This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 12:34pm
Thanks guys,
I have been so fortunate to have had good health with only some minor back issues throughout my life. This one is not going away on its own. Have to give surgery a try.
Pain meds are a real roller coaster ride too! Not good.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 10:21pm
Hey Chris - I've gone the back surgery route. It's been 20+ years.....still going strong! I'm enjoying the story of your WD45 as I play with mine. Tongue You do really nice work. Hope you're able to get back to it soon.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 12:36am
Dave,
 Thanks! Glad your back is doing well!
This WD45 tractor is going to the daughters place for snow plowing with a back blade, and brush hogging with the Ford 951 attachment. Weather is turning bad faster than I am getting work done! Sunday is supposed to be very winter like. We have rain with wind and temp dropping right now.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 19 Nov 2017 at 12:52am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 5:42am
AC folks,
I am still above ground and able to take in nourishment!
Repair of herniated disc in between L4 ND L5 was successful! I had/have zero sciatic leg pain since operation 11-24-17.
Pretty sore back in general around the incision.  Med have me messed up pretty good.
Had to have a full catheter to get out of the hospital. That should be removed Friday morning. First time for that and not any fun!
I have slept well, which is way better than when I had the leg pain.

AC stuff. (WD45 air cleaner clean up)
Since I can do a little bit of stuff, I drilled out the dimples holding the bottom air cleaner screen. And removed that lower screen holder. Now to pull the mesh and get it soaking in gas. I dont have a lot of strength yet, so a couple hours and I am pooped.

Went to friends house and worked on a wood project with him for a couple hours.
I can walk as much as I want so hope to get out and move a little more in the next few days. Great grandson will be arriving in a little bit, at 2 he is full of it.
Will try to get some pictures.
Regards,
 Chris

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:17am
Nice WD45 Chris.  You did good!  Thumbs UpThumbs Up
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 8:56am
Chris, you are an instigator of scintillating conversation. You ever notice how your tractor topics rack up the pages? Hope your recovery is fast and you can get back to saving the orange...
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 10:24am
Glad you hear your surgery was successful!  I hope you get healed up fast and can get back your projects pain free. 
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 6:19pm
Chris,
Glad to hear your surgery was successful. The catheter thing wierded me out though.  Ouch!  I hope you make a full recovery.  I know spine issues are tough!
Best to you,
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2017 at 7:57pm
Sugarmaker there is something you can do to make that tractor turn a lot easier. Tear it down so you can get measurements on the old brass bushings. Go to NAPA and order the later style king pin bushings for a heavy duty truck. I did keep the numbers when I did mine but we've moved since so you know how that goes. Use a high temp. high pressure grease and you'll be really surprised at how easy it steers. The bushing has a coating on the inside that is something like Mylar on a measuring tape and holds up real well. You'll probably need to borrow a bushing driver to put them in and be careful when you do it. If you have any questions PM me and I'll be glad to help you.  Leon
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:28am
Originally posted by littlemarv littlemarv wrote:

Chris, you are an instigator of scintillating conversation. You ever notice how your tractor topics rack up the pages? Hope your recovery is fast and you can get back to saving the orange...

littlemarv,
Not sure about why the pages accumulate? Probably because I don't start many new threads? Sure enjoy your detailed documentation on the AC projects!
I felt better today so I "hunted from the back deck" this morning for a couple hours. Since I am currently limited to how much I can lift I choose to not get the '06 out and be prepared for a deer to enter the "danger zone"! I did see two deer run across the field a quarter mile away. Got cold and back in the house to warm up and rest a bit. This surgery stuff kicked my butt!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

Chris,
Glad to hear your surgery was successful. The catheter thing wierded me out though.  Ouch!  I hope you make a full recovery.  I know spine issues are tough!
Best to you,
Steve

Thanks Steve,
Since I havent been on for a few days, you probably have completed another B or C restoration or bought another tractor??:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
Originally posted by LeonR2013 LeonR2013 wrote:

Sugarmaker there is something you can do to make that tractor turn a lot easier. Tear it down so you can get measurements on the old brass bushings. Go to NAPA and order the later style king pin bushings for a heavy duty truck. I did keep the numbers when I did mine but we've moved since so you know how that goes. Use a high temp. high pressure grease and you'll be really surprised at how easy it steers. The bushing has a coating on the inside that is something like Mylar on a measuring tape and holds up real well. You'll probably need to borrow a bushing driver to put them in and be careful when you do it. If you have any questions PM me and I'll be glad to help you.  Leon

Leon,
Does that apply to a narrow front end tractor? If you have any pictures to share please post. Napa has lots of parts, good suggestion to try them.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Glad you hear your surgery was successful!  I hope you get healed up fast and can get back your projects pain free. 

Dave,
 Thanks! Fired up the D17 and the Jubilee to get the batteries charged up. Hope things are good with you! Hunted whitetails from the back deck this afternoon over looking that field you were plowing in. Seen one doe taken from the wood lot behind the house. It has always been good deer funnel and better now that it was timbered off and has lots of cover. Need some pictures of that 45 after you completed the awesome engine build.
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 1:03pm
Glad to hear your back is doing good. I had a fusion on L4 & 5 in 1986, all has gone well don't regret doing it at all and the cathiter is a different deal to have that's for sure. Just don't over do it and be careful.
Tom
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Thanks Steve,
Since I havent been on for a few days, you probably have completed another B or C restoration or bought another tractor??:)
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
No completions, but I did make some progress.  My back was hurting and I thought of you, so I slowed down a tad.  Don't want surgery.  I guess we all get that way with mileage.  Wink
Take it easy.
Steve

1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Glad to hear your back is doing good. I had a fusion on L4 & 5 in 1986, all has gone well don't regret doing it at all and the cathiter is a different deal to have that's for sure. Just don't over do it and be careful.
Tom

Thanks hope your back is good now. Not sure i am over doing it or not but sicker than a dog! Stomach is not good!
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 5:14pm
Chris,
No completions, but I did make some progress.  My back was hurting and I thought of you, so I slowed down a tad.  Don't want surgery.  I guess we all get that way with mileage.  Wink
Take it easy.
Steve

[/QUOTE]

Steve,
I had a chance to pull the mesh from the 45 air box. Soaking in gas now. Bottom ring of mesh I may throw away, pretty bad. Other two make get stuffed back in and call it good enough.
Also tightened the packing nut on the leaking hydraulic cylinder. Seemed to slow down the leak after about 4 full turns.
Hope things are good in orange land.
 Yea I am taking pictures just haven't got any downloaded yet.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Dec 2017 at 9:17pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:20pm
Got up ate, feel sick again! Crap maybe I'm pregnant?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 7:43am
Wife says I am probably not pregnant, I just look like I am!:) Finally decided to get back on the one last med I am taking. That everyone says you cant drop off of easily. And feeling a little better this morning.
Off to breakfast with a deer hunting and old work buddy, (dang I sure don't miss the work thing).
Deer season here in PA now, so we will have some big tales to tell! Hunting used to be a real passion, I have passed most of it down to son and grandson. They already have harvested nice deer this season. I am hoping to be ready for muzzle loader season which comes in the day after Christmas in PA. Some small deer drives, with the trusty slingshot and iron ore pellets for ammo, and some 50 cal. action on the other ends makes for a good day. Even better if the standers have piled up a nice doe when the smoke has drifted away. We have never shot a buck in the late season. That would be neat to do too. Could be the year!
Regard,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Dec 2017 at 7:57am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:02pm
I haven't been on here for a bit now, but I'm up to reading your posts again Chris!!
Glad the surgery was a great success and you are doing better.  Yep, any surgery tears you up and wears you down.  You've gotta go SLOW!!
Changing meds is ALWAYS a pain too.  I hope you feel better tomorrow and continue to until you are up and doing cart wheels again.
REMEMBER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SLOW
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 11:05am
Ted,
 How are you liking the new garage??
Starting to understand the "SLOW DOWN" thing after surgery! I worked half day yesterday and was tired last night.
I may try to go deer hunting for a couple hours today, as its our last day of rifle season.

Folks,
Allis stuff: Yes I still owe you folks some pictures. The are not much so keep your expectations low.
The air box screens (mesh donuts) have been soaked and are fairly clean and can go back in when I get up to it.
I believe the leak in the left hydraulic ram packing has almost stopped so just tightening the nut was a simple quick fix, for that minor annoying Allis leak.
The upped air box vertical tube has a slit in it that was caused by rubbing the hood. Needs to be carefully welded up with the mig, then ground smooth. Add it to the long list that this tractor needs!:)
Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 7:46pm
Chris, sounds like you are the upper side of the bubble now.  The main thing is to keep going,,,,,,,,even if it is up hill.  It's still on the right side of the grass.

ALL my expectations are low.......you ever seen some of my work?!?!?

Just keep us up to date and some pics whenever you get a chance.  That 45 is still my favorite...SORRY Bill Long...
"Allis-Express"
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 8:16pm
Chris,
Keep at it!  I miss seeing your excellent repair work.  I hope you get back to normalcy soon.
Steve
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2017 at 11:24am
Folks,
 As noted I am feeling a littler better each day. Thanks for checking in on me!
Finished out the end of PA rifle season with a 7600 06' in my hand standing in the cold. Didn't have to drag or skin one, so it was a good day! (50 years of hunting and probably 50 deer, its time to not be quite as aggressive). Was glad to get back to the truck after a short 600 yard walk!:)
Good news: Eric (son) is going to come over and help me get the 45 buttoned up and out of the garage! Cheryl will be happy!
He is also going to help me put the back blade on the Jubilee for plowing the driveway.
I have been hunkered down just enjoying the quite of a nice winters morning in the country!
Tomorrow is or 46th wedding anniversary, so we plan to go out for a nice steak dinner this afternoon. (dang that don't seem possible. She is a wonderful women to have put up with me for that long)
Regard,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 9:39am
Folks
Brief AC update:
On the 45 I welded the 2 inch slit in the air tube. ground smooth and primered. Reinstalled the screen (mesh rings) and the holding screen at eh bottom. Installed the air box. Filled the new (used) oil cup from Sandy Lake, and then added the new air intake hose from the air box to the carb and installed new clamps.
Drained the engine oil, which was as black as your hat. Forgot to get a new filter so left the old one on which said 5-16 on it. Installed the hood. Eric fired up the tractor and we loaded it and delivered it to my daughters house. Another trip took the D17 to his place for winter storage under a lean to. Roads were slippery and snowy! Third trip with the Ford and goose neck, hauled the wide front WD to his place, to set next to the D17 till spring.
Considering giving the WD to him if he is interested? It was his great uncles. I have enough stuff now anyway. And could give me a excuse to get another project too!
Merry Christmas, a little early but I was in the mood! Guess we may get some more snow today, maybe 2 feet?? So I need to go to Kelly's and get the chains on the 45 and cover it.
Any one make a cheap heat houser from a plastic tarp??? Seems possible in my mind but haven't prototyped one yet. Like a 6 foot by 8 foot tarp with holes for the exhaust, and strapped under the belly.
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Oct 2019 at 6:58pm
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 10:33am
Glad to see and hear that you're on the mend real well Chris. 
I've been watching the weather for here in central OK to know what to plan for and on, and they've always commented on the snow in your area of the country. Lake effect snow, right? 
Merry Christmas to you as well and have a great week! 
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
 As noted I am feeling a littler better each day. Thanks for checking in on me!
Finished out the end of PA rifle season with a 7600 06' in my hand standing in the cold. Didn't have to drag or skin one, so it was a good day! (50 years of hunting and probably 50 deer, its time to not be quite as aggressive). Was glad to get back to the truck after a short 600 yard walk!:)
Good news: Eric (son) is going to come over and help me get the 45 buttoned up and out of the garage! Cheryl will be happy!
He is also going to help me put the back blade on the Jubilee for plowing the driveway.
I have been hunkered down just enjoying the quite of a nice winters morning in the country!
Tomorrow is or 46th wedding anniversary, so we plan to go out for a nice steak dinner this afternoon. (dang that don't seem possible. She is a wonderful women to have put up with me for that long)
Regard,
Chris

Congratulations Chris.  46 years.  Went by in the blink of an eye didn't it.  Life is so short, indeed.
1940 B "Lucy"
1972 314H
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 8:43am
Jim,
Yes lake effect snow is very common. From Cleveland to Buffalo along the southern shore of Lake Erie we can get heavy accumulations due to a unfrozen lake Erie. Picks up moisture and dumps it in the form of snow on us. About 6 inches of beautiful fresh powdery snow last night. So I get to clean up the drive with the Jubilee at home and then head to Kelly's to try the new WD45 with back blade too.
I worked yesterday afternoon to ge the chains on the 45 and I made a custom heat houser from a plastic tarp. The hydraulics wouldn't work till I added some oil and it warmed up a bit. Other than a small oil leak from the rear main it seems to be functioning OK. Started right up at 18 deg F.

Steve,
Really hard to believe that we are now watching our great grandson Rhett (2 yr)! Yea we are not on this old rock for long!
BTW I have my Maggie, (Golden) with her head in my lap.
Regards,
 Chris

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:15am
Get 6 x8 foot plastic tarps and fold them in half so you have 6x4. Then run a piece of pvc or other pipe along the fold at the bottom of each side(connected to frame rail front and fender bracket rear). Bungi strap the tops across the hood.
Sounds like it might work ok.
 I bought a good used heat houser at an auction years ago for cheap. It was made for a Minnie Mo Z or R? It fit my 45 just fine. All I had to do was make up a place to anchor it on the steering post.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:42am
Chris, CONGRATS on the 46!!  I'm betting you were like me way back then, looking forward to your 50th....NEVER gonna make it!!  Those years just slipped by, as Hubnut said; "in the blink of an eye".

It's amazing that a person can't find any used heat hausers around.  Especially here in WI.  I've only ever seen one at an auction and it was SO BAD,,,,,,wasn't worth the $5 the guy paid for it,,,,,,,no plastic windows, part of the frame for them was gone, canvas SO old it broke apart when you went to unfold it.  Maybe some day I'll come across one.  But for now, plastic tarps work pretty good....

Hope you are still getting better day by day!!
"Allis-Express"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 45>
  Share Topic