This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers WD45 Diesel project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:48am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

what are fire rings for???????????????????               MACK

....that's why I asked about them earlier....claimed not needed....really? Does everyone not know that sleeves move constantly even in a good engine?

My cousin has been in these Allis for over 50 years and has built 2 pullers out of these 262D and a WD45D. He used copper head gaskets without the fire rings. He also built this one too. He put new pistons and rings, sleeves, and had the head rebuilt. And than today I’m going to have the head gasket Annealed.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:02am
 Sounds like you have a plan! 
I think a WD45D puller would be a really neat toy. I have problems with my WD45 getting enough traction in the 4000 lb class. Dad always said they have plenty of power, if we could get it to the ground!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:27pm
It is your tractor so ultimately you can decide which route to go. That being said, it appears the consensus is we, (the forum) recommend you use a head gasket with fire rings. If you "overrule" our recommendations, it is hard for us (the forum) to help you with the problem. I hope you can understand this.

The information from members on this forum comes from the conglomeration 10,000s of hours of hands-on experience with repairing these old tractors. This is my first WD45d engine rebuild also and I will be going with a head gasket with fire rings, possibly going with MACK's special ones, and possibly with ARP studs once I find out more about them.
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:02pm
If you go with ARP bolts I got the part number and sizes of all of them.
I had to cut some of mine so the rocker wouldn’t hit them.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 6:35pm
Got it back together today and tried to start it. Not good results. It was just about to start and antifreeze blew out of the radiator again. the sleeves are at factory standards and no cracks in the sleeves. Got a copper head gasket with copper gasket sealant. So not sure what to do next....
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 7:01pm
Talk to your cousin, who has 50 yrs experience. On Jan 23rd, you said you've already "killled" two regular head gaskets.  How much run time were on them??  100 hrs ??  or just as bad as the copper gasket.....leaks upon startup ??  Have you raised the compression on this "pulling" engine ??  That's probably a bad idea.  On Jan 23rd, I told you it wouldn't work and that it would leak coolant, just a matter of when.  The OEM fire rings are thicker than the OEM head gasket. They are made to crush down to the thickness of the composition gasket while putting a very tight seal against the sleeve flanges, as long as the sleeve stand-out remains where it should be, .002" to .005" ABOVE the block.  They eventually settle down to flush and below flush and that is the inherent flaw of that engine.You are obviously getting compression squeaking thru the tops of the sleeves. I have to assume it's because your copper gasket isn't squeezing tight enough at the sleeve flanges and never will be able to the way your going about it. Your cousin has done this without issues ?? Then, he's the man to call I think.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:25pm
The very first gasket (I think) had around 100 hours on it, the second had less than 50 hours on it, and this last on has less than 15 minutes on it. And yes it has d17d pistons in it with a bit thinner head gasket of .063 of an inch.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:33pm
So, you'd have to admit that you have "failed" the copper gasket repair twice in less than 1 hr run time ??  When you used the OEM gasket, did you run it for an hr or two at high idle, let the engine sit overnite and then retorque the head bolts COLD ?? Was the OEM gasket painted with copper coat ??
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
I let it sit for about 3 hours until it was completely cooled down and no on the copper gasket sealer.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:40pm
3 hrs ain't the same as overnite and copper coat (a couple layers) is better than dry. I don't know what else is going on here. They are known for doing this, but not at the rate you are failing them. Copper isn't the solution.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 8:52pm
I ran that engine in a pulling tractor for 40 years on gas then alc. 40 to 60 lbs boost with no head gasket problems. Fire rings are the answer as I tried to explain in a earlier post on here. The last 262 I built ran with no water for coolent and no head gasket, only fire rings.              MACK
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:00pm
Would it be better if I put fire rings on this copper gasket?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:15pm
I'm also concerned about your head bolt studs. If they are fine threaded nut and you are torqueing them down to 100 ft lbs, maybe you have distorted the top of the blocks deck surface.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2021 at 9:27pm
Yes they are fine on top and course on bottom. I did some research and the factory 45d was that way and they was put at 100ftlb. I haven’t went past 105ftlb.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:47am
I would bore copper gasket to just out side sleeve, then let fire ring set on outer edge of sleeve and out against gasket . Then use some good sealer around  water and oil holes. Gasket elementer or good silicone .           MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:49am
I don't remember what OEM gasket thickness is. I thought he said he has the copper gasket a little thinner (.063"), so that might cause fire ring thickness issues ??

Edited by DrAllis - 21 Feb 2021 at 7:51am
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:54am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

I don't remember what OEM gasket thickness is. I thought he said he has the copper gasket a little thinner (.063"), so that might cause fire ring thickness issues ??

The first and second oem gaskets was .065 inch. I was thinking of getting the copper fire rings from the copper gasket guy at .063” and then not annealing them. So than the rings would be harder than the gasket.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 2:05pm
A copper fire ring of any design will fail. IT'S COPPER!!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 7:08pm
Annealed metal fire ringed need to be .010-.015 thicker than gasket.         MACK
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 9:15pm
Should I go with copper or a different metal fire rings?
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:21pm
well,,,you tried the copper 3-4 times already,,,,try again?? or maybe do something different this time?? I think Dr. and mack have explained this to you more than once...

I gots a 45 diesel short block assembly, its got big, previously brazed cracks between the cylinders, rotates free,  will make you a good deal if ya want something just to 'expermint' with
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2021 at 10:41pm
Go with annealed steel. Copper is too soft. With steel, start at 20 ft lb torque, increasing 20 lbs until you reach the 100-110 torque.             MACK
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:30am
Is there a certain place that makes custom fire rings? I only know of a place with copper rings.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:20am
MACK can supply what you need. PM him
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
I took my head in to have it pressure tested today. So will get results in later on. But two sleeves are a bit too low, any ideas on how to get them to seal without taking it any more apart?
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 9:21pm
Would it work to have custom made fire rings per cylinder?
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 3:17pm
Thinking of putting a oem head gasket on with fire rings and hylomar gasket sealer. I also had the head pressure tested. It tested good.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 4:00pm
You have two sleeves that "are a bit too low".  So, exactly how low are they ??   This is exactly what those engines are known for....sinking sleeves. When they are new, they should be .003" to .005" ABOVE the deck surface (this is from memory). If you have any flush or below flush, you'll need thicker fire rings to "patch" it up. I think Mack may have some that he has made up that could help this situation. BUT, if you have two sleeves that are obviously lower than all the others....that is a problem. The correct fix is six new sleeves that have a taller flange on them and recut the block ledge to make the new sleeves sit at the correct height.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:57pm
They all are level with the block but two are about .001in or .002in under.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:29pm
From what I know from talking to the late forum member, Don(MO), sounds like it's time for a complete overhaul to me.Don was the best when it came to the Budas.Unfortunatley Don passed away last year.  Until all the counter bores are recut, the block decked, and sleeves replaced this will never hold a head gasket. Proper sleeve stand out must be achieved for head gasket to hold.Once that is done I would recommend a set of Mack's fire rings and an agco head gasket properly torqued. There is no cheap way to go about these Buda engines. Hopefully your block hasn't been decked too far already in the past.With two below the deck and the rest flush,they have all dropped. This is my 45 diesel that Don overhauled the engine in.It's one of the best starting and running 45 diesels around these parts.It starts with no preheat at 60 degrees or warmer I'm lucky to have one of his Buda builds.                                                                   

Edited by ac45dave - 02 Mar 2021 at 10:48pm
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic