This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD 45 next? YES!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 7:39pm
Folks,
We made small progress:
The attempt to straighten the left lift arm was a success, not perfect, still has a little bit of the story left in the shape:

The step platform from the WD45 was saved by blacksmithing it back into almost flat condition. It had lots of bends and was out of shape:

On my travels today. I stopped at another Allis collector in the area to view a WD he had for sale. Sorry I did not get a complete shot of the tractor. Story is that it sat in a barn since the 70's. He put on a new mag and got it running. The decals show that it came from a local Allis dealer. I grew up about 2 miles from that dealership and was in there with my Grandfather many times too. 
The crust was the same all over the tractor. 

D.J. Lamb was the dealership, in downtown Beaver Center PA. No post office so Springboro was the closest post office.

No I did not buy it!:) Needs rear rims and tires. Pretty typical. It sure has a patina going. Life in the barn was not very kind to it! Maybe it was moist/damp in the barn?
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2018 at 9:54pm
Come on Chis a man with a bucket loader can lift anything.Wink

Well a lot of things anyway. A little modification like adding gin poles a big timber under bucket so settling doesn't cause a hiccup and a chain fall your all set. 
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 7:02am
I'd say you got that arm pretty close. You might not need it though if you turn it into a puller!
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2018 at 4:10pm
Chris,I've seen that a lot around here. A damp shed with no ventilation is horrible. My Model 76 IH pull type sst in it's entire life and has rust pockmarks all over it. As did the 450 and R130 that sat with it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 1:52am
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Come on Chis a man with a bucket loader can lift anything.Wink

Well a lot of things anyway. A little modification like adding gin poles a big timber under bucket so settling doesn't cause a hiccup and a chain fall your all set. 

Ray,
The combine: I was mistaken on the type. (I am not up on all these)
Well it is a combine but not a Gleaner type it is a Super 100 model. My friend bought it as I him-hawed around taking pictures. (kinda like: less talk more action!) Anyway was nice to reconnect with Ted. We went for a ride yesterday morning to view the machine. The owner was waiting for us and was ready to fire it up. I checked the oil on the engine and it looked new!
Ted is going to put this machine back into service cutting seed crops. It has some issues but in general looks pretty good.
We jumped in his 2008 Ford Bullet Mustang for the trip. Well worth the price of addmision!

Back to AC (Where's Creston?) Wait, maybe I should start a thread on just the combine, Yea that's the ticket! 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Aug 2018 at 2:03am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 1:58am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

I'd say you got that arm pretty close. You might not need it though if you turn it into a puller!
Dave, 
Today's plan is for all systems to be functioning, and on the tractor.  A lot more work, time and money but makes for a usable unit to do some chores. With a basic WD45 engine refurb'  I wasn't going to be doing anything special really. Tractor would be in the 3500, 3750 or 4000 lb class with a little weight added. So I can still try it at some pulls too. (Maybe we will find another tractor for a pulling project too?)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2018 at 2:01am
Originally posted by exSW exSW wrote:

Chris,I've seen that a lot around here. A damp shed with no ventilation is horrible. My Model 76 IH pull type sst in it's entire life and has rust pockmarks all over it. As did the 450 and R130 that sat with it.

exSW,
Yep pock marks is a good description of the surface rust. That tractor is still for sale I think.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:09pm
Folks,
 Still hitting at the WD45 parts. 

Used paint stripper a couple times on the tank:

Then DA sanding and filling of some dents:

Some primer to hide stuff:

The sugarhouse is looking like a WD45 kit project!

Have several tractor pulls over the next week to keep me out of trouble. Thanks for checking on me. 

Regards,
 Chris
AlexT View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlexT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 8:31pm
I looovveee wd s my second tractor ever was a wide wd just like that
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:38am
Great work, as always.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 2:32pm
Thanks, guys! 
Anyone use that rust nutrilizer stuff? a spray on product? Also your results using POR products??
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 1:17am
Folks,
 Went to Stoneboro fair tractor pull today with the grandsons WD. The changes I made to the tractor resulted in new outcome. Straight down the track the first pull and the front end was up a foot or more when it stalled out in low gear. Never had that happen before. The new tires had good bite on that track! Next pull was about half distance and veered to the right, going out of bounds. Very strange!
Third pull about average distance, veered to the left. All three times the front was light. May need to lower the hitch a little on a tight track like this?
Also they had the wheels down on these lighter classes and the sled did not move side to  side. I wasn't the only tractor that had some issues. Needless to say I did not place in top three, but had a great day playing hooky at the fair, visiting with folks and watching tractor pulls.

When I got to the pull today: Dang that diesel pulls this gooseneck easy!

Moving to the sled, 3500 lb class:

Exhibition puller (off color) was a little hot, and got sideways in front of us:

These are Brenda (from Sandy Lake) and her husbands WC's:

Great folks!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 8:44am
Folks, 
Back to WD45's. I tend to ramble a lot! Moved the WD45 to its new home away from the garage. This should allow me to get it torn down to the castings and start the refurb work.
I have this feeling every part of this tractor should be looked at. Just not sure I am up to the task!:)

Decide to just push it around by hand. Wasn't too bad really, not as much weight now. Getting it into position to back in its new spot.

This is a old pad where a small building was before we moved here. Works good as a place to be out of the mud and has some shade for a couple hours in the morning and late evening too:

Thanks for checking on me.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Sep 2018 at 8:45am
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 9:24am
A Boy in a Man's body,,,,,,,,,,and his toys!!
Congrats Chris and HAVE FUN!!
Thanks for ALL the info!.  and the pics!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 11:39am
Ted, Folks,
 I think Ted has summarized my current sytle real well! Cheryl says I do about what ever I want, and show up for most meals!:) Pretty close!

Hot and sticky today (86F) so I am getting entries for Maple syrup and Honey ready for the Wattsburg PA fair today too. Will be pulling the D17 there Wednesday night, or maybe my friend Gary G.'s WD?  It generally does real good but we haven't taken it to many pulls this year. 

Back on the 45: 
Got the wheels off again. (I feel like a pit crew!) Have the rear tractor support in place.
I did get most of the hitch off (after this picture). Just torched the old rounded off bolts. I have a extra bail that is better than the one which is on it. (read that: Its only been welded in on place and the bail is straighter!)

Found the shims for the front spindle. I will take another look at those to see if it will steer better with more shims.

Regards,
 Chris
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Thanks, guys! 
Anyone use that rust nutrilizer stuff? a spray on product? Also your results using POR products??
Regards,
 Chris

Check out a product called ZeroRust. The hardware store on the main drag in Jefferson used to stock it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 1:18pm
exSW,
 Thanks! I will look for the Zero-rust product. Might be nice to have another tool to fight rust!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:42pm
Folks,
Pulled off the lower pans from the final drives. The WD45 side had brown oil in it. The WD side had black heavy gear oil! Hardest part was getting the caps off!

The snap coupler bell and components next in line for the Electrolysis tank.

Found that the PO had torched out a larger hole in the drawbar. I Think It will still work but I have know idea how some of this stuff happens. This old tractor has led a hard and varied life!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Sep 2018 at 6:44pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 8:03am
It's soo much easier to take of the final drive bowls with the wheels off!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 2:09am
Folks,
 Minor details keep me moving along. Some cleaning, straightening, welding and new springs for a pair of D17 type snap couplers. I think these will go on the WD with the wide front, along with the three point hitch system.

Here is that drawbar someone torched. No clue as to why?

Bull gear cover on WD side that hadn't been off in 60+ years! (I do take pictures of a lot of weird stuff!)

Grandson Nic and his WD at Waterford pulls tonight: 3500 lb, he came in 11 th out of maybe 15? (Sorry my old phone does not take great night pictures)

I pulled Gary's WD and came in 7th in same 3500 lb class. Gary and his BellWood farms WD:

Gary and Nic:

Me on the track:

About where she spun out:

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 6:53am
You might take weird picture, but I make weird comments Confused The wooden handle screwdriver taking the cover off. Just like the one my dad had when I was a kid.
Looks like you guys had a fun time at the pull. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 7:29am
Dave, Folks,
That old screwdriver is one of my Uncle Jacks. It just feels good to pick it up and is one of my go to tools!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2018 at 8:21pm
Folks,
 Lets see if we have anything new? 
Not much. 
Shot of the inside bolt that holds in the axle:
( forgot to mention that the big snap rings arent getting any easier to get out! Used the old two screwdriver method and about 20 minutes later it was out of the groove and the axle could be extracted)

Not sure the right way but I cut the seal and remove that ,then work on getting the big axle bearing off the shaft: BTW these look and feel pretty loose so I will need replacement bearings and seals.

Also for Don(MO), I talked with the machine shop and he has line honed the block, turned part or all of the crank journals  (-.020) and is working to repair the flange end of the crankshaft, it had rust damage from setting on that end ,in un-clean area for 20 years).
Dropped off a check list of items for him to review, and also dropped off the flywheel for fit up to the repaired crank. He also suggested a Speedy sleeve for covering the grooves in the front shaft of the crank. I will get that and install myself. So we may have machine work done within a couple weeks or less??

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Sep 2018 at 8:32pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:12am
Chris, speedy sleeve is a good idea. Would really suck to have a leak on a newly overhauled motor!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 10:08pm
Folks,
I worked on the right final drive:

I first cut off the seal using a dremel tool. Then use a tool to get the inner bearing race started. The rounded corned matches the radius in the casting. tapping this into the area behind the bearing race forces it out off the shaft enough to be able to then get a puller on it.

Looks like this will need turned on the seal dia .060 under and then custom seal ordered.
While working around the tractor I found that the transmission case has been damaged in the upper left corner and at the center of the case. fresh welding is apparent. More work to do to evaluate the repairs.

Also the first / reverse gear is very worn. Not sure I will change that? Also the lugs on the shifting collars are pretty worn too!

Also more welding at the top center of the transmission. YUK!

This tractor has just had a rough life!

I decided to take off the PTO shaft. Should be pretty simple! NOT! This one was growen onto the output shaft from the PTO gearbox. Took the hot wrench and several pry bars and a lot of patience! Got it!

Snap ring on the WD45 side of that final drive popped right off. During that event I found that the brake was too tight and needed adjustment. Also found that brake drum cracked half way through. 

Thanks to Don (MO) for pulling me in off the ledge today!:)

Regards,
 Chris

Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 8:14am
Chris call before you jump I'll save you. lol
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 10:27am
Folks, 
(slightly off topic as far as the WD45 is concerned) But had to brag just a tiny bit!
Fair week in our little town. This is grandson Nic Casbohm with some of the things from the tractor pulls! Not sure what these are because I never get any! Hummm? I may be done with my pulling career?:) Nic pulled in all the classes, since he did not get a chance to travel to many pulls this year. He did a nice job pulling these stock tractors. I was flagging and hooking at the sled. Pictures are in the Pulling Section! Was hot but we had a good time.

Cement pull
Nic's 1950 WD 3500 lb = 2nd place
My 1958 D17 5000 lb = did not place

Farm Stock
Nic's 1950 WD 3500 lb  = did not place (stopped short almost out of bounds)
My 1958 D17 5000 lb    = 1st place

Antique pull
My 1953 Ford Jubilee 3000 lb = 3rd place
Nic's 1950 WD 3500 lb          = 2nd place
My  1950 WD wide 4000 lb     = 4th place
My 1958 D17 5000 lb             = 1st place (about 90 feet further than others)

Track is heavy clay with lots of water added and worked.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2018 at 1:21pm
It's fun to pull and not win, but it's a whole lot more exciting to pull AND win! Looks like he's doing pretty good and tuning things in
I wouldn't know, but I can dream lol

We almost had a plow day here last weekend, but got rained out. I was ready to see how that WD45 would do with a long day of plowing, but maybe next spring.

Edited by Allis dave - 17 Sep 2018 at 1:23pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2018 at 8:02pm
Folks,
 Quality time with the WD45:

Drained fluids in front compartments and removed belt pulley. I have enough of these to make a coffee table!

Date code on right final (WD)

Pulled the outer bearing races:

Pulled small outer race (inside)

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2018 at 7:25am
Looks like it took you some time to build those pullers unless you already had them form other projects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 45>
  Share Topic