This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Structures 1964 Allis D15 Series II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 12:59pm
Robert,
 On the grill. I am preparing to put new screen in the D17 series I grill. I will try to take some pictures of the mesh install. I just picked up the screen/mesh today. i think its #16 x 1/2 inch type expanded metal. Not sure if you have the same material in the D15 grill?
Have you been able to spend some time on the tractor project?
That is going to be a nice family tractor, that will make many more memories for years to come. Great that you took on the project!
I cant wait to get my dads old WD out soon too.

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 3:30pm
Hi Chris.  My D15II has like the stamped steel in little rectangles.  I've been kicking around what to do about that.  Mine is pretty beat up.  I'm trying to reshape it to salvage it.  The grill was kicked in by cow years ago.  Or bumped a cow back end...  Something like that.  I found a replacement screen online for $75.  I might consider that route if it's too much.

Haven't done much with the tractor but start it up for people so they can hear it run.  Wink

Next step is to get it to get it outside so I can sand blast the rest and paint!  
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2016 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Looks like a lot of work but does not look bad for sitting outside for all that time.  
I have to agree with what is said above.  Remember 
IT IS YOUR FATHER'S TRACTOR
i remember I had a chance to get the first flat top WC my father sold.
Did not and have regretted it ever since.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Thanks Bill.  I am a little surprised for how long it sat how little rust there really is.  I probably could have salvaged those engine parts too (Well... they are boxed up on the shelf for spare parts).  They weren't beyond factory tolerances.  I really thing the wrist pins just seized up and had I flipped over the engine and let it soak who knows maybe could have worked it loose.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 6:37am
That's because out West, you fellers have that nice dry desert air. If that thing sat outside around these parts, you wouldn't be able to tell what it was! LOL! It'd be a bucket of rust with a little Orange mixed in it if there was any Orange left on it. That's why when I was looking for a new Streetrod project car, I'd look for a Western car like the 31' Vicky I'm building right now. 95% of the body is nice solid original Henry Ford steel. Two cowl patch panels is all it has in its Arizona body. Anything that started around here in 1931 is part of Mother Earth now...
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 7:07am

Hey Steve,,I ain't seen an update on your wife's 31 in some time,,,I was thinkin bout the induction system you got on yours when I saw a 57 TBird at the local car show the other day and it had a set of webers that reminded me of your setup,,,,
When I bought the first 55 Hardtop up in Santa Fe, NM,,,,,I never looked under it til I got it home and started the dis-assemblin and,,I almost cried,,the PO had put some pieces of tin on the 4 floor sections to keep people from falling thru is how bad the rust was,,,!! That car originally came from Wisconsin. I was so upset,,I took and parked it back in the boat shed and it rests there to this day,,,it was a perfect parts car tho, as it was all original and even had the original seat covers. The only option it did not have was the factory AC. It had ALL the stainless available and in great shape. Some years later, the Wife and I were cruising around in Carlsbad, Nm,,,and I spot a 55 HDTP behind a transmission shop, so I pull in and ask if the car is for sale. The guy says, "NO",,,,,cause it did not have an engine or transmission and he was goin to take to dump,,,!!! I kept asking what he would take for it and he finally asked me if $75 sounded OK,,,,,OK,,???,,,chit I could not get my wallet fast enough,,but all I had was $46 and he told me "you can pay me the rest when you come back for the car. I hauled azz home and borrowed a trailer and some money and went back same day,,,he thought I was crazy cause I was in such a hurry,,,,!!!!
This car also came from Arizona area and is PERFECT with no rust at all,,!!! And here is what was great,,,it originally was the same color as the Santa Fe car and had all the same options including power windows and electric seats,,,
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2016 at 8:18am
Holy chit Joe! Big time HOMERUN there buddy! Wow! I assume that's the 55' your buildin' now right? I was workin' on & off the Vicky last Fall cause the weather was still pretty mild yet. When the Batmobile showed up for a wire job, work came to a halt on the Vicky. I did manage to get the fuel tank installed in the Vic' and some of the fuel lines run in along with the new steel floor. Next is setting the steering column in and getting the front seats where they should be to be comfortable with the column. I also got the column drop brace put in behind a 32' dash. When my brother was out from Chicago this past Winter, him and I designed the dash layout and we got that done. Sooo, makin' progress.

The intake I have on the Vic' is your basic aluminum Edlebrock 4bbl. I found this outfit called Vintage Speed where they offered a 4bbl to two Stromberg Carb adapter. I always liked the look of those multiple 97's on engines, so I went with two Stromberg 97's on the 4.3L V6 using this Vintage Speed adapter. It definitely grabs peoples attention when they stop over the house to pickup their electrical stuff. They always say "what the heck kinda intake is dat"? Of coarse I gotta' lift the plastic off and show em'! LOL! I'll havta' post some pics of the Vicky for ya.
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:34am
Good Morning.  Getting the tractor ready to paint.  I drove it around to the side garage and started breaking it down.

Started with the seat.

Then the left foot step.  Lots of dirt to knock off.

Took the console out, and the right step.  The right brake was seized on the shaft but I was able to work it off.  Just a lot of dirt and debris built up around it.  The left moves pretty freely.

Then the snap coupler comes off.  The chain for the lock is broke.  Pretty easy to remove, two pins and it'll fall off.  Well plus the chain.

The springs for the snap ring were rusted through.  This spent a lot of years in the dirt.

Then the traction booster (I guess that's what it's called?).  4 bolts and disconnect the forward rod and it will drop as well.

Just the brake rods are left.

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 7:54am
Man with her all stripped like that I think I would check out that power direct clutch pack never be an easier time to change it and my experience has been that they are probably due after all these years of use. Depends if you know when it was changed or not.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 8:13am

Whew,,,Robert,,,some will wonder,,,"Will it ever get back together again,?" LOL,,,LOL,, YES,,it will,,,,As usual,Robert,,,you do very through work,,,!!!
It's gonna be a pretty one,,!!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

Man with her all stripped like that I think I would check out that power direct clutch pack never be an easier time to change it and my experience has been that they are probably due after all these years of use. Depends if you know when it was changed or not.

I have NEVER had to replace any PD clutch packs on any of my tractors (2 D14s, D15, 2 D17s, 175 and 190 XT).  Don't replace it for the sake of replacing it.  I am pretty confident that once you get everything back together and running that PD will work as good as ever.  I know the complete history of my 58 D14 - the power director and transmission are among other things that have never been touched and never had any problems.  A 59 D14 that I rescued from a barn yard 5 years ago had a totally seized engine and bad transmission, BUT the power director worked perfectly!
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:53am
You had alot better luck then me I am two for two in needing to replace them on in a serries 1 d15 and one in a series 1 D17.   Neither one of mine would move anymore.
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:17pm
The D15 series 2 that my Dad bought new has never left the farm
6500 hours
Engine never touched
A couple of clutch replacements
Never left the farm
Great tractor
Plus it was your father's .
Priceless
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2016 at 5:22pm
Robert,
This is looking real good. I went about my WD's the same way. Will be well worth the work to get things cleaned up for fresh orange!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 May 2016 at 5:22pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 6:54am
Thanks guys appreciate the comments.  I don't think I'll be getting inside the tractor unless I have to.  I drove it around a bit before parking it and it appears to be working great.  

I do have a question for the shifter handle.  Curious if the transmission shifter washer (item 13) can be replaced from the outside?  I'm not real for sure if mine needs to be replaced (I'm not for sure what it's supposed to look like), but when I take the boot off it's pretty rusty inside.  I took the snap ring off but the "washer" didn't budge.  I wasn't for sure if it was a seal or not.  The shifter was originally seized but some PB Blaster and a hammer free'd it up back when I started the project.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2016 at 7:28pm
Robert,
Good to hear from you! I think I will go for a tractor ride right after this! Perfect evening!
Hey that washer looks like the same one on WD series. You may have to get aggressive and ruin it to get it out. Then get a new one. Yes it should be replaceable from top when you get the shift lever out. Right now that washer which looks to be the same stamping as I have seen before is the only thing holding the shift lever in the trans. More blaster and try taping on it to get it to move?
Maybe the D series guys will have more answers? Get the tractor in neutral when you pull the lever. Easier to get it lined back up.
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 6:51am
Thanks Chris!  I've been following your D17 thread.  Enjoy it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by structures structures wrote:

Thanks Chris!  I've been following your D17 thread.  Enjoy it.

Robert,
Right back at you on that! Your family D15 is coming along nicely. That is a lot of work getting them ready for paint! Good prep work takes a lot of time and seems like your going backward for a while.
Keep up the good work on the '15'.
Do you have a special date as a completion goal? (no pressure here:)) Parade, tractor show, birthday???
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:23am
Haha...  not hardly...  I just do short term goals, and usually overshoot those a lot Big smile.  Like I wanted to get this blasted last week, but didn't happen.  Before I roll it out to sand blast I want to get this shifter washer replaced and also I'm chasing a broken bolt rust welded threads Wink back where the 3pt upper link fitting goes.  Spent a whole day picking it, heating it, drilling on it.  Almost there.  The bolts are kinda small I think, 3/8 dia.  I was thinking about stepping them up to 7/16 dia...

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 7:49am
Robert do you have left hand drills? I have had good luck with them in the past. Well ok to be honest the mechanical technician I worked with had great luck with my left hand drill bits fixing my mistakes... it turned out he thought it was easier to drill it himself so it would be drilled straight and on center than to try to fix my off center hole.....
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:06am
Robert seeing you Chris and others go right through these old tractors is great.   It gives me hope that at some point I will reach a point where I am not struggling to just have the tractors I need to get my farm work done but will actually have spare time to fix them up completely.   It is really nice to see people going right through these old tractors and making them new or better again.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:56am
When my son did the head on my 45, he used chebby intake and ferd 302 ex. Or vice versa not sure now. I know some ferd 302's used rotators and also many other manufacturers did also. If you have any questions on this send a PM and I'll get hold of my son and get some specifics for you. Leon R  Cmo
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 8:58am
Thanks Dan I enjoy it.  I don't have left hand drills but that sounds like darn good idea.  I'll be trying that next time!  I did manage to get enough of the hole cleaned out that I was able to run the tap dill through and get the hole on center.  Now I'm just picking and chasing with a tap.

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:36am
Originally posted by structures structures wrote:

Haha...  not hardly...  I just do short term goals, and usually overshoot those a lot Big smile.  Like I wanted to get this blasted last week, but didn't happen.  Before I roll it out to sand blast I want to get this shifter washer replaced and also I'm chasing a broken bolt rust welded threads Wink back where the 3pt upper link fitting goes.  Spent a whole day picking it, heating it, drilling on it.  Almost there.  The bolts are kinda small I think, 3/8 dia.  I was thinking about stepping them up to 7/16 dia...

Be sure to put studs back in these 2 holes for the PTO shield.  Bolt threads are not a tight fit, so oil will leak out.  That's why they originally came with studs.

Edited by DSeries4 - 28 May 2016 at 9:38am
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2016 at 9:36pm
Robert,
 Broken rusted stuck bolts are one of the big issues on these restoration projects.

( I was setting next to one of my other project, a TD6 IH dozer loader. It was my Uncle Jacks. Anyway, I was looking at all the rusted and busted hardware. Almost every bolt is a issue. Setting there with a Barqs root beer, I look down and find "JC" his initials, welded onto one of the bolsters staring at me. That's family tractors! They just keep talking to you!)

I have stepped up some not so good tapped holes to get a good secure fit again. I thinks its legal!:)

Just kidding on the time line for the tractor. I have had several things set for a long time. Your doing fine!
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 3:34pm
Update time.  

Thanks Chris for the advice.  Shifter arm comes out real easy with a few taps of the hammer.

Also got the back end blasted and primered.  That was a 3 day ordeal.  Masking the front half worked okay, but it still managed to get dusty underneath the plastic sheeting.

Day 1 was just getting it ready to roll out.  Made brackets from 1/4" steel plate to mount from the fender location.  Then used a hoist with a leveler on it so I could blast all around the axles.

Day 2 I got one half blasted.  

Day 3 got the other half blasted and primered the tractor.  Wanted to paint some orange just didn't have enough time, and painting it outside is pretty tough with the wind blowing and all the sand below.  Epoxy primer is pretty forgiving stuff but the top generally isn't.

And back in the garage.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2016 at 6:36pm
Boy Rob, the back end of that thing came out sweeet! Its amazing when they're coming apart how nasty everything looks till you get the heavy crap scrapped off and get r' blasted! Now the back will match the front. Nice n' clean and Orange!  LOL!
Steve
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 7:07am
Good Morning.  Been awhile.  Time sure can get away.  Got to spend a little time in the garage yesterday.  Laid a little more orange down.

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:47am

Lookin Good,,,Robert,,Lookin Good,,,!!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:18pm
Robert,
 This cleaned up very well, and looks great! Now I can see what my 17 would look like if I did a clean and paint. Thanks for the update! Its coming along nicely!
Regards,
 Chris

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 6:41am
Thanks Chris and Joe.

Got a few more pics this morning.  I've been working on the underside, traction booster and coupler bell housing.  I'll spare you all the black primer. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
  Share Topic