This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 9:23am
OK, please add to the list of  'todo' things....
 rebuild the job crane so the 'pitch' of the diagonal piece is the SAME as the pitch of the roof trusses.......Cry it looks 'funny......

I know, it's just a small, simple thing........probably take just an hour to two ???Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:55am
I keep a WORD Document on my desk top computer..."THINGS TO DO"... I move them up and down by priority.. Some things are on there for 3 days... Somethings have been there for 3 years..  At the bottom of the page i move the DONE items into Jan- Feb- March when they get done.. That way i have a running list "when i did that".
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 12:05pm
Hey Chris,
     Is that David Bradley garden tractor on your to do list for restoration. Always thought they were an interesting piece of equipment; like the shape of the hood.  Dad had one when I was growing up; had the disk, sickle mower, cultivator and a potato plow. Dad may have made the v-shaped plow for the potatoes, not sure. Remember him mowing the yard with it. The thing sat in a shed for years and I always thought I would talk him out of it one day. Well, he proudly announced one day that he had sold it for $50.00. That was probably 35 years ago. Guess I should have acted sooner. Enjoy yours, Russell.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 2:31pm
Folks,
I was lazy today running around, so I am going to spend a couple hours in the Forum Shop and work on something!

Floyd, its gone! I may bore you folks with additional details later, nothing earth shattering for sure?

Jay, Yes the jib boom upper support is not the same angle as the trusses, but I used all the free steel that my neighbor gave me! Also had to get under the door tracks. I do have to get used to a bunch of stuff that in a couple years will seem normal too! I do sometimes go back and fix things. Most of the time I just move on to the next project!Smile Good enough is good enough!

Steve, That things to do document sounds like a good idea too! Nice to go back over notes for details you may have forgotten.

ac, The David Bradley will stay in its work clothes. It starts and runs good. It is a family tractor, and just came with the cultivators. I drug it home from Cheryl's Dad's place. It was here Great Grandfathers. I know that made lots of attachments for them. We had one with a sulky when I was a kid and we traded it for my first pony! That was almost 60 years ago.

Happy New year to all the Allis Forum folks!

Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:01pm
Folks,
So as usual on the cheap I attempted to build a festoon (sp) system for the power cord on the jib crane hoist. Sure looked simple on paper!  Hoist moves out, cord follows, hoist moves in cord retracts. Some brackets, some wire rope, maybe a turnbuckle, Some chain links, a few zip ties, I mean how hard can this be?? Well It still has me in a head lock and not sure how it may come out?  Stiff, heavy electrical cord does not play nice! After several attempts, I gave up. It beat me, well yesterday at least! Maybe some new ideas will come to mind if I can get out there today? Will you get pictures? Maybe if I can beat this thing, and have acceptable results! Has to be a simple way? Any ideas out there? I have googled it. Probably the right thing to do is get a pig tailed coil cord for $100. Probably bot going to happen. Remember the cheap thing!

Wrapping up 2020! Almost in the books! Its been a great/ good and bad year! Guess that averages out to normal? I really did not let the pandemic slow me down much. Was I lucky and didnt get Covid-19? Yes! But still plenty of time for that in 2021!
Very pleased to have the shop dried in and all the infrastructure in the outside done! Thanks to those that provided the ideas, suggestions, recommendations, pictures, and support along the way too!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:30pm
You made great progress on your projects this year, IMHO, Chris.  On your power cord problem, something came to mind that might work.  You know the cables that hook to a semi trailer from the tractor?  Seems like they are coiled wires, maybe a couple of those connected together would work.  I bet you could get them for close to nothing at a truck wrecking yard. 
I think you made the right decision on using fiberglass insulation.  Seems like if you cover the walls and ceiling with plastic, you would get nearly as good a vapor barrier as foam for less then half the cost.  I don't know if having plastic on one side and tyvac on the other would cause moisture build up in the walls or not.  Wouldn't be a problem out here in the arid west but you sometimes get more rain in a month then we usually get in a year and humidity here is in the 30% range most of the time, less in the summer.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 1:33pm
  Yes, Have a Safe & Happy New Year. Can you do some searching on the internet and find some pictures of setup to see how they have their cords
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 8:26pm
John, tadams, Folks,
Thanks! some days it sure doesn't feel like progress! But we did make a bunch of moves in 2020!
We get about 50% or more days per year with moisture or humidity. Anyway I did ask the insulation guy about a vapor barrier and the batts have a built in vapor barrier with the paper coated backing on the inside surface of the batts. 
My building is a little unique compared to a conventional pole building since it has 5/8 osb and house wrap on the exterior. More like a house. With the vinyl and wood siding. I went around the other night when the wind was blowing hard and checked the walls for air that I could feel. Really did not find any thing. 
I did some research on the foam and it has been know to have issues if not installed right. It would be just my luck to have something go wrong. 
Also I may need to do something in the wall cavity before the interior goes up too. So fiberglass batts it will be! I will keep you up to date on that. Guessing near mid/end of January for that to happen??

I was at a friend Matt's shop tonight and asked him and another friend, Dave, about the festoon issues. Dave's idea was adding weights to the cord. I thought that was very strange but when I came home I tried a 1 lb. weight on the cord and by golly I think a variation of this might just be the ticket. Simple but may work good. Still some additional work to do as its still in the prototype stages.

Going to move the cable out away from the rail another 8 inches. Should prevent the cord getting caught in the trolley. May add another loop and weight too.

Also on the Jib, am going to look into getting new tighter pins made for the pivot pins. The slop in the pivot joint/ pin fit may be part of my out of level swing?? Also had the top of one of my pins come apart. Luckily I found that and caught and fixed that. In hind site I should have provided a means to adjust/ level the jib beam. The old 'always time to do it over' thing. And if its not one thing its 5 others!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Dec 2020 at 8:32pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2020 at 9:05pm
Chris, you've gotten way more done than me! This whole shop thing is great. Meanwhile I still have a few more things to knock out before I can get back on the WD that I started tearing apart in April.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 8:27am
John, Folks,
 Everything seemed to go on hold with this building project last year. Just starting to get into some things that I have neglected. Syrup season is about a month away. That will keep me out of trouble for a couple months too. Good luck on your WD project. I have had a couple get sidelined for a while too. Takes lots of dedicated time to take one apart and re-assemble them too.
Going to try to keep going in 2021. Still many moves to make on the shop project too.
The list looks long, and the budget is looking, well not so good!Smile
Electrical
Shop air distribution system
Insulation
Ceiling panels
Lighting
Wall coverings
Plumbing/ fixtures
Heating system (boiler)
Work benches

Yikes! Sounds like it will be 2022 before I can move in!

Thanks for checking in on my shop blog! Must go do something!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Jan 2021 at 8:38am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:41am
It will all come together in time, just look at what you have accomplished so far, remember when you were in the planning stages. Have a safe New Year we are having freezing rain here in Ohio. Guess I should go out and build a big fire to help warm things up. Stay Safe.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 5:33pm
t,
Freezing rain is headed our way tonight! Thanks for the positive support in 2020 and into 2021. Whoooo hoooooo! We made it!Smile
I worked on the jib crane festoon a little more today, got it about good enough. 
Rainy and raw weather, makes me think sugarin' is right around the corner too.
This spring will be 20 year of making maple syrup ourselves in our own sugarhouse. It's been great fun!
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Jan 2021 at 5:34pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
Folks,
 Minor details but did get the chain bucket made for the Dayton hoist. Used a piece of 6 inch plastic pipe. Whittled out a wood block for the bottom. Of course I had to do it over. had it the right length (18 inches) then cut it off and made it too short! Love to practice!
Get power to that jib pole and the hoist should be operational soon.

Also did measuring for my ceiling panels Would love to get those put up right after the insulation goes up. Sure would be better than moving stuff again too.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 5:41am
re: had it the right length (18 inches) then cut it off and made it too short!

cut it BEFORE adding the bottom block of wood ?? BTDT, welcome to the 'club' !!!

In my case , I have 2 chainhoists on trolleys on the overhead Ibeam. Well, the
chain hoists have LONG 'hand' chains. So I cut them to remove a few links(8-10' worth).well, they both a tad SHORT for me when I'm sitting on a stool.....yeah...any idea WHERE I put 2 LONG chunks of chain in my garage ??

Jay

Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:24am

Chris
Regarding your Power Cord for your Electric Hoist.

It is not hard to find an Air Line that naturally Self Coils itself around a Stretched Wire. Think I have seen them at Harbor Freight.

2 ways you could make use of this.

You could stretch out the Air Line, and zip-tie your Power Cord to it.

OR you could cut the fittings off the end of the Air Hose and run 3 separate stranded wires inside the Air Line.

G
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 10:21am
Folk, Jay, Gary,
Good suggestions! I think I have the cord, jerry rigged enough to work. Like most of my other stuff! One thing I did not do was shorten any of the chains or cords, as I though I might need the extra length someday too. The control cord is bundled around the motor on the hoist. I did attach the control pendent to a wire and handle that allows me pull the hoist with oujt strain on the pendent cord.
I have to get out and do something!Smile Spent a good part of the morning talking with old friends on the phone. I guess we solved most of the worlds problems!
May spend some time on the F40 forklift project.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
  I like to get my work done it the morning and goof off in the afternoon.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 7:30pm
Gary beat me to it Chris.  The cheap coiling air line is indeed at Harbor Freight.  I was thinking if you couldn't get all the wires inside, you could zip tie at least one outside.  I think it'd work great.  Depending on weight, you might want to zip tie two of them together with the cord.  Sorry, but the extra $$$ can come from somewheres else...

Just thought of something else too........that book you were writing,,,,,,,,, If you were doing it in MS Word, even though you shut down the puter, it'd still be there.  I have mine set to 'save' every 10 minutes.  That much loss I can put up with.

NOW,,,,,,,,,,,,starting lists should make us all happy.  We can start right now by making up lists of stuff for us to spend all of Shameless' $$$ on Big smile when he starts to build his new one. Wink
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
t, Ted, and Folks,
I have been lazy lately, since we have not had the GGson over in the mornings. 
I took some pictures of the Jib hoist.

Don't know if I mentioned The approximate height from floor to hook is about 8 feet. Not great but better than nothing! 
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:18pm
Folks,
 Used the Dayton hoist to lift the work table to remove old wheels. Worked good for this small project:

Thanks for checking on me! 

Ok the trivia question of the day. See if anyone can guess what this frame work (my work table), was in its first life? 
Hints: 
It was farm related. 
It held thousands of gallons of stuff. 
It was made in the late 50's.

Just sold my TD6 loader to friend Matt.  It was my Uncle Jacks machine to load sand and gravel in the 50's. Its going to a good IH home, not far away.
And this is a picture of it with its new owner taken a year ago.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Jan 2021 at 7:24pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:48pm
Milk bulk tank?  Now a work bench.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:29am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Milk bulk tank?  Now a work bench.

John,
You nailed it! 250 gallon Dari-kool tank frame, was dad's milk house tank!
Regards,
Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 1:40am
Now that you no longer have the IHC crawler, you ought to go over to Ohio and get that Allis that is on the Construction Equipment page!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:08am
John,
 That is probably not going to happen. I am not sure what my next project might be. In fact i have several small tractor projects that need some serious attention. Hoping I can do some of those before I start on something big again.
The dozer/ crawler thing is pretty neat though. Kind of big kid toys! I had fun learning about tracked machines also. A small Allis dozer that looks like a small D series might be kind of cool!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:28am
yeah an H3... I always wanted one,sniff,sniff...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 12:14pm
Jay,
 Yea that H3 would be another nice Allis toy too! Ok add that to the bottom of the bucket list!
Thanks for the encouragement guys!
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:14pm
Hey Chris, is everything OK?  I saw you were on at 6 yesterday but no new posts on the building or forklift.  Did you finally decide to take a weekend off?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:35pm
John,
Good here!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 6:57am
Folks,
Loft area. Before it gets filled with junk.

Latest project on the old truck. Treated it to new NAPA (Monroe) shocks. After 140K miles these old original Ranchos were toast!

Always wanted a old truck! Now I have one!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Jan 2021 at 6:58am
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 7:50am
Looking good Chris!!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 56>
  Share Topic