This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timing WD Magneto

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing WD Magneto
    Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:39pm
So I am getting a backfire through the carb while running the tractor at any speed.
I did the initial timing setup but I feel it it off causing running issues, it also cranks forever before starting and is very difficult to keep running. I have fully cleaned the carb twice. Adjusted valve lash to 15 thou cold and then warm. The manifold is in awful shape but I would prefer if that was last to fix as its not cheap. I have new plug wires ready to order as the magneto someone put on looks to be from a Caterpillar, yellow paint and a metal 90 degree cap cover deal.
I set initial timing with the mark on the bottom through the viewing plate. The mag is basically in the center of its adjustment. What rotation does what? I have a timing light and all, do I really have to climb under the tractor to read timing while it's running.... Feels real unsafe so I want to vet how first.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:52pm
there should be two marks.. a FIRE mark and a TDC Top Dead Center mark.... THe STATIC timing is to set the mag to CLICK the impulse when the Crank is at the TDC mark... If you are too far off, it will not start or very hard to start...  Mags have an ADVANCE built into the impulse.. Most AC units are 30 degrees.( that is the FIRE MARK once the tractor is running).... Some companies use a 20 or 25 degree advance.. If you have the WRONG MAG for the tractor, that can be a problem.. Also the motor fires 1-2-4-3 with #1 at the radiator.. Make sure you dont have a couple wires switched.

Edited by steve(ill) - 29 Apr 2024 at 1:52pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 2:07pm
If, as you say, the manifold is in terrible shape, there is a good chance you have vacuum leaks and it is sucking in fresh air which will lean out the mixture and cause those symptoms that you stated, including the hard starting.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 4:50pm
what is the TAG number on the side of the MAG ??
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:29pm
Be sure you know direction rotor turns when wiring plugs.
ForgivenCreation View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForgivenCreation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:46pm
Here are some pictures of it. Someone many moons ago broke the ear off the top of the mag.

The plug ends shown are screw in and have resistance built in somehow.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 10:06pm
The FMJ-4B3 is a very common mag for the Allis Tractors... The box on the end with the plug wires is NOT common. I have heard there were a couple variations for "extreme duty" ... but have not seen one like that.... Rotor on the FMJ is horizontal.. how they got the wires out the TOP is odd...
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 10:51pm
think I'd be looking for a different mag....
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:16am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

think I'd be looking for a different mag....

I'd find a distributor!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:26am
I think this is the Frankenstine Tractor... Something like Johnnie Cash 58 Caddy....

He has a MODIFIED FMJ mag , a 1962 FORD 3 post Generator and a 1977 F250 voltage regulator... All he needs now is the seat off a John Deere 2 banger..  Wink
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:35am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I think this is the Frankenstine Tractor... Something like Johnnie Cash 58 Caddy....

He has a MODIFIED FMJ mag , a 1962 FORD 3 post Generator and a 1977 F250 voltage regulator... All he needs now is the seat off a John Deere 2 banger..  Wink
Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic