This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting rods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:23pm
It was in the 70s. When i read them posted that this morning.while things have changed like bearing manufacturers wanting to reduce cost by removing tabs and selling they have no purpose alot remains the same.
Sponsored Links

AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:27pm
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

It was in the 70s. When i read them posted that this morning.while things have changed like bearing manufacturers wanting to reduce cost by removing tabs and selling they have no purpose alot remains the same.

Yeah it's called modern manufacturing. Robots are taking the place of hand assembled parts/machines. With a robot and a fixture there is no need for a "locating" tab on a bearing. Thus why manufacture with a tab and spend time machining the rod for a tab??  Oh look cost savings!  Do you really think there wouldn't be a tab if it was required?

Tell me how the bronze bushing in a gear keeps from spinning when the whole assembly is rotating??  Does interference fit mean anything to you? 

Face it spunkster, you lost this battle for a second time. 

We may wear cheese on our head but at least we have something in there besides rocks and air.... 

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 4:41pm
I'd like to know how a person could read a book and glean any information from it, when he has such cognitive disabilities.
Some of the main categories of functional cognitive disabilities include deficits or difficulties with:
  1. Memory
  2. Problem-solving
  3. Attention
  4. Reading, linguistic, and verbal comprehension
  5. Math comprehension
  6. Visual comprehension

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

I'd like to know how a person could read a book and glean any information from it, when he has such cognitive disabilities.
Some of the main categories of functional cognitive disabilities include deficits or difficulties with:
  1. Memory
  2. Problem-solving
  3. Attention
  5. Math comprehension
  6. Visual comprehension

Your right on Charlie !  But you overlooked common sense, and of course  maturity, and
 lack any respected mechanical ability or knowledge. 
  Until this guy gets  "voted off the  island" and joins jeff z, we are all gonna have to bear the burden of being interupted by his  rants, lies, and misleading   misinformation.
 I would vote for his banishment.

Edited by Gary in da UP - 31 Jan 2013 at 5:09pm
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:10pm
I know you guys are mad at being wrong and are just retailiating when going on about spelling its become the way. Its like thankyou mitch but in a northern way.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 5:13pm
Andy and rod dont want me band yet they want to view the assemby of the big motor in a few weeks.
unstylish_ View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstylish_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:09pm
Is that the one you said was coming to mi? I'm sure I'll see it disassemble it self soon .
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:39pm
So you can only assemble an engine? What happened to the machine shop you had?

Few weeks implies you're waiting on real machine shops to get your parts done for you.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 6:59pm
So you want to see the machine work to learn from to rod
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 7:05pm

I'd like to know how a person could read a book and glean any information from it,

Just keep in mind
5 passes down the track and Keeer BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!! 

mufflerboltz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mufflerboltz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 7:07pm
yep, must have been the cheese in my eyes that i didnt know bearings were not round, but once again, atleast I admitted that i was wrong unlike you who never will! Oh and atleast its just cheese unlike t he stuff you're full of right up to your eyeballs
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 7:31pm
I got a stock 45 I'll pull with more success than you this year panky. I'll only have to make it down the track once.
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 7:31pm
and I agree with Gary, get rid of this clown.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 9:40pm

1. Memory
  2. Problem-solving
  3. Attention
  5. Math comprehension
  6. Visual comprehension

RED= FAIL
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 6:41am
Pank, why don't you just give it up? I've seen the inside of a couple engines and been to a race track or two, and worked with some people who were pretty successful and seemed to know what they were doing, and the common denominator among most was the fact that they were always willing to learn, and never afraid to be wrong, and for the most part didn't spend time in petty arguments. Thirty years ago I was working on some pretty cutting edge stuff, mainly titanium components for the Jet Engineering Indy car team. Google "1983 Eagle AAR Indy Car" and you get the picture. I machined most of the pieces on that car, including some of the tooling for hot forming sheet titanium. I learned a lot on that project, we were the first to use titanium to that degree on a race car. Our record was not that great, but we were highly respected because of what we brought to the table and built in the Team Owner's back yard (Bob Soltow). It was not uncommon to answer the phone to Dan Gurney, Pat Patrick, Roger Penske, Dick Lahaigh, Connie Kalitta, and countless others wanting to learn about titanium and how to work with it. We had the knowledge because Bob Soltow was a Pioneer in Titanium fabrication going back to the 1950s. He held many patents for processing titanium, but ask him what he was and he would always reply "Die Sinker".  Forging was his passion, so we made forged titanium rods, rocker arms, valve spring retainers, suspension components, axle shafts, spools, you name it. All I had to do was ask about a certain part, and Bob's reply was "let's sink some dies and make some". Forged cranks for small block chevies were not available then, so Bob invested in the dies to have some forged, thats just the way he worked, and we had failures, lots of them, but the answers and solutions didn't come from formulas or books, it came from trial and error and not being afraid to be different. The first year I went to Indy with the team I was given the task of building alignment plates to string the car before we went to the Bear rack at the Speedway. I made them square because nobody informed me that they should be round, I worked all night and got to the Speedway the next morning and took a lot of sidelong glances and heard a few of snickers in Gasoline Alley, well, after they all saw the advantages, the next year everyone had square plates, and now it's the standard, I could tell you I was smarter than everyone else, but it was just dumb luck. I'm not against the scientific approach, it has it's place, along with charts and graphs and everything else, but sometimes you need to forget the charts and books and just get to work. You spend way too much time trying to impress us with your knowledge and arguing pointless issues. Loosen up and try to get along, this is a great bunch of guys on this forum with a wealth of knowledge, lighten up and take some of it in.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:17am

So you want to see the machine work to learn from to rod

I'd love to. I'l take the time and explain what you're doing wrong and how to make it better next time. How to shape your crank throws for added strength when welding. It's apparent you have a great deal to learn. Make sure to make videos of YOU doing the machine work. I wouldn't want to see pictures of parts that you claim to have done yourself. You don't hace a verry good rap for beinng honest.
sks72107 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sks72107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:35am
Speaking of bearings tabs.  Just thinking a bit out loud here.  IF, thats a capital "IF" bearing tabs were the main force keeping the bearings from spinning, then why dont we see different bearings that have MORE tabs, I mean couldnt they atleast double the amount of tabs.  Heck a bearing would never spin if this was the case.  This would seem easily doable for the accomplished machinist.  Why not make half the edge of the bearing the tab. 

I will say in my quest for knowledge the bearing crush seems to make the most sense.  My engine rebuilding experience has only amounted to several single and v-twin 4-strokes, a couple 2-smokers, a 226 allis, and currently getting things in line for a 7.3psd.  Suddenly I may have just remembered something.  I've rebuilt 2 vintage V-twin shadows.  Both of which had spun rod bearings.  And now that i think about it, those Honda bearings may not have had tabs on them at all.  This is just a hunch and i dont recall 100% right now. If i get the ambition i may pull out an old crank/rod and see.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:38am
Glad to see Ken(MI) finally come (almost) clean. I've known him a quite while and been to his shops. You don't know how hard I laughed whenever Pank or some other engine wannabe would try to tell Ken something about metallurgy, metal forming, machining or engine work, high performance or otherwise.

Let me tell ya Pank, when I said "almost" clean it isn't because he is stretching the truth, it's because he didn't tell ya but just a small portion of what he has done or who calls on him when they need help in the speed business. When he talks, your ears ought to be wide open and your pie hole oughta be shut. We are damn lucky to have somebody with his knowledge and experience looking in here now and then. Dont mean to leave you other smart people out, certainly you are here too but Ken is the one I know personally

Edited by Butch(OH) - 01 Feb 2013 at 7:42am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 7:44am
Pank, you should be greatfull that WI has shared s little information on cylinder heads. Instead of argueing you should take his advice on filling the critical areas on the head and cutting the corner out of the intake. You'd find some real power in that. I've seen his stuff run. When he's involved on the induction side of an engine it takes others a long time to figure out how to keep up. You yourself seen some of the results.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 8:13am
Not.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 8:32am

Not.

Just a hunch but with this mentality you're wasteing your time doing anything other than forging for food and shelter.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Not.

Just a hunch but with this mentality you're wasteing your time doing anything other than forging for food and shelter.

You can lead a horse to water.... But in the end your better off to just shoot the f*ckin thing because its a waste of hay anyhow...
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Glad to see Ken(MI) finally come (almost) clean. I've known him a quite while and been to his shops. You don't know how hard I laughed whenever Pank  would try to tell Ken something about metallurgy, metal forming, . 

Does ya mean, like forging cast iron? Big smile
I have just come to the realization what " some things just never go away" means. LOL

Edited by CTuckerNWIL - 01 Feb 2013 at 10:46am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 3:40pm
Busy working on 450 inch motor today.
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 4:28pm
So. You couldn't make a 310 run. Completely made an fool of yourself with a 404 inch one. Does turning a bolt mean you're working on something?

Good thing WI showed you how to get the rods to clear. 4.7 x 6.5 is only 450.   There's room for much more. You yourself said you were up to the 500+ challenge. Look at your first postwhen you were thinking of machining.

Who did your crank. We want videos rember.
Hudsonator View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudsonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

Pank, you should be greatfull that WI has shared s little information on cylinder heads.

Where is the cylinder head info?  I'd like to see it myself.

Can't find it amongst all the gibberish that seems to obscure some of the best tech. 
There isn't much a WC can't do.

WD's just do it better.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:30pm

The only thing I am  glad Marty shows his parts for is to tell people to stay away from such light parts . Rod if you and Marty will get on your knees and beg. the king may give favor to show a billet heat treated rod that will hold the power we are capable of making down here. The only reason a engine from our shop cant pull third gear  would be that the transmission was  poping out of third gear.

no replacement for displacement even Marty and Rod have figured that out now from me after they sold poor Andy on little cubic inches.

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Feb 2013 at 5:39pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:40pm

The only thing I am  glad Marty shows his parts for is to tell people to stay away from such light parts . Rod if you and Marty will get on your knees and beg. the king may give favor to show a billet heat treated rod that will hold the power we are capable of making down here. The only reason a engine from our shop cant pull third gear  would be that the transmission was  poping out of third gear.

Durka durka durkastan robble robble robble, more lies from the spunkster. Last time I checked WI likes to post pic's as he's doing something.  Why can't you do that spunk? So top secret the guy building your engine doesn't let you see the insides? I bet thats the only way you would get an engine to run... Someone else build it and you don't touch it. 

You couldn't post a pic of one of your rods with a piece of paper next to it that says "AC Forum rocks"  If your life depended on it.  <-- that's a fact, you will most likely come up with some B.S. claim or change the subject. 

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 5:42pm
nope i dont change the subject thats rod and marty . they want to change to name calling cause their bluff gets called.  no replacement for displacement even Marty and Rod have figured that out now from me after they sold poor Andy on little cubic inches.

Edited by mlpankey - 01 Feb 2013 at 5:44pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 12>
  Share Topic