This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:24am
Looking real good Chris! Keep up the good work! I always enjoy your threads on your projects
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:41am
Folks,
 Thought I had posted this stuff. Losing it fast over on this end of the world!
Not sure why these come out yellow looking!:
Used the jib to install the rebuilt mast cylinder:

Then lowered the moving mast with the jib also. Could have raised the cylinder to meet the mast sliding frame but I was working by myself and had to go slow and easy.

The rolling hoist on the jib really work well for this project. Worked from several angles and sides, as I gently lowered the mast tower to the top of the collapsed cylinder. 

Fired it up and so far so good. Cylinder functions and doesnt seem to be leaking. Ok I need to go check this morning!:)
Other things to look in the future are:
- Change engine oil and filter
- make sure alternator is working and put in a volt meter.
- replace fan belt, it looks a little rough, That should be fun.
- complete tune up
- check/ adjust timing
- Would like to get the new front tires at some point.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Feb 2021 at 8:46am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:12am
re: replace fan belt, it looks a little rough, That should be fun

oh yeah LOTS of 'fun'...
since the engines in 'backwards' !
Is the hydraulic pump on the front of the crankshaft ?
even more  'fun' !!!
have to remove pump to get fan belt on..
on mine, had to remove 300# weight to get access to pump....
motorcycle lift/jack comes in REAL handy for that operation.
whatever belt you put on ,make it 'shorter' , so you have lots of adjustment to get tighter,later, at least 1/2 of the 'slot ' should be available to snug it up next month...
don't ask WHY I KNOW about this....
oh yeah, be SURE engine and muffler are COLD when doing the belt
again,
don't ask WHY I KNOW about this....
really it's not that bad of a job, but have some nbandaids nearby
don't ask WHY I KNOW about this........

also, when lifting, be SURE the mast isn't under a truss
don't ask WHY I KNOW about this........

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:26am
Chris,
I had to do the belt on mine. Remove radiator, unbolt and pry back hydraulic pump to remove belt, not too bad.
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 1:35pm
Jay, Ed, Folks,
 Thanks on the fan belt. Carl mentioned removing the rad, remove the pump bolts, slide the pump away from engine. replace the belt.

So I did check at the battery and the alternator for charging. I got nothing above 12.5 ish which is just same value as the battery. So my guess is that the alternator is toast too. 
Sure why not, makes sense to me! Perfect! 
Now on the right side of the unit just outside the area where the solenoid is, is a Delco embossed box that looks like a slightly smaller voltage regulator? Has a nice molded pulg under plug under it. Not sure about diagnosing that unit?
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 1:44pm
Unless the belt on a forklift is really bad why even go to the trouble of changing it?? When it's for home use it's not like you're going to be stranded down the highway in bad weather. If it breaks in time, you're still in your own shop under your own roof. If you have a warehouse with a line up of trucks waiting for a load or to be unloaded you need a good belt no questions asked. I had many forklifts over more than 20 years... I never had a fan belt break for which I'm thankful! 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm
Eric, 
Thanks for the support. I agree that it probably would have worked for a long time. Being old and stubborn. I took on this as a two or three item project this afternoon.
Yea pulled the grill and the rad. Std rubber hoses and also the two coolant lines for the tranny.:

It was so very dirty in there I was actually glad I got some of the grease off of it:

So I learned that I need to actually pull the pump hoses off  to be able to get the pump to disengage from the crankshaft spline. Three lines on the pump.

Third I then pulled the alternator: Well it was junk of course:

And as I checked wires I found shorted wires near the block.
Probably going to try to clean some more of the protective coating off as I get things back together:

By the way the belt was not very good. and was stretched out to the max of the adjustment of the alternator. Will check with Napa on the alternator and new belt.

I will have a couple days in to monkeying with this too. I would like it to charge if possible.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Feb 2021 at 8:55pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:30pm
It was definitely time for some work in there. Hope the alternator isn't too expensive.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2021 at 9:54pm
Keeping right along, great work!

Curious, what is the model number of that pump?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 5:47am
WOW , I'm impressed you got ANY spark with all that oily dirt covering the coil !! HOW the heck can you work on such a small no-access machine ?? My hat's off to you for shear stamina and doggedness  just don't turn it into a 'trailer-queen show stopper' !
You might consider replacing the alternator with a cheapy CS130. Any version has mor eamps than you need and should give you a wee bit more room 'under the hood'. Looks like you found the engine name plate !!!
Please keep turnin wrenches and posting !
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:40am
Jay, John, Jim,
Hey this machine has that nice layer of protective coating! There has to be a magic way to clean this types of mess! Just disgusting! Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about how to clean this up easier!! 
Will see if NAPA can find a replacement alt.  Then fix the wiring and clean clean clean I guess. Wont get it all. Too cold to pressure wash it! Needs hot water pressure wash. But where every it happens it will be designated as a toxic waste dump site!
Goal: (short term)
 Get a very dirty F40 Forklift cleaner and back together and charging the battery by Thursday evening 2-4-21!

Long term goal: Keep searching for the near by cliff!Smile

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 6:48am
One thing I KNOW for sure...
when it's all together, 'up and running'....
3 days after you use it, you'll say WHY didn't I get this earlier !!!
handy 'option' to make.... a solid surface skid, that just covers the tips of the forks and as wide as the  'forkframe'. SUPER handy to move awkward or heavy items, getting onto a workbench or pickup box..... Do that  2-3 times and wow..life gets a bit easier !
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:21am
Jay, Folks,
I dont plan on a trailer queen fork lift.Smile 

The "solid surface skid" I think I can envision what you mean but do you have a picture? or sketch? sounds like it might be a good project (later). How thick of material? Are you saying, like 1/4 inch plate as wide as the fork frame (3 foot plus) and as long as the forks? does it need to be fastened to the forks? or have fork slots under it??

Ed pried his pump back to replace the fan belt. I moved my pump about a 1/2 inch and it was pretty tight. Decided to learn more and take the pump out. It had a least 1 inch of caked grease/oil/dirt, around the single front engine mount (rubber)! This stuff was packed around the crank pulley too! Was kind of glad I pulled it off just to clean / inspect the area, and will be much easier to get the new belt on too.

Might get some brake clean and try that for cleaner. 5 gallon might do the trick! Maybe a can of oil and tar remover. It works pretty good too. 

The tag that was on the hydraulic pump came off and was not legible.
I can take some pictures of the pump.

Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:49am
Man, caked around the crank?! Yikes! Simple green is a pretty great degreaser that isn't terrible for the environment. Buy it as a Concentrate in 1 gallon jugs at most box stores around here.

Thank you for looking, I wonder if it's stamped, like mine?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 7:57am
re: skid... I took a 40x48 hardwood skid and put 1/2" GIS(Good One Side)plywood on top.
 Oh yeah...skids.... try to collect ALL the same size skids !! makes it a LOT easier to move stuff around. Also when placing stuff outside,stack 2 skids high. Makes it easier to grab the top one. If you put 600#s on a single skid it'll sink into the ground for some silly reason....
too bad it isn't warm outside, a 1/2day pressure washing would be nice. I hooked up the house hot water to mine last year but boy did it make a mess.....

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:20am
Good tips and slick idea on the work surface Jay!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:25am
it's made is easy , well easier, to get rider engines and stuff off the shelves and onto a workbench. Forklifts have smooooth controls for up/dn and tilt. Took me a few tries to get the RIGHT sized 'transfer skid', and 'magically' it disappears every so often ......so like the board across the back of the F150 bed, I have to make another one up....
Life's too short , the older I get , to be fighting some things.....
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:54am
Folks,
Off to Napa again for more brake clean and some hose clamps. Picked up new belt and alt this morning and also a volt meter for the dash. So the clean up continues. The break clean works pretty well just need a massive amount of it!
So should start re assembly this evening. 

First the wiring needs to be noodled out the best my old brain will do. Repair/ splice/ replace the damaged wires. install the volt meter in the dash. May roughly follow this wiring that was done on the WD45?

(Some days wished I would have taken the electrical courses in school rather than the drafting/ design classes!)

Then install the alternator, and belt, Hyd pump, then the radiator/ grill. Sure sounds easy from the couch!

Regards,
 Chris

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 12:04pm
Chris, your shop is quite big with projects in different areas... what I did when I had my big shop, on that 'special skid', mounted a vice. With room for some tools etc it becomes a portable work station to reduce some of the walking back and forth. Now I need the exercise and my last forklift is sold.
As for alternator, I have recently bought a couple of Delco 10 si from Amazon, one even under $50 and delivery was very fast and they work great. The one you have in the picture is the early style with external regulator. Those regulators are also expensive now if you need to replace it and of course the 10 si is internal, saving you money.
Hats off to you for staying focused! You will more than get your money back if you decide to sell it. Forklifts are easy to sell, I've proved it many times.

Edited by Eric B - 02 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 1:26pm
Yes a pallet with a good peice of plwood on top would make a great portable work bench on the fork lift.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:52am
So As you can see I have a hard time leaving!
Anyway the forklift: Wife says I should be angry with the neighbor for giving me this unit. She doesnt know I actually had to pay him money for it too!Smile She is a keeper!

Eric and Tom, and folks,
Great idea on the working bench off the forks! I really like that idea! 

So NAPA stock went up yesterday due to my three deposits with them. Luckily they are only a couple miles down the road.
Got the same Delco alternator that I have on three of the Allis WD series tractors. It didnt have a spot for the third wire so I just left it off. 
So I cleaned up the wires that had melted. They were still 90% intact, so I just covered them with a heat shrink. Then retaped them together. 
I bought a volt meter. but decided not to install it till I checked the system charging status.
Many cans of Brake cleaner, various brushes from the "bank store" as Rhett calls it (Dollar Store). including a long handled toilet bowl brush. I modified the toilet bowl brush by squeezing it to a narrow shape. 
Then to the cleaning: Alternate between brushing with gas, scrubbing, and rinsing with brake clean. Repeat!

Wasn't pretty! Maybe got 70% of the grease off the engine area. I like things cleaner than this normally but just don't have the time to devote to it right now.
Better!:

So with wiring fixed up I proceeded to install the alternator. Of course the new belt that I requested to be 2 inches shorter than the old one was a inch too short! Back to NAPA for longer belt, but not too long , just right.

Here I had the wiring, Alternator, belt and pump back in place. I even got to grease the steering spindles from this location with the radiator out of the way.

Pics of the hydraulic pump:

Looks like I am getting 14 volts at the battery, and the current gage is showing a charge too. Some kid must have smashed all the glass in the gages. 
Getting the coolant hose back on the bottom of the rad and the lower radiator hose were not easy! Not really sure how it actually happened? Trying to block that out of my mind!:)

The F40 runs, moves, lift works, (doesnt want to go down all the way for some reason).Tilt cylinders work, brakes work, charging system is functioning. Idle has been adjusted. The current short term goal has been met! With a whole day to spare!
Need to still do the tune up, and set timing for gas.
Still learning!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Feb 2021 at 9:58am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:08am
GREAT... it's alive and well...... !!!!!
Good idea gettingthe SAME alternator as on the WDs..that way you have 'spares', just in case. Also the wiring is all the same.....
did you take off side weights to get access ? I've never really seen the sides of my Buda...
don't know why it won't go all the way down ?  might be som air trapped in the cylinder ? A few full up/full down might help ?? Just be SURE you're NOT under a truss or my loft !!!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 10:25am
Jay,
 Thanks! I have this feeling I could smash something really easy! No the weights all remained in place. Was tight! I need the hands of a 5 year old! Rhett was not interested in helping!Smile
Humm? yes maybe burping the cylinder may help? Will phone Carl.
Regards,
 Chris
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 6:48pm
Good clean up job!  As far as the mast not going alla the way down, inspect the rails and rollers, to see if you have a bad roller, bolt sticking out, or just caked up dirt impeding the roller and slide action.  There also may be a wear adjustment in the slides, that may be causing some of the problem...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:37pm
Dave , Folks,
 Jim stopped over and he stood on the forks and they went down the last few inches. I am going to check for dirt and debris at the bottom of the track and check and lube the rollers.

Put the side covers back on! Whoooo Whoooo! Must be done right? Probably not on a Allis unit!

Need to mount this gas tank and get fittings and shut off. The carb was leaking fuel today. Sounds like most of my AC stuff!

I got this nice operators manual from friend Ted today.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Feb 2021 at 7:30am
structures View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote structures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 9:46pm
I've been thinking of getting one of those sure shot aerosol cans and start buying brake cleaner by the gallon or pail.

Wife doens't think you paid for that giant hunk of metal???   Hmmm how do you pull that off?  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:21am
re: Hmmm how do you pull that off? 
Maybe......
In all the 'confusion' of the shop build as well as daily 'goingons', it just magically showed up, went into a corner and hid for 3-4 days.........Wink

I've never seen a real 'operator's manual' ! learned everything 'onthe job,taught myself'. I suppose that explains the convoy of vehicles I've had to use over the years to unstick my stuck in the mud forklift ??Cry
Guy nextdoor has an old metal fireextinguisher. he added a air valve to pressurize it. 1/2fills with water,does a great job of local,low power 'pressurewashing' on his motorcycles. You could dump brake cleaner in one....

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:29pm
Before you guys get all too happy with brake cleaner, remember that you are dealing with LOTS of hazardous chemicals that you inhale and that enter your body through your skin too. My doctor told me years ago that toxic substances in contact with your skin, or inhaled, travel to your brain in a matter of seconds, only one of many places where they cause damage. At my stage in life, I now know of too many people with dysfunctional brains... I don't want to become one of them.
That said, you did a great clean up job on that forklift, Chris!! 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 2:34pm
Yes Chris it cleaned up nicely for not using a pressure washer, I am sure it will come in very handy around your place. You have done a great job getting up and running.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 11:53am
Guys,
 Thanks! 
Got the fittings for the gas tank:

Now need to think about the support cradle for the gas tank.
Regards,
Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic