This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Straight Stick plus Gleaner power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:05pm
Ok,I gotcha....I was just wondering how much weight because I was thinking just at glance that the 2” square tubing ((if I’m seeing that right)) you have welded to the angle iron might benefit from a triangle gusset welded on both sides as well just to add a little extra strength but if 150lbs is all your going to hang on the front then it looks golden.Was just thinking if your hooked and digging in with wheels catching air and front hit hard coming down on the red flag the chance of it snapping the square tubing off on the track.Sorry...I’m like my dad sometimes and can over engineer everything 😁
β€˜42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 9:28pm
MD,
No your right, if the tractor slams down hard it might break or bend something too. Its the second bounce in there that might do this design in?? Reinforcement is a good idea. Will think about that a little.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2019 at 8:59pm
Folks,
Working on the Maple evaporator rebuild I ran out of stainless welding wire. 

So moved back to the WD-Z to noodle out some rear weight brackets. I am working from steel scraps that I should, but dont throw away, so i have only my time in it so far. 

With a clean slate on the back of the tractor I can design and build as I want.  Trying to keep the brackets light, so maybe they dont have to be removed for the 3500 lb class? Decided to make new brackets vs using the set I had made for in front of the rear wheels. That way if I felt real foxy and had more weights, I could hang some in front of the rear tires too (mid tractor)!

So the design follows the same theme as the mid tractor brackets. Square 1 inch tubing. Now this may not work well if I ever get some weights with a vertical slot!
Here I have the 100 lb weight in position on the right rear bracket: The angle that is held with the clamp will get welded or bolted to the brackets, and will have the feature to bolt the weights together. Three weights can go on each side. 600 lbs total on the back of the tractor is possible. No clue as to what that will do when pulling? 

Couple things I did different than my neighbors WD puller: I made these brackets lower to the ground, and left room for the step in between with no obstructions. Should be safer getting on and off. The narrower than standard step design is done just need to do the build. Step will be at almost the same height as the factory one, so should feel comfortable.
Here is the left side bracket, yes a little thin but has gussets to improve the strength. 

To get a little more stiffness I am going to build the step to span from bracket to bracket and provide more rigidity in the brackets.

Here is my neighbors weight bar on the back of his WD puller. Pretty simple angle iron supporting 75 lb weights with slots, works good for him. Also his shortened step with non slip:

Trying to get some of this stuff done so that maybe next spring I will be more ready to go.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 23 Oct 2019 at 9:15pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 3:27pm
Folks,
 Rear weight brackets are roughed out and step is in place.

Strengthening gusset top view:

Extension on step weldment also allows a bolt to go through these green weights to secure them.

A good half a foot step, this is bolted to the weight brackets:

Think I may have got this pretty well under control for weight behind the rear axle.
I have 6 of the 100 lb weights and 165 lbs of the small weights. Will keep my eyes open for some additional weights to have approx 1000 lbs available to add. 
Or since the WD45 is at 4000 lb I can put the mid brackets on that tractor plus 500 lbs and go in the 4500 class. 
The WD-Z could go in the 3500, 3750 and 4000 lb? That's probably enough to play with for a while. 
We also have some pulls that are stock weights and no weight brackets, so the WD45 is set for that and the WD-Z could be in a 3500 class, if I take the weight brackets/step off the rear. 

Thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Oct 2019 at 3:36pm
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:02pm
Nice work!!! Those pieces look good enough to market and sellπŸ‘
β€˜42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
MD,
 Thanks! Since I got my welding hood refurbished I can actually see to weld again! Thought I was going blind! I do enjoy making something out of nothing! Marketing these, Probably not!:) 
I also modified and attached a cross bar (tube) for my small 15 lb weights to slip on. I can put 14 on the back in line with the bottom of the guide. So thats 210 lbs and very easy to add or remove. Those would be about all I need to get in the 3750 lb class. Just not too many of those around. Most competitions jump in 500 or 1000 lb classes. They dont want to pull all day!

The patina was applied by moon light, and looked great the darker it got this evening!Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2019 at 8:57pm
Folks,
 I found (online) a set of 10-28 stamped 8 bolt rims, with some very old Firestone tires on them. Not right around the corner but within a reasonable 200 mile round trip distance. Seller wants $150 apiece for the rims and tires. Not interested in the tires, they may have a little value to someone?
Was thinking these might make some lighter weight rims than the current spin out Allis rims? Would eliminate the eccentrics, bolts, deep dished center, and the rails.  Possibly widen to 14 inch for adding some new tires next year?
Any thoughts on weight savings? Maybe 20 lb less per side?? Would be another project and additional expense. 
The current 13.6-28 Firestone Field and Road on the WD-Z are in great shape and the current rims are not rusted out. So they have some value too! 
Just feel I will need to get to the 14.9-28's at some point. (I have not tried the 13.6-28 pulling) The Crop Max tires would be the tire of choice. Unless I could find good used unobtainable older Firestone Field and Roads in 14.9-28!

Maybe I should just go on a diet along with the tractor!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:35am
Folks,
 Thought about these rims and my guess is they may be 8 inch wide rims. Here is a picture:

Not sure what they are off off? pattern and center look right without putting a tape on them.
They have the right look to them! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Nov 2019 at 6:25pm
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:41am
Awesome work as always Chris!

You've got some pretty nice looking "scraps" laying around to tinker with :)

I really like the front weight quick release with the pins that you made. Pull em off and no one in the stands would ever know the difference!

The rear step to tie the weight brackets together, "factory custom" coupler bracket on the bottom... All looking great good sir!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:13pm
Strokendiesel002,
Thanks! 
One of the things that I did not look at was the addition of "sand pads" or wheelie bars. I do have a rough design but I forgot to make room for them so that will be another project. I would like to have that insurance available at some point. My new rear weight brackets are in the wrong place for the frame for the sand pads to be mounted to the tractor.:(
I ordered 4 more 16 lb weights (burn outs) to make 16 total. That will give me lots of flexibility moving weights around next year. No action on rims today have to think about those for a while.

Today added a vertical up restraint on the front weight bar, Used the hand crank as the attachment with spring hitch pin. This was a possiblie issue if the tractor came done hard and bounced the weights.

Neighbors have started harvesting corn, Tractor photo op:

New used muffler comming from Grandson Nic. He took it off his puller and added one of those 50 HP straight pipes. I am going to black it out for this old tractor. Should fit in just right with the look too!
Regards,
 Chris
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Oct 2019 at 7:37pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:36pm
Oh yeah that looks good Mr Chris ...nicely supported πŸ‘

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 7:40pm
MD, 
Thanks! I need to work on my fake patina match a little more better!:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2019 at 2:57pm
Folks,
So I got some Division II pulling information related to the wheelie bars. Got the dimensions of the pad locations, between them side to side, from the ground, out in back of the tire, and the sq. inches of pad area. Just need to see if I can work on a design that will be strong and stable.
Regards,
 Chris 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 5:47pm
Folks,
 Thanks to another Allis puller, I found the key to the sand pad design/build. The receiver for a pick up truck hitch would be the part I need to then accept some 2 inch tubing for the struts. This may still work out, if I can mount them just inside the weight brackets? Poor planning on my part, but might luck out and it could work. Will see if NAPA might have those hitch inserts too. I know I bought something like that for my daughters new F250 hitch.

Going off topic as I do a lot:
We are getting dreary, rainy, cool weather! I love it! Seems every day above the sod is a good one! I have been busy working on the Maple syrup evaporator too. Welding fabing, grinding, drilling, and fastening steel and stainless pieces. 

This stainless channel frame will support a new base stack that has been burnt out after almost 20 years of firing.

Here is the old rusted out stack base casting:

This is the revamped AOF (Air Over Fire) system to just boost the fire a little by added outside low pressurized air to make it roar a little louder and burn up all the gasses.

This portion of the arch holds the rear boiling pan which has 14 drop flues. It is the original stainless steel sides and base that I started with 20 years ago. Just added the stainless cross angles bolted on with stainless fasteners this time. 

The old saying "never time to do it right always time to do it over"? Does that apply if the time in between is 20 years??LOL

Hope things are good in orange land! 

Regards,
 Chris
Brampton 02 gt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brampton 02 gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm
I would use the old Field and Roads instead of the new tires.  They look nice and hard and won't fold. They will bite much better.  Just my 2 cents after seeing your photos.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 7:46pm
Brampton, Folks,
Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Firestone 13.6-28 tires. I may remove them again and work on the eccentrics. Also would like to expand the rim to a 14 inch width. Then put the Firestone's back on, and try them at some pulls.

I picked up the receivers at Tractor supply today and started to mock up the sand pads.

The tube is 2 inch stainless that I have from my maple project.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 28 Oct 2019 at 8:07pm
Brampton 02 gt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brampton 02 gt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:18pm
Flattening out the tires with wider rims will be good. Do you have your hitch as high and short as the rules permit
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:30pm
Brampton 02 gt, Folks,
 Most of our local antique pulls are at 22 inches back from centerline of the rear end to the point the hook touches. Then either 17 or 18 inches off the ground to the top of the "D" ring. Yes I am at those dimensions and adjust for weight and tires inflation too.

I worked on the sand pad design and build today for the WD-Z.

I have to drill the cross holes and make the 5 sq inch pads and weld them on.

The reese hitches welded all around to 1/4 inch plate support. 

One of the things about these from a safety stand point is I would like some of my kids, and or grandkids to get into pulling and I think this is a good safety item. 
These attachments tuck nicely up under the step and meet all the division II pulling  dimensions for sand pads.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:33pm
Well I had this all typed in. Fell asleep hit a bunch of keys and wiped it out!:)

Drilled the holes in the tubing:

Then cut out and welded the pads in place:

Wrapping this project up for the year I think. Have no idea where the weight is at? Maybe same now as before I lightened the snap coupler. 

I have been looking at the fender support plates. Those may be lightened a few lbs also?

Thanks for following along on the non farm related project. Just another toy for the old man.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Oct 2019 at 1:35pm
200 10and20 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200 10and20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 1:55pm
Chris good idea and design on the pads for safety! Since you have your kids and grand children around alot have you thought about adding a clutch safety switch? Very simple to add and would give you piece of mind when the kids are sitting on one of your tractors. If they can't push the clutch down they can't start it. I know we didn't have them when we were little but also our dads could whip our asses with out someone calling child and family services if we touched something we weren't suppose to. Just a thought. Good job as always.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 2:16pm
That’s a good looking setup Chris,nice job! Are the tires full of water?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 6:14pm
MD,
 Thanks! Tires are not filled. 
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 8:16am
Folks,

SNOW!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 8:36am
Folks,
 I did talk to the owner of these rims. They are from a CASE machine, maybe a combine? They have the correct center dia at 6 inches the bolt pattern matches the 8 hole 8 inch dia. They are 10 inch wide rims. All those things match up OK.
Really dont think I need the old Firestone tires. Although I am sure they are as hard as a fock and have a pretty sharp road worn edge! They would just go down the road or be saved for another project. 
The owner said he would just sell the rims for $100 each. 
He said there is no sign they had rust damage from calcium.
Did not make a move on them. (yet) 
Would like them, of course, as I think I could get a little more weight off the unit. And It would be another project too! Would widen them to 14 inches, watching the offset and tire to fender clearance. The plan would be to put the 13.6's on them with maybe new tubes. So a guy would have $200 in each tire/ rim combo when done.

Although I like the 14.9-28 Crop Max tires we have on the two other tractors! But that would be another $300 per tire. 
At that point I would have more money in the tires and rims than in the tractor! Sounds about right!Smile

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land! My tractors look like Creamsicles this morning! Darn old man winter is almost here!

Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 8:48am
Man- $200 per tire/wheel combo is pretty awesome! And you've proven time and again that you can open up a wheel to add some width should that day come, so... If they're lighter and will allow you to shuffle the weight as you want to... Dooo iiittttt!

Stay warm buddy!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:07am
Wheelie bar pads are usually 4 x 4 or 3 x 5 inches in size.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 9:29am
Any reason for those dimensions Dr?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2019 at 10:20am
Stroken, 
Yea I should do the rim thing, just have spent a bunch of the tractor / toy budget on things recently!:)

Dr., Folks,
 I am sure there are different rules on the pad size. The rules I found were from Mid west PA and listed the pad size at 5 Sq inches. Yea it seemed a littler small to me too! I didi not do much research. Currently not one pull that i go to requires these. I think they are a good idea to have on a tractor being used in this manner. Another safety thing! 
So I guess if my size is not correct I can add another 1/4 inch thick plate of a little larger size to the bottom. Wont be too big of a deal. With more options to move weights and "balance the tractor", the front could get lighter than i am used to.

My WD45 stood up pretty quick on a good track this past summer. Caught me a little off guard.

Thanks for the information. I will now go do a little research.

I'm back and this is where I may have made a mistake more checking to do! I seen one set of rules that says 5 x 5 inches, which matches what Dr said.
The rules I looked at I may have mis read at 5 in sq. and I thought it said 5 sq inches. Makes more sense at the 5 x 5 size! 

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Nov 2019 at 10:29am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:15am
Well, I read 5sq inches as 5"x5", as I also thought that a literal 5sq inch pad would be far too small to not sink right in lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 8:35am
Stroken ,
Folks,
I have to go find the picture that I used. But the more I think about it the more I agree that 5 x 5 inches square is the right size. Also to have the leading edge curled up so as not to dig in. 
5 sq inches (2 inches x 3 inch pad is 6 sq inches)
5 x 5 is 25 sq inches.
I will look for some 1/4 inch thick stock to make 5 x 5 inch pads and get them welded on.

Have this WD-Z and the wide front WD stored in friends garage for the winter.

Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic