This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 1:50pm
I love all of the custom stands! Any damage to the gears in the final drives? Always was curious if those teeth ever wore down much over time from plowing and the like.

Also, did you leave the shift tower alone, or did you bore it out for a 2nd shifter pin (I remember this discussion from previous but wasn't sure how it ended up)?
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 3:39pm
gg, folks,
Ok I did find a couple chipped teeth on the outer edge of the upper gear that drives the bull gear. They were not where the bull gear meshes so I have no idea how that happened. Anyway I am going to run it as is. I really did not see any tooth wear. But I may not be a good judge either!Smile
I did drill a second hole in the shift tower and put in a pin on that side also. Seemed a lot less sloppy! Should be a positive improvement. Those shifters see a lot of action!
I did get the hand clutch cross rod installed and locked down. Installed the cover on the hand clutch with gasket. 
Working on the outdoors paint booth today. We may get a couple days next week where I can dob on some primer and maybe top coat!
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 5:37pm
Oh you did do the 2nd pin hole, nice! Have been leery of drilling that second hole in mine, lest getting it out of alignment and making it hard to shift. Did you drill it straight thru from one side to the other? Any "fitting" required afterwards?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 7:58pm
gg,
Yes drilled it straight thru. It did not drill hard.  I did not have any issues with any binding. Maybe lucky. I dont think so just enough remaining slop to allow it to function. I do have some picture in this thread. Good luck!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 8:24pm
Folks,
The WD45 castings are close to being ready for primer! Paint is always a major milestone on one of these tractors for me:

Outside paint booth has been rebuilt with some PVC for added structure:

Took the tail light apart welded up a extra hole in the top, and will put that into the E-tank for cleaning. Has nice original red glass lens.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 May 2019 at 8:28pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 6:23am
gg,
Here is the pic of the hole for the extra pin in the shift tower:

Colder here today. Happy Memorial day! We plan to get to some of the family grave sites today. I also got a picture, from my cousin Jerry, of a person I believe is my Great, Great Grandfather J. R. King.
The picture must be from 1880-1890 time frame?
Ok I was having a little fun with him too!

Regards,
 Chris
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 7:51am
Thee original ZZ Top. He would probably chuckle at the glasses too.  Smile
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:44am
Chris - glad to see your paint booth is back in business. I gather that you're removing old paint from the castings using a powered wire brush? That's a ton of work! I'll bet that getting primer and a coat or two of paint on that section of the tractor will feel like a huge step toward being done!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:18pm
Chas, Dave, Folks,
We been having fun with the old picture!
Speaking of pictures I keep snapping a few for the continuing story of the Old Allis and just day to day stuff too! Weather was perfect, and not much wind. Cleaned the rest of the Allis castings and wiped it down with grease remover. Wow was it dirty.
Figured I might as well shoot some primer:

I used the large bolts under the tractor to lift it and then I removed the support for cleaning and paint. 

I think we have turned the corner!

Throw in a couple brews and a campfire to finish out the evening too! View from my camper:

Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!

Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:45pm
WOW, that first pic of the fire,,,,,,,I thought they were BIG logs on there.  Seems it's only a pallet.  WHEW....

Did you think (or a case of CRS?) to put drains in the lower pans for the final drives??  I didn't see any.  Tooooo late now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 8:49pm
Ted, Folks
I didn't do the plugs in the bottom of the pans. I guess I never plan on changing the fluid!Smile
Regards,
 Chris
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 10:35am
Chris,

Awesome project and work! Came across your thread a few weeks ago and read a few pages at a time until I was caught up. Since catching up, I really look forward to logging in and seeing what progress you've made, and story you or the others may share :) Thank you for sharing this for all to see and good luck on the final stretch!

Jimmy
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 8:56pm
Jimmy,
Thanks! I guess its become my blog of sorts. And also some therapy for me, doing these old machines. This one had been used hard, broken, repaired, and sent to the auction! I guess it was not a diamond in the rough, just rough!Smile
How am I going to get those new rear tires back from the grandson??
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 12:54pm
Well that's an easy, yet painful answer... buy him a set :)
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 1:06pm
Jim you just confirmed his fears.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 8:28pm
Guys,
I was a afraid of that answer on the tires!
Today was prep and paint parts between the rain drops! Still in scuff the rustoleum and primer with the ureathane mode. Basic blocking and tackling. Painting is a love/ hate thing with me. 
Regards,
 Chris

MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2019 at 9:07pm
Chris ..that primer looks good and you’ve got better paint weather than what we have down here in NC ‘cause it went from warm to hotter than ...well you know,in just a matter of a couple days! I mean we literally got bamboozled on Spring,had it for a few days and then just straight into Summer we went. I love doing that first run of primer,makes me feel like all that prep work has paid off,like climbing a mountain then starting to come down the other side.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:14am
MD,
I was thinking of you and your Dad working on the cleaning process on your tractors, as I was using the needle scaler on the castings. Getting more used to using that tool too. Some of the needles came out. I just peened the heads over again and put them back in. 
I get overwelmed with the number of pieces that need touched on one of these tractors! Seems never ending. About 1/2 done with new primer. 
Stay cool down there! Weather seems to be getting a lot wetter here. But we dont have the flooding like some areas. So we can be very thankful for that.
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

MD,
I was thinking of you and your Dad working on the cleaning process on your tractors, as I was using the needle scaler on the castings. Getting more used to using that tool too. Some of the needles came out. I just peened the heads over again and put them back in. 
I get overwelmed with the number of pieces that need touched on one of these tractors! Seems never ending. About 1/2 done with new primer. 
Stay cool down there! Weather seems to be getting a lot wetter here. But we dont have the flooding like some areas. So we can be very thankful for that.
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Yessir,dad says the same thing when he’s running the needle scaler but some areas it’s perfect for.He has this roll-around stool he sits on and he just scoots all around the frame when he’s cleaning...scale/clean a bit,spit tobacco,drink a Pepsi,slow and steady is his routine 😁
And I ain’t gonna complain about our weather anymore after seeing what just happened in the upper and Midwest getting hammered with tornadoes.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:29pm
Folks,
 Prepping work has me in a head lock!
Parts to be primed:

Working on putting the throw out bearing and fork back in. 
Regards,
 Chris

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 12:54pm
Not raining up there? I've been chased in three times today.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 7:54pm
exSW,
I was rained out twice and gave up on paint work today. Tractor pull at Sagertown Saturday!

Folks,
So some questions:
I have installed the new pilot bearing in the flywheel, light press fit. Prior to that I checked and made sure it fit on the end of the drive shaft too. Installed the flywheel, it was a light press fit and pulled in easily to the end of crank with the four cap screws. Tried to find the torque for those 4 bolts, I put on a little blue lock tight and went to 60 ft lbs.
( I did see a post that said 40 ft lbs, so I may over torqued them?)

Next question: Here is the old pressure plate in front of the new one. I think the previous owner had the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing replaced recently, all of those look pretty darn good to me. The pressure plate has a couple of blue spots about the size of a pencil the surface still has some of the grinding marks and is smooth. I am inclined to reuse this old pressure plate. My plan was to use a 9 spring which is what I thought I had but when I opened the box it is the same 6 spring type. Have to sort that out tomorrow.

On the clutch plate the old clutch is .010 thicker than the new clutch and doesn't seem to have hardly any wear. Looks same as the new one! Again I think I may just use the old clutch! 

Throw out bearing: 
Called Sandy Lake and talked with Bill. He was kind enough to walk me through the inspection procedure on the throw out bearing. Push it back towards the back of the tractor and check side movement. Hardly any. Again plan is to reuse this old throw out.

Questions comments and or concerns are always welcome. Yes I have the new clutch and pressure plate setting here. I also know its a pain to change these later. But I am also frugal.Smile

On a positive note I also located my clutch plate alignment tool !I had not used it in more than 40 years. Looking forward to using that to align the clutch plate with the pilot bearing!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 May 2019 at 9:28pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2019 at 9:14pm
Chris I’m partial to being frugal too and from what I can see in those pics I’d put the old setup back in and save the new clutch (pressure plate looks sharp to me) especially if they’re were no problems with it before the tear down.Are they’re any plans to pull with this tractor?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 7:09am
MD,
Yes I am planning on a few Antique tractor pulls, if it will hold together that long!

Another different question: Were the egg tail lights black or PO on a WD45? The good used light I got has a little original black paint under the orange.

Regards,
 Chris
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 9:15am
If you can send them back that looks like the right move but if you can't return then install the new parts  keep the good but used parts for the next tractor. Look in your Allis manual it has the torque in it for the flywheel, OK I looked it up for you it's 50'lbs.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 1:37pm
I lined up my clutch by eye and she slid right in. I had both the flywheel and pressure plate ground at the local shop, so I didn't get to cheat by going into the old grooves. Don't let that tool hold you up!
Claus View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 3:23pm
Love all of your hard work, tractor is looking so nice even in the state it's in in the last photos.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2019 at 8:39pm
Orange folks,
Thanks guys! So does anyone think the 9 spring pressure plate is a better option? I believe these 9 spring units are whats used in the D17 tractors. Its about $50 more for the 9 spring unit.
We ran these old WD45s for years and pulled hard. I dont ever remember the standard clutch slipping.

Don,
 Thanks for the torque values. Guess I just did not look far enough! 

Claus,
 Thanks for the kind words. So many parts, seems so little time!:)

Regards,
 Chris

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 7:59am
Chris, later 45's had the 9-spring unit. Don't know the serial no. break. I put 9's in both of my 45's that I have been into. Did I need to? Really don't know but they don't slip! The only clutch slipping I've had was with my Grandpa's 52 WD. Suspect the hand clutch in this one.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2019 at 6:33pm
Mike,
 Thanks! I think I will get the 9 spring pressure plate. And use the old clutch plate. 

Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 45>
  Share Topic