This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:31am
Folks,
Dave, I notice that you dont show up that often. Your fine! :) 

Thanks for the break in info. So do I need break in oil? Currently I have 10W30 oil in there, guess I could drain it?
I like the suggestions of working the tractor one gear lower and allowing it to come up to temp and then letting it work. Followed by a medium idle cool down. 

Yea Cheryl was real happy when she got home and seen the new tires too!

More WD45 assembly today. Will see if I can get the grand daughters to help with the fender install.
Got a care package from Sandy Lake yesterday. I can now put the distributor together. 

Regards
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Jul 2019 at 7:41am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:45am
I almost thought I was gonna hear it fire up. Sure is a good looker. The craftmanship shows.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:46am
chas,
Thanks!
I would be dangerous if I knew how to post videos too.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Chris, I'm glad to see that you are getting close to running your tractor and having even more fun with it. You have been very generous with all the pictures and descriptions of the work you have done plus all the info added by others. I have learned quite a bit while following your project.` Can't wait to see it running and maybe plowing. Have a great July 4. Thanks, Russell.

Russell,
Thanks, hope something in here helps or makes you laugh. I do pictures, some day maybe too much. Not sure what thats all about? Just willing to share. I dont do facebook or any of the other social media things. Folks have helped me a lot on each the projects. 
Hope your 4th of July is great too!
Off to water the garden! And maybe Allis fenders.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:24am
Folks,
 The assembly process sometimes needs a extra set of hands. Lucky for me, Marly our granddaughter, jumped right in and helped with the fasteners on the fenders, toolbox, rock shaft and lift cylinders. Sure made the job easier! Of course there are pictures!
Set up:

Marly chased the threads and never siezed the holes.

Thanks for checking on us!
Regards,
 Chris

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 10:55am
Chris - it looks GORGEOUS! Great to see the grandkids involved.

A question about the soap bubbles -  is this just air trapped between the tubes and the rims? Clap

And when do we get to hear it run?????!!? You can post a video on YouTube, then insert a link (click on the globe with the two chain links) in a post on here. 

Dave

Edited by Dave(inMA) - 02 Jul 2019 at 10:59am
WC, CA, D14, WD45
jwooters View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwooters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 1:05pm
where do you put the transmission fluid in a 160 allis
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 2:43pm
jwooters welcome to the site,but you need to start your own thread for your question so you get the most exposure to your question.This thread deals with Chris' restoration.On the farm equipment page top left corner,click on new topic box and start your thread from there.Again welcome the the forum. Thumbs Up
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by jwooters jwooters wrote:

where do you put the transmission fluid in a 160 allis

J,
 Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of folks that will be able to help you on your 160, me not so much! When you begin your thread on the Allis 160 post some pictures too. Easy to get caught in the tangled web of my old WD45 thread.:) I have heard that some folks have never escaped!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Chris - it looks GORGEOUS! Great to see the grandkids involved.

A question about the soap bubbles -  is this just air trapped between the tubes and the rims? Clap

And when do we get to hear it run?????!!? You can post a video on YouTube, then insert a link (click on the globe with the two chain links) in a post on here. 

Dave

Dave,
 Thanks! The bubbles are air between tube and rim. Thinking about it I have seen rims rotted out that still held the tire! So I guess I wont worry about it much at this time. 

Got the egg fender light working and installed. That thing had me in a head lock! Seat on and the foot rest. Several more items to work on too. Hot and very nice today! 

I have to learn about videos. I have a old flip phone. Careful what you ask for!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2019 at 7:39pm
Folks,
Tail light in place.

So I got a replacement tag for the distributor. I had never tried to replace one. Well rebuilding the hand clutch was probably easier!:)

Got the new latches and the coil wire post added.

Getting closer!
Regards,
 Chris
mhankins View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhankins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 6:52am
If you need some more practice,I would let you borrow my WD45 for a couple of weeks,if you would make it look like yours!!Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 8:45am
Mhankins
This is the fourth one I have worked on not counting the parts WD. So I have had some practice but still learning! Thanks for the positive comments! You can do this it is not a restoration it is a Refurb, clean and paint. That's it Easy Peasy!Smile

Working on the WD45 custom electrical system today. Will pick up new switch in Erie then can finish putting the dash together. I am adding the small plug to the alternator to make it a 3 wire. Have the diode soldered in the exciter wire. Getting closer. 

Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 9:53pm
Folks,
Stopped at Gary's and got location dimensions of Allis-Chalmers hood decal and picture of the WD45 decal on the side of the grill. This tractor has been in his family since new and never painted. This will help get the decals in the correct original locations.

Have a happy safe 4th!

Regards,
 Chris 
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2019 at 10:45pm
Oh my goodness, the progress has been incredible!

Also, good to see that WD-45 logo there. I think on my '53 WD, I can tell the old sticker is about in the same spot.

Fantastic puppers! Speaking of helpers, I had one last weekend when I got the old gals out of the shed.

Also glad to see you got some help from the granddaughter! I tell ya, good help is hard to find.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 7:23am
GG, Folks,
 That's what real tractors are supposed to look like! Thanks for the picture! Your dog looks like my sons. You have a nice playground there for boys, tractors and dogs! Happy 4th!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2019 at 10:19pm
Folks,
The good the bad and the ugly!
Had a good day tinkering with the WD45 today. Brought it up on TDC, set the distributor, installed the spark plugs, and wires. Added some of the major decals. You just sometimes have to get it done! They came out acceptable, always a challenge for me. Nice to slap the 45 stickers on the grill. I need a picture of correct placement for the power crater decal?

Finished up the wiring. Double triple checked found some things out of position. Completed the dash assembly.
Added gas and antifreeze. Let it set for 4 hours and when I came back I had a puddle of antifreeze on the floor, maybe a half cup. Found that the inserts used to repair the manifold bolts were and still are leaking pretty good, Two manifold holes were repaired. Both are leaking.  Not sure if this is going to improve or not??

Back of dash:

At this point I hooked up the last electrical connection, the ground on the battery. Had to fight ground issue on both headlights, but the tail light work immediately.

Volt meter showed 12 volts when switch was on.

Figured what have I got to loose. Turned on the gas. Jumped in the seat and I barely touched the starter lever and it was running. 
Oil pressure was much lower than I expected. It moved up but was not in the normal range??
Backed out of the garage under its own power, it stalled at idle but started right back up next try. Back into the garage for the night. Run time maybe a minute or two. 
 So we have some minor issues, but at this point I am Ok. Will think about it a while. 

Funny, I bought the tractor this WD45 block was in on July 4th 2013 as a non running WD. Hope I can get the bugs worked out and this pesky head leak solved!

Appreciate all the help from the folks on here to get me this far on our WD45 project.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Jul 2019 at 10:27pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:20am
Excellent work, Chris! Congratulations on the start-up. Clap 

Grounding problems on the headlights? That'll teach you to do such a nice job painting the tractor!!

Hopefully there'll be some good hints on the coolant leak and the low oil pressure. [Such as try another gauge to see if you get the same result? Assuming it's a bypass system, check center tube in the filter? Filter brand?]

Dave
WC, CA, D14, WD45
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 7:55am
     Congrats on the starting ceremony. It's always a great feeling when an engine starts that you have been working on. All the doubts about what you may have done or not done go away. Good looking job.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

Excellent work, Chris! Congratulations on the start-up. Clap 

Grounding problems on the headlights? That'll teach you to do such a nice job painting the tractor!!

Hopefully there'll be some good hints on the coolant leak and the low oil pressure. [Such as try another gauge to see if you get the same result? Assuming it's a bypass system, check center tube in the filter? Filter brand?]

Dave

Dave, Folks,
 Using a NAPA 7011 oil filter. Checked the vertical oil tube. Looks ok. Gage could be the issue. I guess the used spring I put in could be weak? More to do on that.

On the coolant leaks I talked to the machine shop and the insert he put in the head is a larger threaded insert  (not heilicoil type) He did put sealer on the threaded insert. The thought is that when the engine gets hot it may seal up the leaks. I am going to put in a tube of Lumi seal tomorrow and let the engine come up to temp. This should also help with the sealing process. I have taken the antifreeze out and filled the tractor with just water. Thi sis also recommended by the machine shop in case water was to get in the oil. Better to have just water than antifreeze which v=can ruin the bearings.

Got both ends of the gas line sealed up with a couple wraps of PFE tape. 

Adjusted the main jet in about 1/4 turn and rotated the distributor a little to smooth out the engine. 

Burnt/ hot paint smells keep you alert at this point too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Jul 2019 at 7:44am
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:56am
That looks fantastic! Has to be a great feeling hearing it run after all the work.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:21am
Folks,
 Mike,
 Yes I know you have done much of this work and it is good to see it all come together. Thanks! I have the draw bar to install and the hydraulic hoses to get from Nic. Should be able to make the July 19th local tractor show at Sagertown PA Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine Society.

Current status of the WD45:
I started it and let it run at various speeds for maybe 5-10 minutes with just water in the system. Put it away and this morning the leaks were stopped so the sealer that thew machine shop used did its job. Will put some of the lumi-seal in today and give it another run. 

Oil pressure still lower than I expected.

I did get a package from a Allis parts guy who had this and other Allis items listed on a craigslist in OH. Spare WD45 carb:

Both great grandsons were over last night and they are chomping at the bit to get that 7045 done. So I will work on that a little bit too!

Nic and his boys, Cooper and Rhett.

Thanks for checking on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Jul 2019 at 7:43am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 7:27am
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

That looks fantastic! Has to be a great feeling hearing it run after all the work.

x2! Clap
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 1:03pm
Chris, from what I've read about the oil pressure, it sometimes has to run and get the new filter completely full before it will register correctly.  Hope it works it's way back up in time.  Have you got a different gauge?  I wonder if you could put a test gauge in line someplace?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 6:44pm
Folks,
 I picked up a new NAPA 7011 oil filter. I can see why the brand is called gold. It was $25 dollars. I wasnt expecting quite that much. I filled the filter with oil. Have to go out and see if that makes any difference.
Next steps after that would be verify guage is OK. Next the spring/ assembly in the side of the block. And last would be to pull the pan and pressure test with oil to find the leak???
Hope we don't need to go there.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 8:51pm
Folks,
 OK I did two easy changes in ref to the oil pressure. Took out the spring in the side of the block and replaced with a longer spring that was on the old 45 block. It may have moved the needle up a little. Then found a old gage in the vast warehouse and slapped it on. That one read just about on the O in NORMAL. So varied the idle speeds. and ran it for maybe 30 minutes. Also wanted to get that alumi seal through the water areas. The water leak seams much less to none. Will monitor.
Took the tractor for a short ride down the road. All gears functioned, Both clutches worked as expected. Brakes need adjusted a little tighter but work. Lights were good. Temp came up to mid green range.

Had to take the idle screw out of the carb and clean off the painted threads. It was too slow at idle and would stall. Paint had the threads buggered up. Have it set up for little higher RPM's at this point. 
Steering was tight but OK, no binding or crunching.

I guess it feels like a new WD45 might have felt back 65 years ago.

This is no way a good picture but the sunset was a nice orange! I thought it was fitting for the first ride!

Regards,
 Chris

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:13pm
Well now,this is a nice surprise!! Been away Boone/Appalachians all week and get to come in and see you’ve got it all finished up!! Mr Chris that is beautiful sir and to think a few ago you had parts scattered what seemed all over NW Pennsylvania 😬
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2019 at 9:49pm
MD, Folks,
We try to keep moving on this stuff. Assembly actually went pretty well. I have way to many projects and way to few years left!:) Hope your vacation was great!
I found some other pictures that came through after I posted last.

Here is where the oil pressure is reading:

I put this longer spring in:

This is a picture of the two great grandsons and my and the WD45. Cooper is the little one and big brother Rhett.

Oh yes one more of me with the boys and another toy of mine. Cub 147r with straight pipe. Brings out the kid in you, when it's cracking!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 6:40am
Chris - those pictures with the great grandkids are a treat! Nice to know that the next generation of assistants is coming along.

Glad to hear that the ride went well and that your issues are fading!

I don't know which spring is right for the oil pump, but that reading seems okay. Others may know more....
WC, CA, D14, WD45
JK in Pa View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JK in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2019 at 8:18am
Really nice job on the “45”, Cris. Did you use a late WD or 45 oil pump in your rebuild? I rebuilt my 53 WD a few years ago with a 45 crank and cam and nos 45 sleeves and pistons. After roughly 1550 hours and Wally’s 5-30 it does L at cold idle and M at hot idle with a tested gauge. I hope your pressure problem is not serious after all the work you put into it. Good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 45>
  Share Topic