This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Allis B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jim2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 1:17pm
Thanks for the welcome.

No, actually bought it back in August in it's original configuration.  Here's an early picture.

Replaced bearings and seals in rear final drive after welding up rust-through in the pan.  Replaced spacer in the transmission and refreshed seals in the transmission and left final as well.  Lowered it in the process of those fixes and then started fabbing the front axle, gas tank support, platform, hitch, fender supports, seat supports, etc.  Have removed the PTO, original hydraulics and belt pulley drive to have my own custom hydraulics.

Just installed the hydraulic pump today on that boss in my rear block-out plate.  Have a little more painting to do, but will have to wait for the coat that is on there now to dry.  It's pretty cold here in Wisconsin this week, so will be working on other things while I wait for that.

Jim

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 12:42pm
Thats a good looking little tractor.. You have had it a week so i assume MOST of the MODS were there when you bought it ?

The steering wheel / shaft is not the original setup. The tube is several inches shorter and has been mounted to a plate and angled more vertical... which makes it a better setup when you move the seat forward, and rotate the rear axles forward.... I assume you know the rear axles were originally mounted  vertical with the oil pan on the bottom.. you can rotate them forward 90 degrees and that lowers the tractor 7 inches.. That was done on the IB tractors.

Rear hubs are deep dish. Almost look like a "C" rear hubs, with the 5 bolt pattern... Most of the "B" were splined to the shaft.. some had the 5 bolt, but not that deep of dish... maybe even the entire rear end is from a C ?..... not close enough to see from here.   Wishbone front end would have made it set kind of HIGH on the front ??

Good looking so far !

Edited by steve(ill) - 17 Mar 2024 at 12:44pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 12:03pm
Love it! Low rider B model. I think the Model B is one model Tractor that has gone through more changes whether custom or revised than any other AC Tractor. I'm a hotrodder by heart so I always do something with my Tractors a little different than stock. I've been collectiing parts for my other B for a few years to build a low rider. Pretty cool Tractor. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the Orange family!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Jim2 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2024 at 10:47am
Hello from Wisconsin!

Bought a 1940 Allis B on auction last August and have been working on it pretty much ever since.  Was a bow-axle B in the original configuration when I got it.  Needed something a little more stable for my acreage, needs, and available storage facilities.  Was drawn to the Allis by its classic good looks, simplicity, and useful gearing for my needs.

This is more or less what it looks like now:

Have done a little more painting on it since this photo was taken, and have been working on getting it to run a little better.  Took it out to the woods to document finally getting it running.  Had to have the carburetor off another 2 times after to finally get it to run without choke.  Also adjusted the timing a little at the distributor, but still not running quite right.  

Have it stripped down to paint the back half right now.  Will have a go at leak at the front crank seal before too long here.

This is just a quick post to say hi.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic