This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC 5040 tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC 5040 tractor
    Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 10:26pm
What would need to be done to try starting a 5040 that been sitting for many years? --- loaded question I know but I got stuck with one. Not even sure the motor is not stuck or injection pump might be junk, --- also motor might be junk and worn out but need to try starting it anyway and need ideas.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sponsored Links

I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:25pm
It might help to know if it was "sitting" covered or uncovered, what type climate was involved, the overall appearance of the engine externals, fuel lines, filters, etc. A quick check of fuel tank, engine oil/coolant levels, that sort of thing. Also might help to know something about your experience level with this type of motor and fuel system. 

This type of question usually gets a number of "do this," "do that," change this,  change that, tear this apart, and all that. Personally, I would make my decisions on what to do based on what I find, not on what someone else THINKS I should do. 
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:12am
I think the 5040 was the Romanian manufactured one ( the 5050 was the fiat manufactured one) . Good luck
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:10am
I dont know where it was sitting,--assuming outside, new muffler on it with turnout pipe on top, no can on it. fuel tank smells kinda old,  a bit of motor dripping from the crankcase vent, lines and filters all intact as far as I can see.
I completely rebuild motors. currently putting an IH 560 back together so not afraid to tackle this thing. I tottaly hate diesel motors but that is what it has so I gotta deal with it as best as I can. 
IF it will run I can sure use it on a small mower and save taking the tiller off the 504 all the time.
3 pix of it after they unloaded it here. I bought it sight unseen

Edited by ac fleet - 17 Apr 2024 at 9:17am
I M Fedup View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I M Fedup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 9:35am
Well if you already own it, then whatever you spend on parts experimenting is not a waste of money. 

Your choice as to where to start, but if it were me I would begin by trying to turn the engine by hand to see if it's free. Check all fluid levels to see what's low, what's over full, and go from there.

I started two john Deere tractors last summer after having been parked for eight years. After a good "once over" on fluids, belts, hoses, etc, new batteries in each and new fuel filters. Same fuel and engine oil they had in them. I bled the filters and both started right up. They had both been under cover.

In your case, I would make sure the engine will make a few full rotations without a problem and go for it. Maybe remove the fuel filters, work the hand primer a bit and observe the condition of the fuel you see moving, looking for any sign of water or anything nasty. With that tractor it's easy enough to remove the inlet host from the primer pump and start out on a jug of known good fuel with a short length of hose. New filters, bleed them out, and give it a try. If you have a good battery to put into it for trial purposes, fine. If not, I would try pull starting it. 
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 8:55am
cant turn it by hand since its a diesel motor. Sadly cant reach anything under there.
I have to work by myself but probably could put it in gear and give it a yank and see if it tries to turn or not. I know it aint gonna start in a 2 foot yank! lol! IF it did I got an even bigger problem! lol! ---- Seriously tho, --- it wouldnt start that easy after sitting that long, besides the shutoff is in the kill position so that should work. 
Might get a chance to try it later.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 7:50am
motor is locked up for sure! time to move on!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic