This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear tire recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:06am
So I have seen a couple of recommendations to switch to 16.9 x 28 tires when I replace my old ones. I get they will be about 2" wider and 3" taller than the 14.9 x 28 tires I have now, but what is the advantage? They should have more weight if fluid filled to the same level and the top speed should be a little higher but what else? I would think pulling power would be slightly less due to the taller tire, but is that more than compensated by the additional width?
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 7:23am
Faster road gear. More traction due to larger footprint on the ground. Capable of holding more fluid. A 16.9 x 28 has a little more footprint than a 13.6 x 38 tire, which is what many competitive 50 HP tractors have. There isn't really anything negative except cost. They look waaay cooler than a 14.9 !!
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 11:28am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Some have no concept of how many cast iron weights it takes to replace 1,000 lbs of calcium chloride fluid.

E X A C T L Y ! !   Having enough weights hanging off the wheels to equate to the same weight in CaCl2
would widen the tractor as to make it impractical for normal farm work.

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 12:29pm
Back To my original question... Does this tractor have a loader or does it do heavy tillage work? For most anything else the NEED for all that extra weigh doesn't exist. If anyone wants to put a corrosive liquid in their tires, then watch is run down the ditch when they get a flat, have at it.
   I personally do all my own tire work and only put air in them. I have weights stacked in a pile for the very few times that it is needed, which is very seldom.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 12:35pm
Yes to the loader, but no tillage work for now. I have been requesting quotes from a couple of the local tire stores to get an idea of cost for rims, tires, and fluid. Probably not going to like the numbers I get, but that's part of it.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 1:38pm
The beauty of iron weights is the ease of removal.

The good Dr. makes some compelling arguments for liquid ballast. Personally, I'll stick with iron, though I do have one tractor that gets to bouncing going down the highway. Fluid might fix that but it's already heavy enough, I just back off the throttle a little.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:32pm
Loaders tractors DO NEED lots of weight on the rear. However that doesn't always mean fluid filled tires.
   I have an I-40 that I've taken a HD snap-coupler semi plow hitch apart and have 1500 pounds of cast iron on the big round bar that would have connected to the plow. Then in each rim I have 2 weights inside of the dish and 3 outside of the dish. Without the 1500 pounds on the hitch it will handle most things I move around, with only air in the tires. When I hook to the bar with all the weight it will safely handle anything that the loader will lift.
   A barrel full of concrete makes a great counterweight for a loader and they are available nearly anywhere. 

For those complaining about bouncing at road speeds Check the tires for being out of round or wheels not being tightened equally.  I once brought a tractor that had 38" PAW wheels and when I first drove it home it was nearly dangerous at full speed on the road.  After loosening all the adjusters and getting everything concentric it was smooth as a truck. Sometime a simple solution gets overlooked in favor of a highly involved ban-aid to fix a problem that isn't really there. 
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:33pm
So have any on here ran the spoke rubber tires I see on some Amish equipment and now see more on lawn mowers? I question if that would provide traction comparable to fluid filled tires?. Guess they don’t get flat spots like the foam filled. Just didn’t see it mentioned in these post.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 9:17pm
My XT had CC when I bought it. Slight damage to one rim at the valve stem so I had it repaired. Installed new tube. Recovered the CC in a tank, and choose to put it back in both sides after new valve was installed on the other side. Other rim and tube was in excellent shape. Painted both rims inside and out. As others have said it provides good weight and a good ride. The cc ballast works well for me on hay ground with Our NH 273 and a full load of hay on a slight slope. I have wheel weights to add for the 20’ AC disc and 4 bottom semi mount plow. We still plow when it’s time to replace worn out orchard grass fields. I know that’s not popular with the no-till crowd but we have fairly level ground. It’s worked for years and I really enjoy running a plow as our father did. As hobby farmers, we go with what we have, old school, but effective.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 11:41am
WOW! I just got a shock! The quote came back for new tires, tubes, rims, fluid, and labor. Try $2,755 for the 14.9-28 tires and an additional $250 to step up to the 16.9-28 size. I honestly was not expecting that much.
So now I am wondering how hard it is to mount these big tires. I have a couple of tire spoons and have done motorcycle and car tires. Are tractor tires all that much harder?   
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 11:57am
tractor tires are easier to mount than car tires. just a lot heavier. when I've bought tires here mounting was included. they even pumped the CaCl back in. using a loader you definetly want loaded tires. 
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 2:48pm
Wow is right. I was $1500 for new tires, rims and tubes. But that was 10 years ago up here in Canada. Firestone 14.9 by 28 for WD45. I mounted them myself. Real easy job. 1 beer per tire. Lol. For your D17 get the 16.9 as others have said. Hard to believe that they have almost doubled in price. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 3:45pm
If it were mine, I would go with the 16.9 tires, mount them myself, with nothing but air, then go find a 1500 pound concrete counter weight and put as many wheel weights as would fit inside of the edge of the tire with whatever wheel tread with you are running. With a loader the wider tread the better. 

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Morpar55 Morpar55 wrote:

WOW! I just got a shock! The quote came back for new tires, tubes, rims, fluid, and labor. Try $2,755 for the 14.9-28 tires and an additional $250 to step up to the 16.9-28 size. I honestly was not expecting that much.
So now I am wondering how hard it is to mount these big tires. I have a couple of tire spoons and have done motorcycle and car tires. Are tractor tires all that much harder?   

Its usually easier on the back, to mount the rear tires vertically, than horizontally.  Leave the rim bolted to the tractor, break the bead, pull the tube (after draining the fluid out), then swap out the tire...

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:37pm
Fluid in the tires add zero weight to the rear axle bearings. A 1500 lb weight hanging on the lift arms adds 1500 lbs of weight onto the rear axle bearings.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Fluid in the tires add zero weight to the rear axle bearings. A 1500 lb weight hanging on the lift arms adds 1500 lbs of weight onto the rear axle bearings.

I would say a lot more than 1,500 lbs.  The axle is a fulcrum point and although I never claimed to know much about physics, I think a significant amount of the weight ahead of the axle will be exerted on to the axle bearings as well.

This is why when adding weight to a 2WD pickup, locating it close to the tailgate is much more effective than placing it directly over the axle.

That is also why when using my WD (which currently has no Calcium in the tires) for heavy loader use, I keep my factory back blade on and sometimes add as many as 4 suitcase weights to it.

Edited by Brian G. NY - 03 Dec 2021 at 8:06pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Ed (Ont) Ed (Ont) wrote:

Wow is right. I was $1500 for new tires, rims and tubes. But that was 10 years ago up here in Canada. Firestone 14.9 by 28 for WD45. I mounted them myself. Real easy job. 1 beer per tire. Lol. For your D17 get the 16.9 as others have said. Hard to believe that they have almost doubled in price. 

One beer per tire?! Man, I don't work that hard! Or maybe I drink faster?

I don't mind mounting/dismounting tractor tires. never done any bigger than 18.4X38's. Have a pair of 30.5X32's, think they would be pretty heavy.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 7:38am
As most anything was at one time available with a backhoe ( which I'm sure even the smallest one will weight over 1500 pounds) I don't see a counterbalance weight on the rear hitch as a reason to be concerned about bearing failure. Also a counterbalance weight will decrease the stress on the front rims that is associated with loader use.  Axle bearing failures can generally always be attributed to lack of proper maintenance. 
  Flats are inevitable, why complicate things with a corrosive liquid in side of tire that just runs down the ditch when you have one, then the after affects needs to be thoroughly cleaned up, or more trouble later. Flats always happen when there isn't time to have the rim thoroughly cleaned and repainted. Tire work is easy with just air to deal with. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 12:06pm
Just so you can compare. If I still owned my tire shop and my back was still good, 14.9x 28 bias ply tires would cost you $435.92 each. That price is installed on the rim/tractor. Tubes would be $43.10 each. Pumping fluid out and in would be $20.00 each tire.   Unfortunately the wholesale warehouse I used to use no longer stocks rims.   Can't give you a price on them.
16.9R x28 or 420R85x 28 are $814.01 each installed on the tractor. Tubes are $50.47 each. Again pumping fluid would be $20.00 out and in. These are not a name brand tire, but they are ones I would put on my own tractor. To mount tires. First it is far easier to do with the rim mounted on the tractor. You will need a pair of full size vicegrips, a tube pulling chain, 2 36" tire irons work great. And a gallon of good bead lube, NOT dish soap. It AIN'T slick enough. Bowes big blue is the best, but NAPA Ruglide is OK. You want to make sure the valve stem is aligned perfectly with the hole in the rim. That's why you need the tube pulling chain. Some guys pull the stem through the hole, the put the plastic nut on the stem and them finish mounting the outside bead on the rim. I would not recommend that for someone who is first time mounting tires. I've seen too many valve stems ripped off tubes. Also remember there is a front side and a back side to farm tubes. The Valve stem on a tractor tire is not centered on the tube like an end loader tube. You have got to make sure you don't have the tube in backwards. I've seen stems ripped off tubes when this happens. Please use the plastic stem nut that comes with the tube. If you put fluid back in your tires and the valve core seaps over the years, a metal stem nut will weld itself to the stem making it almost impossible to repair the tire. I have actually twisted off valve stems under this condition. Bolt your new rims on the tractor, valve stem hole down, lube up the inner bead, set the inner bead over the top of the rim, clamp your vice grips on one side of your rim so the tire won't slip around while you are attempting to get the inside bead on. Put the tube in the tire, valve stem down, remove valve core, put the stem nut over the chain, put the chain through the rim hole, attach the chain to the stem, push the tube back away from the tire bead and then push the outer bead on the rim as far as you can, you may need to clamp the vicegrips on the rim to hold it in place. Then, making double sure the tube is not close to the bead, install the outer bead on the rim. Pull your stem through the hole, screw the nut on the tube. Put more tire lube on the rim and then start inflating. When the beads just start to contact the rim, stop and let all the air out of the tube. This will allow the tube to straighten itself out inside the tire. Then start airing up the tire. If you have new rims or highly corroded old rims with new tires, you may need quite a bit of air pressure to get the tires to pop out on the rims. Good luck, too bad you aren't close I'd be glad to help.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 05 Dec 2021 at 12:12pm
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:51pm
I have used Windshield Washer fluid, bought on sale. Works for me, non toxic.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 1:53pm
I have used Windshield washer fluid
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 3:38pm
can't resist;   used calcium in tires for years, several rims have been welded on BUT many other parts of the tractors have been as well! Yes calcium is corrosive but so is well water in radiators, and plain rain when the tractors sit outside for years. Don't forget battery boxes.   And many northern states salt roads from late Oct. to April. I love rusted brake lines! Boils down to how YOU are using the tractor. Tillage, brush hogging pond dams, lots of loader work, heavy fluid is best. Hay tractor on flat ground, no worries. P.S. checked on solid fill in skid steer tires, was cheaper to just keep buying new tires.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:40pm
I agree that it takes a lot of metal weights to equal C.C. in tires. A few years ago, I put near new (90%+ ) Firestone F & R 16.9x28" on my D17 II. The old tires were about 3/4 full of C.C., didn't refill the newer set. I put 4 of F&H 2628 weights on each side, not sure what they weigh, but was a lot of work at my 60+ years took 2 days to do tires n weights. IF plowing more than ditches and along field edges it still needs more weight to be equal to how it used to pull 3x16" S.C. Also added 2 suitcase weights from 100 series 20+ years ago, heavier front & protects the grill from a bad drivers errors. 

AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Michael (WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael (WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 3:44pm
With our hills I have 16.9x28" tires (it was ordered with that size) with fluid in tubes (it has had fluid since it was new in 1963) AND rear sectional weights and it still can spin on the hills.  As I said it has had fluid since new and the rims are still original to my knowledge.  Every time I fill the rear tires I turn/drive the valve stem to the top and if any fluid comes out I rinse it off with waster.  I keep extra valve stem inserts for tubes on hand and replace them if needed.  The old rule of thumb I use to fill bias rear tires is to top of off with air until they are two pounds less than the width.  So fill a 16.9 tire to around 14 p.s.i.  That is what I know.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 9:00am
Another huge advantage to liquid ballast is that it creates zero shock to the drivetrain, unlike cast iron weights that drastically increase shock load and increase rolling inertia,  both of which isn't healthy for the drive train or the brakes. Personally, I'll stick to beet juice, pricey, but I learned my lesson once when a 16.9-28 tire got accidentally punctured inside the barn and it sprayed everything in sight before we were able to get it under control, massive job to clean everything up that got a bath. As to the weight/no weight argument, I've often wished for more, but can't say I've ever wished a tractor was lighter. My opinion of wheel weights is that they are nothing but man killers and back breakers.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic