This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flush out ca transmission/differential?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flush out ca transmission/differential?
    Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:22am
My hydraulic pump is removed and I have a blank plate over where the hydraulic pump mounts to and I know that it does not leak at all with trans/ hydraulic fluid.
I'm trying to get every bit of Gunk and stuff out of this area so I'm wondering what the best way to do it is without actually taking it all apart and cleaning it so that when I put my hydraulic pump back on it does not get cross-contaminated with the milky oil that I've been draining out of this tractor?
I thought I was told at one point that someone used to put kerosene in these when they got them in their shop drive them around a bit just to slosh everything up and clean it off inside and then drain it, I've also heard that you can put diesel fuel in them but not drive it around so I'm looking to see what people's opinions are on what's okay or what's not.

This picture was from after I already tried using cheap super 303 to flush everything out after driving around a little bit, but I don't believe it's cleaning anything so I was thinking of going a little bit more on the solvent side as in diesel or kerosene?
Thanks Matt 👍
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:48am
I'd remove your plywood port, and use a spray bottle full of kerosene. Start at the lowest point, a few pumps, and work you way to the top. Walk away,say 5-10 minutes and let it drain. Now go back and do it again.... and again... and again. It'll need several 'flushes' NOT just one big one. When you figure it's clean ( I'm thinking 10x ), use spray brake cleaner, again start from the bottom... let drain for 5, do that again, let air dry. Wipe with clean cloth, see what you get. If you aren't happy, do it again...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:54am
I know that would get where the hydraulic pump bolts on to clean in that area but I can't see past the big gear.I want to wash out into the transmission or differential area. I'm pretty confident that I've got the area you're talking about clean by what you're saying to do, but it's all a shared area and the oil I believe transfers between all three areas (only / short divisions by ridges from the bottom between each section...

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 01 Apr 2020 at 6:55am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:58am
I fill it full of kerosene and let it set for a while. You might want to put a pan under it. Kerosene will seep where hydraulic fluid won't. If it doesn't come out clean, refill it until it does.
I save the used kerosene to wash parts in.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:15am
Ok, thanks
After I would drain kerosene,do I need to try to flush the kerosene out before I add the new clean hydraulic oil somehow?
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:33am
You know there is a gasket dam between the transmition and hydraulic pump. If you don't fill it above the dam nothing is going into the other side. Filled my C with diesel fuel and drove it around the yard for 30 minutes drain all three drains as soon as I stopped it turned out clean. I put the cleaned out hydraulic pump on and didn't touch it for 20 years it was still working good when I gave it away.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:41am
This is what I wanted to know. if I could do it and not damage anything, thank you very much.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
I, personally, don't drive them. Let it drain overnight before filling.
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:07am
Diesel fuel is a lot cheaper.

I used Dawn dish soap and hot water on real crappy ones. I had the power take off housing off though when I was able.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:38am
Ok, thanks fellas
I've got a plan now!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm
I just flushed everything out with diesel and it finally came out looking clean! Now I'm going to do it again with 303 or something cheap so that I can get rid of the diesel...
And finally put my new/ old rebuilt clean pump on and refill with good trans hydraulic fluid.

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 01 Apr 2020 at 4:46pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:16am
303 is fine in a CA. They called for 10W non-detergent oil. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:29am
Ok thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 5:04pm
I ended up flushing out the hoses connectors and cylinders and was really glad that I did because the amount of chunks of debris and milky oil that would have gotten into my newly cleaned pump was outrageous!(I probably raised and lowered manually with my hands 30 times to get the oil to come out looking
clean again)
I just kept dumping out the old fluid from my 2 little buckets and putting in more new and raising and lowering the arms to flush everything out of the cylinders(drawing in the clean fluid and pumping back out was a slow process but it did work and eventually I got clean oil coming out of both cylinders...
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:14pm
Interesting - I'm going to do the same with my cylinders. Also, I have a hydraulic dump cart that I use with the CA - I think it'd be wise to figure out how to do the same with its line and cylinder.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 7:35pm
I know that I'm going to do it with my trip loader bucket and anything else that I ever hook up to the ca's back hydraulic port that could push dirty oil into my tractor and pump after all I've gone through to get it clean!
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2020 at 9:03pm
My 37 WC axle never ran clear but I gave up and said good enough after several gallons of kerosene sat in it for a while.  It started with nasty, milky stuff that would hardly even come out the hole.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic