This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers FT 20-24 forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers FT 20-24 forklift
    Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:05pm
I have an Allis Chalmers FT 20-25 fork lift that I use around my shop.  It has a 2 speed transmission, high and low.  I've always just let it stay in low but am now trying to get the shifter to work so I can select high or low.  It appears that the high/low selector on the forward-neutral-reverse lever is supposed to move the inside of the vertical tube to select high or low range.  I took the whole apparatus off the machine and attempted to free up the interior shaft but am unable to do so.  However, about half way down the shaft are two holes that go about 1/2 way into the shaft and looking into the holes it appears that the shaft is solid and the inside is not hollow.  I can get the high/low range to change by moving the entire shaft up and down and am wondering if this is the way it actually works.  I cannot find a parts manual that would depict this.  Does anyone know how this function works?  It sure looks like the inside of the shift pipe is supposed to move but I sure cannot get it to do so......
Sponsored Links

PaulRoidt(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:22pm
Yes, the high and low range moves in the same plane as the steering shaft. (Up and down)  Forward and reverse is moved around the steering wheel.  I try to get a couple photos.
ljdriver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the quick reply!  So, you are saying that the rod inside the shaft used for forward and reverse moves up and down to go from low to high range? 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:29pm

First photo is High range.
Second is Low range.
Third is the tag, best could get it is worn.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:32pm
Yes up and down.  I  Have a 40-24, but should work the same.  The forklift before was the same, but someone had locked out the range shift.

Edited by PaulRoidt(WI) - 06 May 2024 at 2:34pm
ljdriver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:37pm
That's exactly like mine looks and how I figured it would work.  My problem is I cannot free up the interior rod used to change from high to low range.  I heated it, pounded on it and put it into my hyd press but cannot get it to move.  Do you have a parts manual that happens to show the part numbers? 
ljdriver View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljdriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 2:46pm
Guess I'll take it back apart and put it in the press and see if I can get it to move.  Problem is the ball on the end where the shift lever fits as going to bend easily.  Guess I could make a new inner shaft without too much trouble.  This is becoming a challenge now!  lol
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 7:56pm
I do not have a parts book.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic