This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Hand Clutch Rebuilding

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Hand Clutch Rebuilding
    Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 9:50am

Have seen many questions on repairing/rebuilding a slipping hand clutch on the CA tractor and am providing the procedure I follow when rebuilding one. The process is described in the following links. Tried to upload it as 1 part but the file was too large.

Thanks to the many fine folks who use, and contribute to, this forum.

Feel free to copy the files or earmark this post for future use.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Sponsored Links

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
Good write up! I wish we had a stickies section on this forum for things like this so it would be easy to find months later.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:34am
John
I created a new folder in my browser (Internet Explorer) Favorites menu called "Forum Posts" and when I see a post that I think I may need someday, I add the link to the post to the Favorites/Forum Posts. Works for me.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:31am
Greg,  Don't forget to grind 1/8 " off the ears.  When we first replaced CA's clutch we found they did not hold right.  We ground the 1/8" and that fixed the problem. 
In a later post it was confirmed that the 1/8" - that we hit on by guess - was the right amount to assure that the clutch worked properly.
Excellent pictures and directions above.  If you can obtain new parts balls, springs, and divit holders - for lack of a better name - it would help. 
You may not need all that but we put it in so we would not have to go back. 
Let us know how it goes.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 12:07pm
Bill
Your previous experience is pretty darn good and was very helpful to me when I had to remove and redo the 1st clutch that I rebuilt and it slipped after I installed it. Perhaps someone in your shop obtained the 1/8" by measuring the gap when a slipping rebuilt clutch was fully compressd? The 9 compression springs on the clutch pack appear to loose their power quickly when extended.
I now determine how much to remove from the ears by compressing the assembled clutch together then measuring the gap (an 1/8" gap is pretty common). I then subtract 0.025 from the gap to reach the amount I need to remove from the ears. As shown in the one that I rebuilt, I removed 0.100" from the ears to get the 0.025 gap when fully compressed. I could have removed 1/8" (0.125) from the ears and the clutch would work fine; however, I felt that by doing so the friction material would be rubbing the pressure plates a little (and heating them up) when I pulled the lever back. I also think that a little gap results in less "grabbiness" when engaging the clutch.
Each one I rebuilt thus far required a different amount to remove to obtain the 0.025 gap (due to thickness variations of the linings and the pressure plates, and the length of the 9 compresssion springs?); but I believe that removing the 1/8" from the ears would work just fine as an alternative to determining how much to remove to obtain a 0.025" gap.
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:35pm
Greg and Bill, Many thanks. I have created that folder and hope to do the hand clutch in my CA this winter. This will save a lot of searching Thanks again. Bob@allisdowneast
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 1:42pm
I rebuilt my CA hand clutch. I did not deem it necessary to remove any material. I did make sure everything was flat and true. I replaced the springs, balls and friction material. Works good two years later. Love my little ca. 
George R. (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George R. (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 2:09pm
Greg,
Thanks for posting.  That's another thing on my too do list is rebuild the hand clutch on my CA.  Not slipping bad, but enough when pulling heavy loads.  By the way how much new snow up your way?  We got enough here in central Minnesota to keep the kids happy!
My tractor is not leaking oil, it's just marking it's territory!
RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 2:39pm
I have a CA and have had lots of slippage of the hand clutch over the years.I had it rebuilt last winter at a cost of $300.00.I was told you can eliminate it by replacing the lamert style clutch with a axle from a C ????? Is this true??? Was also told you can bolt the clutch together??? For what I use the CA for I dont need a live pto...
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm

Gregg, Outstanding response about the exact grinding.  You know, I feel so proud of you all for the lengths you go to keeping Allis Chalmers alive.  THANKS!!!

Good Luck!
Bill Long
FHOliver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FHOliver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 4:23pm
Thanks for the info greg, I rebuilt mine awile ago and it slips pretty bad. I used new lining, balls and the $300 brake drum half which was destroyed from a bad brake band before i got it. Now I think Ill pull it apart and work on the ears as you suggested. I remember a center metal plate which I did not replace which could be worn somewhat thinner than normal or is that not a problem. Funny thing when I priced the balls at around 12 bucks from agco I went to ntn bearing factory close to work, Told them my predicament and the foreman took the new balls right out of the machine and handed them to me almost too hot to handle. Whish all my searches were that easy. Thanks again for the info. I printed it and put it in the ca  book,
Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 6:09pm
Thanks Greg, the files are saved for future reference.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 7:46pm
George
Shoveled 12" of snow off my trailer today (am taking a CA in for sandblasting on Monday). Happy to have a D17SIV to run my snowblower (works much better than the D14 from last winter).
RSponenberg.
Yes, you can eliminate the clutch by bolting it together, or replace the split pinion shaft. Do not know for sure if a C pinion shaft and Lambert clutch are exchangeable, but the left side CA pinion shaft will do the trick. I really don't like to see folks bolt their clutches (or eliminate them by installing a straight pinion shaft) as it is the clutch that makes the CA unique from the C/B tractors and much more versatile. I have found that a properly rebuilt hand clutch does not slip. Think about it, these clutches have been running decent for 40-50 years reliably and maybe it is time to restore them to what they were back then. Perhaps the person (honest and well meaning, I'm sure) who rebuiilt yours did not follow the same process as I do (and I learned the hard way after installing one that I rebuilt and it slipped after I installed it). Seeing as how your clutch was recently rebuilt, perhaps you only have to remove it and adjust the gap by removing metal from the ears to eliminate the slippage. Having "been there, done that", I now know that the gap on the compressed clutch is extrememly important. However, it is your tractor and if you don't need the "live power" go ahead and bolt it together or install a solid pinion shaft. Just remember that the process is not readily "reversable" and sometime there may be others (maybe a family member?) later on who do want a working hand clutch in your CA. 

RSponenberg View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSponenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:44am
Parts are getting harder and harder to find for the lambert clutch to find,and when ya do find them they are $$$$.I use my CA every day on our farm Not a show tractor by any means. Right now the clutch is fine been fine all season,but when it wont move out of its own way on level ground and lets me 5 miles away from the house I tend to get alittle mad!! Lol.. THE next time I will just change out the clutch for the solid shaft,that way I can always put it back in if I want to restore it..
Dave Skirmont View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Skirmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:53am
Hello, I'm looking for the PDF's of Rebuilding a Hand Clutch for Allis CA, when I click on link I get error. my email is daveskirmont@gmail.com
Appreciate Your help. Thanks, Dave
Dave Skirmont View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Skirmont Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 9:32am
Hello again, still unable to upload link, (get error unavailable)  can you email them? daveskirmont@gmail.com Thanks, Dave
Rltool View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rltool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 4:23am
I would like this information also.
Ray W.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
A forum member has volunteered to post my files on the Knowledge Page in this forum so as to make them more readily available to those who would want them.
Thanks
Greg R

Edited by GregLawlerMinn - 18 Aug 2016 at 11:59am
wrencher64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrencher64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 9:47pm
hello, im new here, the links don't seem to work for  the ca hand clutch rebuild. could I get those emailed to me.

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 10:06pm
wrencher64, the information you want is at this link: https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/ca-hand-clutch-rebuild_topic127511.html
This is in the Knowledge Base section.

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 18 Feb 2019 at 10:07pm
WC, CA, D14, WD45
wrencher64 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrencher64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 6:43am
Thank you very much
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic