This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Counterweighted crank

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:45pm
So lets see your engine rods. Or are you lying about that? I bet you are. You are always on top of whatever anyone is talking about but you can't back up ANY of the $hit you talk. Not once. You like to talk about Barney ,but I Bet he falls into the same category as Lawrence Wilson, Gary baker, Doug Henderson , Marty and a few others. They all have accomplished something, and they all think u are a window licking retard.   

You go ahead and talk up shipman. They only thing he ever accomplished was being an overpriced scammer for what kind of junk you get. But go ahead. You show your ignorance time after time. And when you don't show ignorance you show your a$$. What makes it so funny is that you JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.
Sponsored Links

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:00pm
I beam is bettef than h beam forged has better grain structure than billet.475.00 a piece.and you to can see and hold a set of shipmans rods.

Edited by mlpankey - 22 Feb 2013 at 9:08pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 9:09pm
Why can't you build an engine and get it to last at 1/3 hp per cube?   wi is building one with 7 hp per cube. That's 21x the power levels that you still can't figure out.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Why can't you build an engine and get it to last at 1/3 hp per cube?   wi is building one with 7 hp per cube. That's 21x the power levels that you still can't figure out.

Because pank is full of bullsh!t through and through. He sits and reads formulas and theories from a book on automotive engines and then thinks knows all there is to know! Best thing everyone here can do is ignore the village idiot and stop wasting the forum on him. The only reason he trashes everyones stuff is because he wants to know how its done, hes looking for free info. Until he shows himself to be a true builder and competitor, hes not worth another keystroke.
unstylish_ View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 6:51am
And this was the guy who had a big big explanation on light pistons valve train push rods of all things, and how it was sooo crucial, and only certain stuff can meet his demanding criteria , now brags off shipmans beefy rods. "Nice job being consistent, Mitch "........ Said no one, ever! Again more inconsistent that a period on a whore.

Well now you have a rod that you may not be able to f up. Of course, you may not have it either, cause as usual, all you can do is talk. I bet you don't. Oh you might have ordered some, but as usual your mouth outruns your brain. Either way enjoy your overpriced boat anchors no matter what size they are.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:16am
little does mitch know those shipman rods are made of the same materials wi uses for his.    odd how the great pankey is bashing barney sometimes, alwayse expressing jealousy to marty and never doing anything on his own. buy all the parts, hire the work done, buy complete engines and claim it's all his from his own personal machine shop.

billet rods were fine untill marty showed some, then they were junk, then fine again.
jealous mitch should be his forum handle.

Edited by Rod B - 23 Feb 2013 at 7:33am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:23pm
If its the same material then the more material used is still stronger . Ronnies are beefier built.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:44pm
Rod, that's the best summary of jealous mitchs antics yet
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 6:10pm
Billet arent as fine as forged. Has nothing to do with who uses them it has all to do with grain structure. If you guys new what you thought you knew you mjght know enough to be dangerous. According to shipman he is the sole proprietor of the material his rods are produced from

Edited by mlpankey - 23 Feb 2013 at 6:14pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

If I new what I thought I knew I mjght know enough to be dangerous. 

Clap  LOL
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 9:04pm
Well shipman is full of $hit and so r u.   I wouldnt nelieve a thing that hair lip said. Just like you . See why i said you two make a good pair?? You might as well drop any talk about forged rods cause now u have billet ones. End of story
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 4:13am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 8:52am
Man speaking of jealousy. I tbought it was flattering you kjds follow me so close. On web sites and even using the same vendors i choose.why are you being so mad now that i have told you a vendor with a superioir rod design.
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:14am
i would like to add to the conversation involving crankshaft counterweights,as they pertain to inline 6 cyl engine(301,426)  the purpose of  c/weights is to reduce main bearing loads and main bearing loads only.As with any design there are compromises to be made, as a result the addition of c/weights increase bending stresses on the crankshaft. As the balance rate(c/w mass) increases maximun bearing load increases while average bearing load decreases,average bearing load affects bearing life while max. bearing load determines stress on the crankshaft.these crankshaft bending stresses are greatest at the extreme ends of the crankshaft,front of #1 throw and rear of #6 throw.The number of c/weights,their location and the mass of c/weights  is a compromise by the mfg. to build a crank that best suits the intended application.
    As pointed out earlier in line 6 engines counteract the first and second order forces along with rotational forces within the crankshaft.Engines without c/weights create a bending moment(couple) at the center main bearing,best described as an orbital force..For years these forces were controlled by a center main bearing significantly longer than the other main bearings,301 426 and 262.
cranky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 9:31am
i am not hogging this post just been holding back on this subject for a while.lol    
  as far as welded stroker cranks for tractor pulling breaking i believe the cause is not due to two wire welders or welding materials with inadequate strength.crankshafts are designed to flex along their entire length and body to absorb stresses from torsion,inertia and gas pressure forces.when we add stroke and reduce journal diameters to gain clearence we have reduced journal overlap.many times we have reduced or shortend the rod pin length which acts as a torsion bar to absorb torsional stresses.we now have a crank which started as a well designed part,but due to a reduction in some of the vital components these forces are concentrated and cause a failure sooner than hoped for.cranks are designed somewhat  like a fishing pole,it derives its strength from an ability to flex,when we modify any piece we have compromised the entire part.worse yet all forces are now localized to the area we modified, the rod journal radius.hope my venting doesnt make me a target, just trying to clear up some things
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 10:45am
Cranky thats a good summarization of all the posts I have entered into this thread. Thankyou
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 11:04am

Cranky thats a good summarization of all the posts I have entered into this thread. Thankyou
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 11:16am

It's a good summarization of what wi explained earlier. That the weights counteract the rod rather than trannsfering those forces through the mains for the reat of the crank to absorb.

You've got it backwards pank. Or you finally realized that everyone is right.

Cranky nailed it as to why all these high performance engines NEED weights.

Edited by Rod B - 24 Feb 2013 at 11:19am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 12:08pm
I guess i should add more injury to insult. Reread the qikepedia reread the one on if i was smart man. If you still cant put it together. Wikepedia was first and second order and the inherent ability a inline six has to deal with imbalance. The if i was a smart machinist deals with overlap. I h found when dealing with over arrogance vs lack of intellegience you just have to rub their noses in it.cranky nails why some have crank problems and some dont. Some attempt to correct with counterweights and why some correct while maintaining original engineering characteristics .while the ones who understand the origianl envineering design will be less apt to over engineer and miss the mark than those who through ten pounds of counterweight at it in swag.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Feb 2013 at 12:30pm
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 12:52pm
Build one pank, show us how its done! Your comparison of factory engineering and pulling motor needs are not honestly comparible even remotely on the same scale. How you fail to see the ever so basic concept and purpose of what a counterweight does truly baffles me for a person of your self proclaimed knowledge and expertise.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm
Counterweight creates more windage. Which is what the yankees like. Everything a counterweight does positive othe engineering techniques can do without negative effect
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 12:56pm

Counterweight creates more windage. Which is what the yankees like. Everything a counterweight does positive other engineering techniques can do without negative effect
every pulling engine i build thats a inline has no counterweights and as i posted before after leaving the 1.75 rod journal and going to the 1.88 or 2 inch any crank issue i had left. Why overlap.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Feb 2013 at 12:59pm
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 1:04pm
So pank, does Terry blackbourn, Brent long, max Simpson, and others run counterweighted cranks? I challenge you Mitch call on anyone, Terry,Brent, Phil at riverside, and tell them they are wrong and it doesn't work, make the call hot shot, and report back to us.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 2:11pm
We tend sometimes in our hurry to fix a problem we dont take the time to look to see if we are trading for another. A formula for notebooks is rotaing mass is equal to the square distance from centerline multiplied by the weight.
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 3:25pm
Why don't you take all your formulas and prove to us all how well they work?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 3:34pm
He did his best. It didn't turn out so well.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 3:52pm
Dont tell anyone in formula one that a flat plane crank cant turn rpms without vibration . You can youtube renault and toyota on the dyno twisting 20 g with a flateplane crank.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Feb 2013 at 3:53pm
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 4:10pm
Pank look again at Crankys post !! He gave pro's and con's . Which wi was explaining in modern terms not jibber ish . We're on a pulling site ! Not trying to build a tractor for grinding feed. Dude you need to quit the keyboard jockey stuff. Your statements are 180 off from others . Maybe that goes for your engines ? I'm saving money and coming to Tenn not to pull but to kick ur a$$!! Oh I forgot supposed to leave retards alone! Glad pulling season is almost here stop reading your sh!t .
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 4:19pm
Dude i build pulling engines. Its the farmers who wants them to pull and last on the farm. Yes cranky showed the conns he also shown the pros of doing it my way.

Edited by mlpankey - 24 Feb 2013 at 4:21pm
Larry W. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 4:30pm
Still waiting to see proof of your awesome engines......
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic