This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Structures 1964 Allis D15 Series II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by structures structures wrote:

Thanks Chris slowly but surely!

Have a question.  On the lift lever in the pic.  Is there something that goes on the nipple which holds the pump lever in the locking positions?  Looks like something used to be attached there??  Thanks

There is a spring the goes under the lever to hold it up against the quadrant.  Over the years, many break or rust off (yours included).  I see DJs (forum sponsors) carries these springs.  I haven't needed any yet, but I plan on buying a couple next year.  AGCO might also carry it, but I never asked them yet.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Sponsored Links

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 6:55pm
Thanks Chris slowly but surely!

Have a question.  On the lift lever in the pic.  Is there something that goes on the nipple which holds the pump lever in the locking positions?  Looks like something used to be attached there??  Thanks

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:58am
Those orange parts are finding there way to the home positions! Nice work on the controls! New rubber looks great on the rear!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 7:40am
Thanks Dave and Hubnut.

Got a little update.  More allis wind chimes.  Working on the left side now and making my way up.

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 7:26am
Got time to read through all the pages finally. It all looks great what you're doing! You seem to know about everything working on this! Front half looks beautiful, and like no possibly wore part was left un fixed!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 7:41pm
That is really nice restoration.  Love the pics and effort.  Thanks.

1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 10:38am
Guys, Thanks so much for the comments.  

Dan I wouldn't feel so bad, these tractors seem so tough and well built that unless they're just grossly neglected for 20/30 years, they just keep running.  Hard to tear apart a running tractor!  My Dad's 190xt and D17 IV were the work horses of the farm when I was a kid.  Still running today.  I honestly just wanted to get this running and use it, but my projects always have a way of growing!!

Chris, you're going to have a fleet going pretty soon!

Joe, fired her up a few months ago and drove around the yard.  It was hard to park and tear it down, but had to be done with the front end freshly painted!  :)

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 7:43am
Robert,
Amazing job. Inspires me to go a bit further on my D15 series 1. Special to me as it was my grandpas so its cool to see you save this one.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2016 at 5:49am

As always,,Robert,,Lookin Good,,,,!!I could'nt remember,,but you already put a spark in the new engine,,didn't you,,,???Clap
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 9:16pm
That is looking real gooooood! The details are really beginning to stand out!
I went looking for a D14 for sale today. No luck or gone? Anyway our Grandson Nic texted me with a CA for sale not to far away. May go look at that one.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:12am
You are doing a fantastic job on this. Wish I had the patience to do one that way. Always in a hurry to get done so I can use it again. Maybe the 57 WD45 I drug home this spring will get this kind of treatment.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:05am
It is looking great.   Making me feel bad about mine again just looking at the photos. Great work.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 10:02am
Thanks Dave and Chris.  It's been a long time.  I always manage to get side tracked with other projects.

Well after 3 days of cleaning, sand blasting and painting.  I was able to get the snap coupler, traction booster, starter, gear shift, and most of the right side back together.

Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 7:37am
I hadn't really followed this thread till now. It looks like you're doing a really nice job. It took me 2 years to do that to my WD45. They look so beautiful after spraying that first layer of orange on!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:57am
Yep! The old orange wind chimes! This is going to look real nice. Your putting paint where it never had it when new!
 Keep up the good work on this saved family tractor! Thanks for the update!
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:41am
Thanks Chris and Joe.

Got a few more pics this morning.  I've been working on the underside, traction booster and coupler bell housing.  I'll spare you all the black primer. Wink

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:18pm
Robert,
 This cleaned up very well, and looks great! Now I can see what my 17 would look like if I did a clean and paint. Thanks for the update! Its coming along nicely!
Regards,
 Chris

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:47am

Lookin Good,,,Robert,,Lookin Good,,,!!!!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:07am
Good Morning.  Been awhile.  Time sure can get away.  Got to spend a little time in the garage yesterday.  Laid a little more orange down.

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 6:36pm
Boy Rob, the back end of that thing came out sweeet! Its amazing when they're coming apart how nasty everything looks till you get the heavy crap scrapped off and get r' blasted! Now the back will match the front. Nice n' clean and Orange!  LOL!
Steve
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:34pm
Update time.  

Thanks Chris for the advice.  Shifter arm comes out real easy with a few taps of the hammer.

Also got the back end blasted and primered.  That was a 3 day ordeal.  Masking the front half worked okay, but it still managed to get dusty underneath the plastic sheeting.

Day 1 was just getting it ready to roll out.  Made brackets from 1/4" steel plate to mount from the fender location.  Then used a hoist with a leveler on it so I could blast all around the axles.

Day 2 I got one half blasted.  

Day 3 got the other half blasted and primered the tractor.  Wanted to paint some orange just didn't have enough time, and painting it outside is pretty tough with the wind blowing and all the sand below.  Epoxy primer is pretty forgiving stuff but the top generally isn't.

And back in the garage.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:36pm
Robert,
 Broken rusted stuck bolts are one of the big issues on these restoration projects.

( I was setting next to one of my other project, a TD6 IH dozer loader. It was my Uncle Jacks. Anyway, I was looking at all the rusted and busted hardware. Almost every bolt is a issue. Setting there with a Barqs root beer, I look down and find "JC" his initials, welded onto one of the bolsters staring at me. That's family tractors! They just keep talking to you!)

I have stepped up some not so good tapped holes to get a good secure fit again. I thinks its legal!:)

Just kidding on the time line for the tractor. I have had several things set for a long time. Your doing fine!
Regards,
 Chris
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:36am

Haha...  not hardly...  I just do short term goals, and usually overshoot those a lot Big smile.  Like I wanted to get this blasted last week, but didn't happen.  Before I roll it out to sand blast I want to get this shifter washer replaced and also I'm chasing a broken bolt rust welded threads Wink back where the 3pt upper link fitting goes.  Spent a whole day picking it, heating it, drilling on it.  Almost there.  The bolts are kinda small I think, 3/8 dia.  I was thinking about stepping them up to 7/16 dia...

Be sure to put studs back in these 2 holes for the PTO shield.  Bolt threads are not a tight fit, so oil will leak out.  That's why they originally came with studs.

Edited by DSeries4 - 28 May 2016 at 9:38am
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:58am
Thanks Dan I enjoy it.  I don't have left hand drills but that sounds like darn good idea.  I'll be trying that next time!  I did manage to get enough of the hole cleaned out that I was able to run the tap dill through and get the hole on center.  Now I'm just picking and chasing with a tap.

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:56am
When my son did the head on my 45, he used chebby intake and ferd 302 ex. Or vice versa not sure now. I know some ferd 302's used rotators and also many other manufacturers did also. If you have any questions on this send a PM and I'll get hold of my son and get some specifics for you. Leon R  Cmo
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:06am
Robert seeing you Chris and others go right through these old tractors is great.   It gives me hope that at some point I will reach a point where I am not struggling to just have the tractors I need to get my farm work done but will actually have spare time to fix them up completely.   It is really nice to see people going right through these old tractors and making them new or better again.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:49am
Robert do you have left hand drills? I have had good luck with them in the past. Well ok to be honest the mechanical technician I worked with had great luck with my left hand drill bits fixing my mistakes... it turned out he thought it was easier to drill it himself so it would be drilled straight and on center than to try to fix my off center hole.....
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:23am
Haha...  not hardly...  I just do short term goals, and usually overshoot those a lot Big smile.  Like I wanted to get this blasted last week, but didn't happen.  Before I roll it out to sand blast I want to get this shifter washer replaced and also I'm chasing a broken bolt rust welded threads Wink back where the 3pt upper link fitting goes.  Spent a whole day picking it, heating it, drilling on it.  Almost there.  The bolts are kinda small I think, 3/8 dia.  I was thinking about stepping them up to 7/16 dia...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:05am

Thanks Chris!  I've been following your D17 thread.  Enjoy it.

Robert,
Right back at you on that! Your family D15 is coming along nicely. That is a lot of work getting them ready for paint! Good prep work takes a lot of time and seems like your going backward for a while.
Keep up the good work on the '15'.
Do you have a special date as a completion goal? (no pressure here:)) Parade, tractor show, birthday???
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:51am
Thanks Chris!  I've been following your D17 thread.  Enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic