This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wish all tractors would start as good as D-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLHD21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wish all tractors would start as good as D-17
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
It can be 20 below out and the D-17 (gas) will fire up. I got a 200 that needs either to start at 70!
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 12:09pm
If you’re unhappy with how the D21 starts, I’ll take it off your hands
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:12pm

I refurbished the old family Ferguson TO35 last year but warned it to be reliable or I'd switch it from factory 6v positive to 12v negative ground. It was always an anemic starting tractor back on the farm, needing a 98% battery charge or better to get going. I'd replace everything except the generator. So it decided to not start when I needed it (good reason to have a backup tractor) and I switched it to 12v negative with a new alternator and coil swap. Now it starts up with barely touching the button.

So I'm telling that newly acquired AC WD with 6v system that it better behave too, lol. But I've got other work to do on it this spring when things warm up. Three point addition, brakes (already pb blaster-ing the lower pins), exhaust, and small things.

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:25pm
Post said 200 needed either - not D21 

Edited by DougG - 26 Jan 2022 at 1:26pm
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:31pm
He was joking about the D21 because he wants it lol. As far as the WD on 6V, as long as you have good connections, good heavy cables, good generator and battery that 6V system will spin her over fine. I replaced my cables with 1/0 wielding cable and what a huge difference it made.

Edited by AC720Man - 26 Jan 2022 at 4:32pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:35pm
As far as your 200, sounds like your pump needs a rebuild if it starts that hard at 70 degrees or you have low compression.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
tractorboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 1:42am
My 17 fires up same way ! Were not as cold "been in the teens" but turns over bout 2-3 times & fires every time ! Makes me feel good since rebuilt it from bare block, had lots of good advice from this site !!   keith so. va.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 7:24am
As a kid, at minus 20F below zero with a WD45 gasser, the throttle had to be just right, pull the choke out fully, push in on the foot clutch all the way, have a moment of silence, pull hard on the 6Volt starter ring, and it would always start. You didn't want to let it stall, because there wouldn't have been enough battery left for a second go-round. Pre-winter prep always included new plugs and points and 10W motor oil. Tractor had to start EVERY day as we milked cows.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:13am
Seems to boil down to a properly maintained fuel,ignition, and electrical system is key to reliability in extreme weather. Reminds me of when my 68 Cyclone was sole means of transportation. Even Dad had to borrow it couple times when it got to -20
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Post said 200 needed either - not D21 

There is a D21 with it's nose just showing in the picture.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 8:17pm
If I had to bet lunch on a tractor starting in the single digits I’d pick the 160 over the D17 anyday. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 8:50pm
The WC-WD-45-D17 engine has many aspects that lend to good cold-starting... and there's no coincedence- engines whose designs predate electric starting were carefully built to start easily.

My D17 will start in just about any circumstance... turn on the gas, set the choke, push in the clutch, if it'll cross TDC, and has fuel in the carb, it's on.  It takes a little bit for the oil to warm up enough to not beg for a little choke, and I keep the foot clutch pushed down 'till that time, as the transmission load is a bit high when it's -15F, but after the engine has warmed up enough, I ease it out and let the trans spin in neutral to warm up the driveline.  If it's really cold, I'll engage the PTO too, to help get the gearboxes warmed.

They're great machines... when nothing else starts, my D17 starts.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 9:38pm
Dad's D17 and his gas 190XT were guaranteed to start in our cold Minnesota winters though we usually didn't wake the XT from its winter slumber. My D17, on the other hand, is cold blooded..... or was until I switched from a Zenith carb to a Marvel, really never tested my D17 since switching though. Dad's D17 also has a Marvel. Actually Dad's two WDs and I belive he said his WD45 all started easily. I had a John Deere A and it was a miserable starting beast warm or cold.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Dennis(IA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:18am
I helped a friend last summer, I installed a new battery in his Ford compact utility ( don’t remember the number).  Anyway I went to start it and it would not start (diesel).   He said turn the key backwards to turn on the glow plugs, I said it is 80 degrees out.  It doesn’t matter, you need the glow plugs. It started then.
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 8:43am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

... have a moment of silence ... because there wouldn't have been enough battery left for a second go-round...

That moment is what we did too.

"Oh, will you make me drag the battery charger and extension cables out here?"
"... Not today."

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic