This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:53am
Let me try this again
Ed
Sponsored Links

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:54am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:55am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:56am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:57am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:51am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:52am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:52am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:53am
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 11:54am
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 7:46pm
Ed.
 Folks,
 Thanks for the pictures! Very detailed and I can see same things/ features on mine. My owners manual may come to me from friend Ted the Allis guy. He picked it up when it was going to be discarded at a shop he worked at. 
So you decided to put a bunch of money into yours. You must have the work for it or felt it was worth it? I am still learning about mine. 
Do you remember how long the pin was down into the blind hole? I was thinking of trying to drill a small hole at the end of the pin to get blaster into the cavity?
You carb must be just for propane. Much different than my dual fuel carb. Good to see features.
 Ramps, blocking looks good too. Stout!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 7:59pm
I WAS going to post pictures of my ramps very simlar to what's been posted though !
but ...
a certain 'he-who-shall-not-be-named' decided to test the long range abilty of his blasted machine........

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 9:31pm
Ever have things all typed up and hit some darn key and it all goes away: YEP You will have to fill in the words:

Found cavity at end of pin: The small .25 dia hole in the pivot block. The drill/hole saw coming through the side of the unit is where I will try to reach the end of the pin. 

Bored hole in skin:

Drilled 3/8 hole through 2-1/2 inches of frame:

Hit cavity at back of pin. Will drill larger hole for a drift to hit pin if my hole is accurate?
May need heat and hammer action?
Ed is right, both tilt cylinders need done. Probably hoses too!
Ed can you get the kit number and supplier for the rebuild kits on these cylinders?

Oh yea thats my new Dewalt light from Daughter Kelly! Also she got me a Dewalt Job site radio and I have been playing Chris Ledoux station on Pandora, very loud in the shop!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Dec 2020 at 6:03pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 1:11am
I have not been following your post. If no one has posted yet, you can probably get a technical manual at themanualstore.com.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 5:55pm
Tom,
 Thanks!
I did some additional drilling. May not look like much but I have reached the end of the pin that is stuck. I should be able to heat the pivot block and then hammer on it with a drift, or the air hammer?? Reminds me of the infamous WD brake pin!:
Drilled almost perfectly into the cavity where the pin is. 

By the way I now own this unit. Figured I might as well get that paper work completed before the end of the year. 
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 8:21pm
Folks,
 Small things! Here is that stuck pivot pin as it is driven out!

Left tilt cylinder is on the bench for review. I need to clean it up and look for numbers stamped on the outside. Now to find rebuild kits.

Currently working on removing the pin from the right lift cylinder. I got some movement from it so letting the Blaster soak in over night.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Dec 2020 at 8:23pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 9:03pm
sucess  !! nice to see !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:06pm
Jay,
 Folks,
 Got the other tilt cylinder off too. Not pretty! Got the numbers found on the cylinders.

Approx distance to the rod  to split clevis engagement: 1 inch plus

The markingss;slightly different on each cylinder:

Yea some clean up will be required. Have call in to local hydraulics shop.

Will examine the hoses too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Dec 2020 at 3:09pm
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:29pm
Chris, yes decided to put some money into her, had it since 2005 and it has been a very good machine for me. I don't have seal kit numbers because I had them rebuilt by someone else. Glen over at forkliftpartssupply seems to be very good at finding parts. his e-mail is glennl@forkliftpartssupply.com. I have e-mailed him with the part I was looking for and he came up with the part number and price. i know he will need your S/N.
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:33pm
Ed, Folks,
 Thanks!
I cleaned the years of gunk off the tilt cylinders and took them to a repair shop in Erie. Leo's is going to examine and quote a kit and also quote to do the complete rebuild on both cylinders too. Ball park pricing seems to be near your numbers too. I will probably let them do it. I really don't want to screw up a expensive seal. Which is just my luck! Also these are not in a easy place to get at. 
Ed, your pictures and info helped me on this F40 project.
Regards,
 Chris

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 6:10pm
Chris,
If you need any other info I am more than willing to share what I know
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:10pm
Folks,
 Gave the hydraulic repair shop the go ahead to rebuild the tilt cylinders. They will rebuild  test and warranty their work on these cylinders. Not cheap. About $300 each for parts and labor. (just about what Ed estimated) The seal kits were about $100 each if I wanted to do the rebuild myself.  I just don't want to screw these up.

I may look into the cost to replace the 4 or 5 hoses also. Again probably the right thing to do following Ed's lead.
I am going to have some funds into this unit already and it hasn't done much yet! Ok I have a bunch of other toys just setting there not doing much too!Smile Just add this to the pile!

Valve cover gasket coming from Sandy Lake. Same as a D15 Diesel engine.

Regards,
 Chris

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm
  But Chris you will enjoy having around and things it will do for you, them hoses will make it safer to work around.
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 4:54pm
Your chiropractor will thank you for having it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 7:39pm
Folks,
Freind Matt invited me to his shop so I took the broken pin and he made me a new one.

Brought it home and its going to work just fine! I then fought with the F40 about tapping the 3/8 hole that I buggered up when trying to get the pin out! Finally got it cleaned up and re-tapped.
Man it will nice to have some real lights in the shop someday!

Just like new!:

The last big heavy project provided me with the opportunity to blow out a disc and have back surgery! Trying to be a little more cafreful on things now.

Happy New Year! Looking forward to 2021!
Regards,
 Chris
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 10:13am
Happy New Year to you and your family as well
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:30pm
Folks,
 Broken bolt in top of F40 counter weight. Going to use these tapped holes to mount the frame work for the gas tank.

I shocked this protruding 3/8 bolt with a couple hammer blows. welded a washer and nut on and it twisted off. Got a bigger washer and welded it and a nut on again. Let it cool and it wiggled and I new we had it!

Got the new valve cover gasket but it needs stretched to allow a better fit. Doesn't have the side tabs to hold it in the valve cover. Will glue it to the valve cover.

Regards,
 Chris
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:00pm
Well that sucks, the valve cover I got fit perfect
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:09pm
Ed, Folks,
Yes I seen yours and it has the tabs. This one is from a D15 Diesel I think and it is just a simple band. I will make it work, but that will be tomorrow after stretching it out to shape. 
I should get my cylinders near the end of this week. I plan to design/ build the gas tank mount this week too. May have to get some steel plate shapes. 
I forgot to ask on your ramps. does the forklift drive up each 1.5 inch step?  Then you jack it up from there? I may have to build something like that?
I have this feeling I may have to get safely under it for some work. Oh yea the brakes! Have to work on them at some point too.
Big 69 today so I didnt do much. Wait that's normal!
Have to get the hoses off and take them when I go to get the rebuilt cylinders too.
 Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:22pm
Happy Birthday Chris!  Is the gasket made out of cork?  If so, let it soak in water, it should expand a bit.  A trick I learned from my day close to 60 years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 11>
  Share Topic