This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Series 2 Leaking hydraulic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mherndon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Series 2 Leaking hydraulic
    Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:22pm
I've got a 1963 AC D15 series 2 that is leaking hydraulic fluid from the top of the torque tube where the traction booster control rod goes to the pump.  There should be an o-ring there, but it should not be under pressure.  The pump is plumbed to the back of the tractor on the outside.  How can fuid be force out that entry?  I've checked my fluid levels in the transmission and differential and they are fine.  The hydraulic fluid is low.  Could there be a blown line near the pump spraying at that entry when I try to lift and it makes it past the o-ring?  Only leaks when trying to lift.  Not sure if it would leak trying to hold something up.  Any thoughts?  Hoping for a simple fix.

Mark Herndon
D-15, Old dealer in Smithville, TN
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 10:05pm
The Traction Booster control shaft has an oil seal on the shaft, not an Oring. I've had to replace a few over the years.
mherndon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mherndon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 6:07am
How much trouble for this oil seal? Do you have a part number or know where I can get one?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 6:34am
I'm not there looking at it. But, if you say it is leaking around the Traction Booster lever linkage that comes thru the top of the torque housing, yes, there is a shaft seal/oil seal on that control shaft. The knuckle has to be removed from the top of the shaft and technically the shaft would be moved downwards to access the seal. That means removal of the hydraulic pump to do that. I know an old boss of mine would sometimes dig around the shaft with a screwdriver and get that old seal out and with a deep socket drive in a new seal. An AGCO dealership should be able to get you the seal. I know they had them 3 yrs ago.

Edited by DrAllis - 29 Apr 2024 at 6:35am
mherndon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mherndon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:43am
Thanks DrAllis. I hope I can do it from the top.

Mark
mherndon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mherndon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:17am
DrAllis, will the lift rod have the same seal for it? Might as well replace them both if they are the same.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:20am
They are the same seal, yes. Make sure the Lift/Lower shaft is tight, as it has brass bushings that sometimes need to be replaced for wear. Loose/wobbly shaft doesn't work well even with a new oil seal.
mherndon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mherndon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 9:22am
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic