This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

thinking topfuel machining on 226

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Next time you might try rod other than 6013? 

Butch, the only other rod I have here besides 6013 is 6011. I use nothing else with my Ole Forney Buzz box. I must admit, I am not a crankshaft stroker and have never played one on a tractor forum.Clap
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sponsored Links

Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:09pm
You mean to tell me that those numbers on welding rod make a difference Butch? I was always told to use stainless steel when in doubt, because the nickel content makes it very forgiving, especially when welding cast iron forgings, double annealed and triple spherodized, with a high temperature austenizing draw. It's the only thing I would ever consider welding a crank or connecting rods with and only then when followed by a post- heat with two, one hundred watt light bulbs and wrapped in my kid's old security blankey for at least two hours per inch, or until the kid screams for the blankey. Cry
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:15pm
Charlie it might work out OK if your working on a crank like the rest of the world uses instead of a custom "cast forging"  If it works you can tell everybody you own a Gleason and go into business! Know anyone who can run a lathe and mill to knock off the high spots? If not just use an axe like the one in the pic.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:19pm
the crank in the pictures fault was The submerge wire crank welder was a one wire machine and the hard journal wire in the radius. when journal wire is  used in the radius to arm or throw however you want to say it doesnt allow the crank to flex .  The cranks I choose to use are done on a gleason two wire machine so the crank is not rigid and can flex without stress cracking. Now most cranks break in the radius and most know this so they get enthusiastic about a large radius and do not pay attention to how well the radius is tied into the arm throw.. Purosity or as wi calls it gas holes there is a weak weld and now matter how large the radius is the crank is only as strong as that weakest penetration weld. Ps the crank on top of the trash can was a ohio natpa champions crank and it has no visible purosity in it no visible stress cracking just visible age from running so many years. Its really amasing that people cant see obvious bad craftmenship welds like purosity without it being pointed out .  I would bet money wis crank wouldnt ring through from the purosity like a good forged crank should.

Edited by mlpankey - 18 Dec 2012 at 8:32pm
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:30pm
I would hope that there is some kind of heat treating done to these after welding to eliminate fusion line brittleness, in any case, hardness and grain structure should be controlled by heat treating, not by welding.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

when journal wire is  used in the radius to arm or throw however you want to say it doesnt allow the crank to flex .  

The journal is the part the rod hooks to. The Cheek is the side of the throw.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

You mean to tell me that those numbers on welding rod make a difference Butch? I was always told to use stainless steel when in doubt, because the nickel content makes it very forgiving, especially when welding cast iron forgings, double annealed and triple spherodized, with a high temperature austenizing draw. It's the only thing I would ever consider welding a crank or connecting rods with and only then when followed by a post- heat with two, one hundred watt light bulbs and wrapped in my kid's old security blankey for at least two hours per inch, or until the kid screams for the blankey. Cry

Naw rods is rods for those kinds of cranks. An old master told me the only time it makes any difference is when your going to do something with the crank besides take pictures of it Wink  

mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 8:37pm
 yeap journal is where rod goes . ken they get pressed closed to straight ground straight and polished most the time no additional heat treating some get chromed on occasion .Wi said he has to do the polishing in a above post to make it a work of art . I say you cant polish a fart.  butch wi doesnt need to worry with the purosity then he cant seam to make it to completion for starting another mock up. its easier to start more  projects than it is to complete one.

Edited by mlpankey - 18 Dec 2012 at 8:40pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:05pm
Ken, It's possible mitch missed the day they talked about stress relieving a welded part. So they use a hard surface rod on a crankshaft to build it up? Then when it comes out junk, sell it to some unsuspecting wanna be puller? Chrome comes in real handy when you grind something undersize and don't want to scrap itLOL
 I have turned welded cranks(for punch press etc) and the welding rod was always a close match to the original material. Preheat and post heat processes were always used. The only crank I ever put back in a press that failed was one we sent out to Detroit to be welded and it lasted for almost 6 years(running 3 shifts at least 5 days a week) in a 13,000 ton forge press. No pank, they are not forging presses, the are using a press to hammer out a forging and it's not made from cast ironConfused
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:15pm
I'm certain pank can see the flaws in the forgeing press. Hey there's even more if it's a union shop as it wasn't someone's job.

That pic I copied of pank's crank was taken from a thread where a few guys are giveing him static about his blown up engine. It's posted with an awesome display of cast iton welding.

He's lyin there saying it's his or here saying it isn't. Tough keepin them straight.

For your entertainment I'll try and get that pic over here later on.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Unstylish View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unstylish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:25pm
See, the problem with your premise, pank, is that you have not seen the crank in person. I saw it a while ago. It rings like a tuning fork, and without so much as a blip of porosity. Fortunately, ANYONE who has read ANYTHING you have written now understands that you would find something wrong with a billet crank, if Marty were to post one. I  talked to Wi and did some research.The individual who built the crank has done cranks for Gary Baker, Lawrence Wilson, Doug Henderson and others. All of whom are professional engine builders, friends of mine, and all of whom think you are the BUTT END OF A RETARD JOKE. Im assuming that if this guys work was good enough for them, its good enough for anyone.  Oh yeah, except you..who demands a higher quality of product ruin.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

butch wi doesnt need to worry with the purosity then he cant seam to make it to completion for starting another mock up. its easier to start more  projects than it is to complete one.

I dont know Marty personally I just know him from here so I cant say what he does minute by minute can you?
 There was a link posted earlier this summer for the club he pulls with.  Id post it if it was handy to this 'puter. I checked it last week for giggles and says he finished fourth in LSS points and it wasn't too many points away from first as I remember?  Top four very close and his first year in a super. Id call that a little more than day dreaming in the shop?  I am sure there is a lot more to it than checking the fuel and oil and signing autographs for the girls?  Ive watched those guys in that club pull when we were on vaca in WI and it about like going to a regional NTPA pull, tough bunch of pullers. 

Where do you stand in the points this year  Pank? 

Moral is; 
People who live in glass houses shouldn't  throw crankshafts, even if they were screwed up with 6013 rods. Wink
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 10:08pm
He actually finished 3rd in the lss. I know of some of his work on some of the llss tractors that have been kickin butt and one of them is only a 4 cyl.

Unstylish used Marty's help and gained 30% dyno proven power it says here. That says a lot, to take a good engine and make it better. It also says pank bought a competitive engine built by someone else and made it un-competitive by himself. I mean his team, or his shop that doesn't exist.

Pank, why you complanin about those projects in his shop. People hire engines built and parts designed. Just because you have no experience and nothing to do doesn't mean you should mock him.

Edited by Rod B - 18 Dec 2012 at 10:12pm
Unstylish View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unstylish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 10:35pm
Yeah, Rod, you wouldnt believe the difference that head and manifold made. All the way through my RPM range. Its actually starting to give my clutch fits, even with that tiny stroke, so Im having Marty machine me a double disk clutch setup. The power difference was just incredible from what I thought was an already pretty good setup...I got alot more than I paid for!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2012 at 10:38pm

Butch, the super stock has been more fun.  People are great, chicks love a guy in a firesuit (so I've been told).  I can't wait for next season with the new engine, Indy head, 3 turbos, transmission, etc.  Just wait and I'll show a few parts I've been working on sometime. There's some real great guys in that class, some have been pulling since I was a kid, they know just where to set the drawbar, tire pressure, etc. 

Here's a pic..... just so pank can get aroused.  Possiably come to an event and tell us that our quench engines are junk, or maybe that a 2.5" titanium intake valve has the wrong stem size.  I know, someone's crank might break if pushed much past 4000 hp.   Better keep them at 3000 hp right pank. 

Anyways, more treasures found on YT from pank.... suppose a guy needs a cast iron forgeing facility to balance an engine?  With a crank plasma cut,  cold hammer forged with an axe, and ground to perfection with a concrete saw,  I suppose he needed to get all the balance anywhere he could.  I guess there's proof he's got a welder anyways.

Possiably chainsaw carveing or axe throwing is more up your alley pank.  Leave the machine work to others.

Oh I forgot he blew up his chainsaw also... forgot to retard the timeing when modding.

Edited by wi50 - 18 Dec 2012 at 11:45pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:15am
WI50, the Super Stock looks like a riot, Our local hero around here is Max Simpson, it used to be a good time to watch him when he was running his D21's. Maybe Butch and I need to make a road trip to one of your pulls. I might even bring you some of my miracle welding rod. LOL
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:24am
CTucker, it sounds like you and I chew some of the same dirt, one of my largest customers is Enprotech/Danly/Verson. We do a lot of their smaller work such as hydraulic valves, lube valves, clutch brake controls, slide locks, die clamps, overload valves and nuts, and automation parts. They just finished a rebuild of a forging press in Cleveland that required 48,000 lbs of weld metal deposit, on site, pre-heat to post-heat took 16 weeks. Portable machining took another 20 weeks of 24/7, It's a brutal business, isn't it?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:30am
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

Butch, the super stock has been more fun.  People are great, chicks love a guy in a firesuit (so I've been told).  I can't wait for next season with the new engine, Indy head, 3 turbos, transmission, etc.  Just wait and I'll show a few parts I've been working on sometime. There's some real great guys in that class, some have been pulling since I was a kid, they know just where to set the drawbar, tire pressure, etc. 

Here's a pic..... just so pank can get aroused.  Possiably come to an event and tell us that our quench engines are junk, or maybe that a 2.5" titanium intake valve has the wrong stem size.  I know, someone's crank might break if pushed much past 4000 hp.   Better keep them at 3000 hp right pank. 

Anyways, more treasures found on YT from pank.... suppose a guy needs a cast iron forgeing facility to balance an engine?  With a crank plasma cut,  cold hammer forged with an axe, and ground to perfection with a concrete saw,  I suppose he needed to get all the balance anywhere he could.  I guess there's proof he's got a welder anyways.

Possiably chainsaw carveing or axe throwing is more up your alley pank.  Leave the machine work to others.

Oh I forgot he blew up his chainsaw also... forgot to retard the timeing when modding.

well we havent blown up a chainsaw. and the external grams of weight on the pulley worked just fine for exteranlly balancing  the crank like your purchased superstock engine does for you .          why dont you show the cranks i used since your so good at showing off my pictures. Then you could possibly pass off a post as having a crank with good welds.

Edited by mlpankey - 19 Dec 2012 at 6:35am
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 6:38am

chicks love a guy in a firesuit (so I've been told). 

I heard that too, but remove the helmet and watch them scatter like flies eh?  Haha

That balancer is a classic, taking bets on the excuse?

Ken, would be my pleasure to accompany a REAL engine man on a trip to meet another REAL engine man, give me a jingle when your ready.

Edit
Oops he got the excuse in quicker than I could one finger type my post, all bets off, the wheel is spinning. 

Edited by Butch(OH) - 19 Dec 2012 at 7:04am
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:04am
Naw Butch, pank has been braggin bout pullin and his shop. I've got some friends around the country so why don't I take off from here and I can pick the Michigan crew up on the way. You Illinois guys can jump in next then on to Ohio.

We'll head over to Cleveland Tn. Check out panks shop. Just let us know when you're pullin pank so we can see the real magic.

I'll stop at wally world today and buy one of them new fangled GPS units. What't the adress of your shop pank? You wouldn't want us to get lost and not be able to find it now would ya?

Oops......I asked pankey a legitimate question....... let's see if we get an adress Rod.

I'll change oil on the fun bus and fill er up with gas'n shine.

Edited by wi50 - 19 Dec 2012 at 8:09am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:23am
I dont see you publically posting your address for quote scarry people like rob to stalk out there in cyber space.  If you really want to come by to further your knowledge when you get a garmin and are in the area let me know  I wil definately supply you a addrees.  dont worry about running out of shine to share either just ask ole barn.

Edited by mlpankey - 19 Dec 2012 at 8:27am
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Butch(OH) Butch(OH) wrote:

Originally posted by Ken(MI) Ken(MI) wrote:

Naw rods is rods for those kinds of cranks. An old master told me the only time it makes any difference is when your going to do something with the crank besides take pictures of it Wink  

Rumer has it that crank is not getting trashed, its going in a  new union sponsored pedal puller.  

Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 8:58am
Bad idea Gary, that crank would break in a pedal puller.  Better get one from Wi as the stroke is longer and it'll be easier to pedal for thoes union boys.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 9:22am

now wi is doing cranks he said he was having them done in michigan rob try to keep up . looking forward to you and wi finally making the trip to my shop seminars if you had of done it a year or so in advance when offered  you would known about purosity and quality control on cranks would improve.

Edited by mlpankey - 19 Dec 2012 at 9:37am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 10:09am

The pictures of your crank and front pulley really show your axmanship.  Without a cast iron foraging facility do you feel that your welds on the front pulley will hold up?  You didn't even burn the paint off.

A 4 cyl like your tractor has a neutral internal balance.  Yet you had to externally balance it, you think anyways.  Switching to DC power and a 7018 rod will surely help the next time.

Hank the Crank welded with 7018 and he was a well respected crank man.  Pank the crank's Gleason is on the fritz again, not to worry a little mexican chrome in a can will cover it right up.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 11:48am
Be careful how you arrange that Tenn trip marty
If he give directions like he argues you'll  never see the place for driving in circles plus he will come on here and claim you never left home. Wink 
mgburchard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mgburchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:05pm

ALL right mitch you will have to get the folding chairs out if your going have class and have to go real slow for them to keep up poffecer PANKY YOU THE MAN PANKEY

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

ALL right mitch you will have to get the folding chairs out if your going have class and have to go real slow for them to keep up poffecer PANKY YOU THE MAN PANKEY

Poffecer?  WTF is a poffecer?  Seriously!!

I know several PROFESSORS but I know no poffecers.

We'd best head out quick Butch.  12-21-12 is just around the corner and I think the world has ended for Beavis and Butthead. 
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:40pm
Burchard, Plankys one fan is most likely planky with another handle! Genius! I also would think the "smartest member on here" would know how to spell and pronounce porousity! If nothing else it's entertaining! I've spoken with Marty on the phone, and have dealt with him some. He is a very knowledgeable guy. I can't wait to meet up with him at Gordyville! I wonder if planky or burchard will be there? Prolly in cognito to avoid an A$$ Whippin! lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by mgburchard mgburchard wrote:

Poffecer?  WTF is a poffecer?  Seriously!!

I know several PROFESSORS but I know no poffecers.

We'd best head out quick Butch.  12-21-12 is just around the corner and I think the world has ended for Beavis and Butthead. 

I have to be careful about such Marty cause I werent much good in those classes either but I think he meant PUFFacer? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic