This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190xt getting warm after a rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&Sfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190xt getting warm after a rebuild
    Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:04pm
Recently had the engine in my early 190xt overhauled. Put the engine back in and it runs good, but after it warms up the water temp gauge gets into the red. I get nervous and shut it down. This has happened running a small manure spreader and a 2300 disc with the wings up and not going very deep. It stays in the red even with the tractor stopped. I have topped it off with coolant and that helps until it boils it back out (less than a quart). It has a brand new thermostat from Agco. Before the overhaul, it did not have a thermostat so I am wondering if this was an issue before. I plan on removing the gauge sensor and putting a thermocouple in there so I can see how hot it is actually getting. How hot is too hot? I have heard engines will run a little warmer until it is broke in.
Sponsored Links

Joe(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:14pm
Pull the radiator and take it to Piqua Radiator.  He does good work and is reasonably priced. 
Life is simpler when you plow around the stump.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 12:41pm
Engines run hotter until broke in is B.S. You need a new temp gauge and sender and a tight fan belt and see what you have then. If the air temp was 100 degrees on a spring day, the engine should not be hitting the red zone.
A&Sfarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&Sfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 1:21pm
I wondered. I thought maybe a few degrees, but putting it in the red zone seemed concerning. I did check the fan belt to make sure it was tight. The thought did cross my mind about the orientation of the fan. Could I have installed it backwards and be pushing air instead of pulling?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 1:29pm
Could be backwards but it will still move air the right way, just a lot less of it. GET A GOOD TEMP GAUGE AND SENDER.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 1:37pm
Verify your actual temperature with a heat gun. If the radiator is only a quart down from the neck that would be normal as you don't have coolant recovery. Is the radiator steaming as in actual overheating. You may have an electrical issue with your gauge. If they installed the sending unit with tape or have paint in the threads or some other location messing with your electrical contacts.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 3:29pm
I know it’s a fresh rebuild but could the head gasket be leaking ?
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 4:38pm
Like several have already said.

Verify actual temperature.

These infared thermometers are less than $20 on amazon.
And once you get it you won't know how you lived without one.

The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 5:55pm
Filling the radiator FULL is a bad idea, as once the engine warms up it will expand and vomit out a quart or two every time. You refill it and it will do the same thing over and over again. This does not mean it is overheating !!!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2024 at 11:29pm
Infrared gun first to see what is real. Id' bet against your sender and or gauge plus wiring. 
A&Sfarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&Sfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 1:04pm
Thanks for all the input. I will get an actual temperature reading and go from there. Hopefully I can get this figured out so I can plant with this thing soon.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 10:21pm
My XT runs 170 degrees, I’ve never seen it above 180 even on a 100 degree day baling hay. Not a rebuilt engine but saying what it should be running at. I did replace all gauges with AGCO gauges, sending units after I bought the tractor 8 years ago and gave it a make over. I totally agree with the advice from above, wiring issues on these old tractors can be a problem especially if they set outside. A new gauge and sending unit would also be the 1st thing I would replace as DOC suggested. Test the wiring for a short or open before connecting the gauge and sending unit. Of course a good radiator flush and cleaning is always a good idea.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
A&Sfarms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A&Sfarms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 5:46am
I removed the sending unit and installed a thermocouple and Fluke meter i borrowed from work to get actual readings. Once everything dried up enough to run it again, the temps peaked at 188F and then held a steady 183F. I was pretty sure the thermostat is a 190F thermostat and the numbers would confirm that. It would seem the sender/gauge is the problem. It's a pretty big relief that it wasn't something more. Now it's time to get it hooked to the planter.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic