stationmotorsport View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stationmotorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2019 at 11:07am
Hi Jay.

Ours isnt a 2 speed! Basic forwards, neutral and backwards!

We have a work pit in the floor of our workshop so have managed to get them out from underneath.

After measuring them up I have been able to cross reference them to part numbers but nothing seems available in the UK...

The ones fitted to ours match to DanaSpicer 3050742000 / 3050742020 or SKF UJ549

We sorted the brakes on ours long ago! We machined them out and fitted stainless steel sleeves into our cylinders!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2019 at 5:37am
yeah 2 speed...never used 'high'...as I have a 'special' low compression - high blowby Buda diesel.....sigh. Added some 'creative' PCV to suck fumes into the air intake.
Local diesel shop said 5000 Canucks to rebuild AFTER it arrives.Still trying o fgure out HOW to remove the 4000# cast iron weight off the beast. Changing the fan belt is fun...
A pit would be great....
I'm wondering if we could just order the u-joint 'crosses' , not the complete unit?
My right rear tire sometimes goes flat. pump up and hrs or weeks later ,goes flat again..
One of life's mysterys.....
Overall it's been $1700 very well spent !
Jay

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stationmotorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 3:41am
Well,

After doing a lot of research I have found out it is a Borg Warner T12 1speed transmission (code 10-01). This transmission used a Type 'F' ATF fluid (which is thicker than Dexron). I believe, due to reading through datasheets, this was specified for transmissions that used asbestos clutches rather than the newer paper clutches.

The part# for the UJ is an SKF part - UJ549 - however this seems to be unavailable anywhere in the UK. I have gone through as many parts catalogues as possible and know the exact measurements etc (Bearing Cup Diameter: 4C, Span: 107.92 mm, Block Style: LWD, Span Holes Centres: 87.32 mm, Bracket Holes Distance: 36.52 mm, Block bearings 8 holes not threaded). After searching and searching I have found a part number for DanaSpicer (3050742020) this is unfortunately a HWD so will need milling to fit. I have a contact at Dana who is trying to locate 2 UJ's for me.

Our truck is a bit of a hybrid! Many years ago it came to us with a non-starting engine which was found to be a blocked particulate filter. We removed the filter and the engine ran but it was in a bad way (we assumed it had been rev'd hard before the filter totally clogged). We have ended up fitting a 2.5Di engine out of a Ford Transit van, this has given us many years of service until the transmission started to leak.

We thought the trans was just the seals, but upon inspecting the torque convertor one of the internal screws in the pump shaft had gone - it has mashed up the inside of the convertor really good, but it still works, the leak is from the missing screw. We have redrilled and replaced the screw and used loctite on all the remaining screws.

Were in the middle of making a new flex plate as it has got fatigue cracks (after 49 odd years its expected!!) and then we can get it all back together again!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 6:00am
re: UJs... I've heard of people that get someone 'from the other side of the pond' bring small stuff over when they visit. Two UJs would easily fit into a carryon bag. Maybe someone you know has a friend coming for a visit ?
hmm.. interesting engine swap ! After falling down when I was told about the diesel rebuild cost ,let alone the 'joy', the 'fun' of removing it.... I worked out a viable option.  Relace the diesal with TWO, 14HP gas engines. One for the drive, one for the hydraulics.
If, IF, the engine dies I'll probably take on the project. It sounds reasonably entertaining, at least in my head !

Jay

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stationmotorsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2019 at 8:30am
When the engine is reassembled onto the trans and hydraulic pump Ill take some pictures for you. And a few pictures of it back together.

Its a bit MadMax looking but it serves its purpose!

We are currently using a 1962 International Harvester Payloader to lift everything up and move it about!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic