This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:54am
Orange folks,
I did get the small knee wall up under the stairwell.

At some point I will need to think about plumbing and drains. May need some help in these areas. Like construction, it not something I do everyday. I am sure there are many approaches and options. I would like to have all the waterlines sloped to be able to drain them if needed too. 

Off to get supplies at the lumber yard.

Raining today, good day to work in the shop. Will try to get some pictures as I progress slowly.
Thanks for checking in on me.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Nov 2020 at 7:55am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm
Folks,
I brought the well used (old) YALE chain hoist home the other day. 

It is a 1 ton, spur gear, made in United States:

Not sure of the clean up process for this unit? But It may function for what I am going to do for a while. It serviced my uncle in his shop for years.

Also picked up some 2x4x12's from Home Depot. 

Soggy outside!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:13pm
Using PEX, you may be hard pressed to get water lines to drain if winterizing the building. Have always used compressed air to blow out the lines.
Steve g View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 6:09pm
Omg had to LOL three times on the sunglasses for the sensors thanks   The reason I have the doors down was the inside of the shop looks like a bomb hit it but thanks that happens every now and then
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm
Plummerscarin,
 Thanks! I have copper in the sugarhouse and have been draining it when cold for 20 years works good. but is designed to drain. I was referring to lines above floor for sinks and things? My real plan is to keep a heater or heat in the bath area when cold. 
Just thought of a question is there a special material for wax ring that will take the in floor heat? My lines for Z1 run right against the toilet drain.

Steve g. My attached garage looks like a bomb went off most of the time too. Any horizontal surface becomes full of clutter. I must do better in this new shop.!Smile
I will have to watch my sensors too!

Folks,
I worked a couple hours tonight in the loft since the weather was Mr. Yuck. Got to test the drain going to the road ditch with the shop downspouts and the sugarhouse and some french drainage too. The green drain is a 6 inch dia. Real glad I was able to get that work completed before the weather got bad!

In the loft these small 1 foot angled 2x2's will allow ceiling materials to be added and not interfere with the metal tie gussets of the truss. Just has to be more work to add anothe jog in the sides of the ceiling!

Here is the loft knee wall, 16 inches high along the sides of the room. Again this allows me to be away from the plates on the trusses.  current height in the loft for walking is 7'-2".

Next will be the framing for the south end of the loft, and then the stair well framing.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Nov 2020 at 8:41pm
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:04am
Your doing great Chris! Keep up the good work!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
sho-man1 View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sho-man1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:25am
Home DEPOT had a neoprene ring for toilet mounting. I guess is that is the heated floor solution for not melting the wax ring.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:32am
Farmboy520,
 Thanks! If I can keep going I may get the majority of the framing done this week. Then let the serious wiring begin!

Insulation experts will stop and review project again too.
We have several inches of snow this morning. Roads are slick. Glad I am not traveling the roads to work!
Folks,
Helping GGrandson Rhett with his virtual learning for his Kindergarten class. Not sure who is learning??:) Only good thing is I can navigate the chromebook he is using, But it will take a while to figure out his work assignments, and zoom meetings too.  When I went to first grade 63 years ago we had no clue of the changes coming in the technology world!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:35am
Originally posted by sho-man1 sho-man1 wrote:

Home DEPOT had a neoprene ring for toilet mounting. I guess is that is the heated floor solution for not melting the wax ring.

sho-man1,
That is probably what I need! Thank you very much for the input on this. I was there yesterday, but plumbing was not on the list of things to shop for. I will check those neoprene gaskets out too. 
Regards,
 Chris
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:40am
WinkGood to know your keeping up and hopefully pass kindergarten.LOL Only 20 years ago I still would not believe I would get into this online cyber world. I had been exposed back in the 70's and said not for me. The kids today just seem to know to start pushing icons and such.

Wink  Chis I hope there are not to many other old "tractor nuts" to close with this "Deluxe Tractor Shop" , they will be sitting around enjoying how toasty warm, and out of their wife's reach. LOL You will never have a chance to finish the kindergarten experience.LOL

Thank you for letting us share your journey on this build. 

Edited by Ray54 - 01 Dec 2020 at 10:43am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:31pm
Ray54,
Your welcome! Being a picture nut, with the gift of gab too, its just part of the day now!Smile

I do need to get out there and do something a little bit each day in the shop. But so far I have spent most of the day talking about the health of the local maple syrup industry. We have a spring event each year to educate and promote maple syrup. The way we have that event will have to be altered with the pandemic. Just not sure how we will change to still allow customers to feel safe visiting our location?
 Temp around freezing and 4 inches of the white stuff! Thanks Shameless!
Regards,
 Chris

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 1:10pm
I have raidiant floor heat in my house basement and garage and used wax rings and haven't had any problems.
Sure like the way you are working your trustees will make it easy to put up the wall covering up there.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:52pm
The plastic rings are the way to go.  No more mess or problems.  I just helped the S.I.L. put in a new toilet.  He tried the blue one cause it looked superior to the red one.  The red one was the best choice.  I don't recall the brands, just look for a red one.  The first one I used was an accordien type pipe that slid into the pipe and pushed up against the bottom of the toilet.  It's been 5 or 6 years or more and no problems.

The kid also put a bidet on the new pot.  It has a remote control.  that's exactly what you need out there Chris!

Edited by john(MI) - 01 Dec 2020 at 5:54pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:56pm
JohnMI, is the bidet hooked to the cold water line?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:09pm
We are NOT doing a bidet! Peroid! Final! I just have to draw the line somewhere on this project of yours!

Worked in the shop all afternoon. Nailers and girts to allow wall and ceiling materials to be applied at some point. The ceiling in the stairway and how it intersects the loft ceiling just had to be fiddled with until I could see how it was going to come out.

upstairs loft window framed out:

Shop when I came in tonight:

Regards,
 Chris
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:21pm
WOW....ain't that a "pretty" site? yer doing good on the shop, when is my "move in" date? shucks, you are cutting up lots of firewood for the syrup, just as well cut a little more to heat the shop with! can get a regular wood furnace that they put in homes, they look nice and put out unbelievable heat! 
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

JohnMI, is the bidet hooked to the cold water line?

Yep, but they have hot water on demand. Just gotta avoid pushing the pink button!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:14am
Folks,
Have to try to move some of that 'pretty' today. Use to pile snow where this gray thing is. Now to find new places. 
South wall of loft to work on next!
Plus zoom meetings with GGson Rhett for kindergarten too. Fun stuff trying to help him with his computer homework during this week. He has more homework than I had in all my 12 years of school! Just doesnt seem right. His backpack would make a healthy Sherpa grunt!
Regards,
 Chris
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 3:20pm
I love the photo of the PRETTY and the way it shows up!  My wife did one of the front of our house last night and the X Mas light, same way.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 1:20am
OK JohnMI, I give up, what does the pink button do?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 8:32am
Folks,
Meeting with fiberglass insulation guy last night. I added some additional work with the inside walls and the loft area too. Might as well try to see what the whole project will cost. Quote in a couple days. Another insulation contractor to visit Monday. Out of Youngstown Ohio, Boak and Sons were recommended by the heating guy.
Wall coverings still open for ideas too. Pretty sure I would like to have the steel liner panel material on the ceilings. Clean and white.
Thanks for checking on me.
 Off to zoom meeting for the resident kindergartner!
JohnColo, the pink button may be to activate the bidet? just guessing??
Wondering how a project can get off in the weeds like this thread has?:) Stay tuned we aren't done yet!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Dec 2020 at 8:36am
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 9:00am
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

OK JohnMI, I give up, what does the pink button do?

The Pink button moves the sprayer for lady parts!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 4:54pm
Folks,
 Might get a hour or two in the shop tonight?  Spent most of the day helping Rhett with is virtual school work, taking naps and watching YouTube about pole building construction. Always good to do the research after the project is well under way! Seems how I have done everything in life!
More 2x4 wall framing to work on at the south end of the loft area near the jib crane.
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 8:58pm
I think you are doing great Chris.  Remember back in July you were working on just getting the building up then worrying about getting the roof on before much rain.  Now you've got it all closed in and really making progress with the inside.  A couple more months and that thing is going to be finished and you will be wondering what to start next.  Actually you will be just about ready to start taping trees when you finish the last little details.  We are all going to be bored next summer unless someone else steps up with a  project we can follow.  It could be Shameless dismantling combines but he doesn't believe in pictures, ya suppose he's part Amish?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:57am
John,
The Amish snow machine? Has a ring to it doesn't it!Smile I really did not know where the building project was going to go. The largest project I have even done.  The title could have been more like the country song "Less talk more action". But I keep trying to move along. I know at some point I will run out of funds or ambition or life takes over and I will just live in what I have done. But to your point, I am very pleased to be dried in at this time of the year. I have met all my personal goals on this with lots of help and lots of ideas from folks on this forum too!
My bent for picture taking and continued banter about things we do are more like a blog than just a normal thread. Well at least it has taken on some type of a following, I guess based on the number of views. 
I do try to answer most comments, Glad 20,000 of the views choose not to comment! Just kidding!
This type of a project has been a dream of mine and my wife has not said much about it. So we keep trudging along. 
Current goals:
-Get this last of this interior wall framing done.
-rough wire the building
-insulate the building
-install the liner panel ceiling
-install the wall finish.
-complete the heating system (boiler for the floor heat)

Yikes after writing it out like that it looks overwhelming still! Humm? better just put my head down and work on one thing at a time!

pic of end wall loft framing:

Doesnt look like much, seems to take me forever! Adding two doors in this small wall too. One for access from the high bay. The other door/s into the crawl space above the scissors trusses.
Those should be fun to try to seal up!

This is the platform to get over into the attic space. Just used some extra siding boards as the base.

WARNING:
Totally separate not building related! 
Lunch was home made Venison Kielbasi (lots of garlic) on Ritz cracker (salt down) then NY sharp cheese, topped with our Maple BBQ sauce. (Grandson Nic made this from his wife's buck. Nice to see the young folks doing some of this too) 
A dozen of those and life is good!

Also need to go get another LPG wall heater I spoke for from a friend. Its a 30K BTU unit that I may use as a temp heat source in the shop just to warm my hands.

And as John said before we know it Maple syrup season will be here. I keep walking around all this tubing hanging in the loft. I didn't realize how much room it takes up! It will have to go back in the rafters of the sugarhouse next year. Just not going to be room for it in the shop loft!:)

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Dec 2020 at 8:03am
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:10pm
Did I hear a request?

[TUBE]XI7YzUKE_wI[/TUBE]
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:58pm
Thanks Dave,
 I needed something like that! 
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 6:26am
Dave
Chris,
I enjoy your threads. A little rambling isn't a bad thing. A thought on the wall heater..
It will be a nice addition to get some heat going before the boiler is up and running and then you could use it as supplemental heat afterwards. Some use the radiant heat to maintain a constant temp say around 60 then turn on the secondary unit to bump the temperature up to around 70 when working in the shop. Just a thought
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 6:55am
plummer,
Exactly my thoughts too. That 30K BTU unit may be just the ticket to bring zone 1 up quickly while the floor heat may not be up to temp.

I may need you help on plumbing issues too.
I need to run a vent for the sink drain. I believe it needs to be above the drains for the sinks. I may have two sinks going into the same drain below the vent. Is it ok (I hope) to run the vent pipe around under the stairs to the drain? About the only option I have.
 Then another thing is the actually water lines to the sinks:
Should I run them inside the room (warmer) or in the walls?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 10:48am
Not following you on the vent question. Post a photo. For water, opinions vary some. General rule is no water in an exterior wall where freezing is possible. I have done such a thing when a 2x6 wall and insulated. Keep the line between finish wall and insulation. Must control the draft. This is where spray foam is best as it will seal the draft. Had a client buried water line in foam in a 2x4 wall. Never an issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627 56>
  Share Topic