This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 1:43pm
Is it that simple just to change to a gas carb?
Humm I may look at it again.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:03pm
If you are really baffled over the propane system just stick a gasoline carb on there with a little gas tank and way you go. For propane systems that have been unused for a long time you get sticky plungers and valves with corroding pot metal. I had this go around with a Clark forklift some years back. It took me a long time before I went through the different components and got it running right... if you wish for more tips you can let me know. 
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 1:14pm
Folks,
 Any great ideas / pictures on getting something into the manifold like carb cleaner, to see if it will fire on that? I really dont have much idea about the propane regulator system?
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2020 at 1:14pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:09pm
That is a good deal, you can't go wrong at that price. The brakes may just be low on brake fluid, you can take your time fixing a slow fluid leak later. Having had two of these 40's myself I think they are a very good size and model. I've had many forklifts over the years but I always liked these 40's the best.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:59am
Thanks guys,
May try to get it started. Also may check with Sandy Lake to see it they have any info on trouble shooting getting one of these running?
Friend Matt (IH) is going to come over and help me try to get it running. If it works I may add it to the collection. 
Concerned about the brakes too! Minor details!:)
John, Yes I have visions of it doing work in a new shop too!
 Regards,
 Chris

PaulRoidt(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRoidt(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:43am
Have owned older F40-24 for  many years, although they are the older models that have a manual clutch.  If you were confident that is ran and drove correctly when parked I think it would be a good deal.  I paid $1100 plus $130 to get it loaded on the trailer for the last one I bought.  The forklift was on a dock so had to hire a roll back to get it off the dock.  The G153 engine is a good engine.

Paul

Edited by PaulRoidt(WI) - 03 May 2020 at 7:44am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:43pm
I am not going to be any help on this, but I sure think that it would be handy for lifting things up into storage/shelving in your new building!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:49pm
Folks my neighbor has a F40 Allis-Chalmers fork lift that he is going to sell or scrap. I told him I want to look it over and have a chance at buying it. Not that I really need another project. But its not a tractor so I might be able to get it in under the radar?
It currently does not run and has no brakes. 
It is a 4000 lb lift, has two sets of forks.
Here are some not so good pictures. 

tag did not come out well:

He is asking $500. Distance is not a issue I could drive it home. It looks like it needs lots of love. Are they money pits? I know absolutely nothing about them. Tell me the good the bad and the ugly? He said I could try to get it running. But where do I start? He said it had spark? It did roll over. 
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic