This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My D15 Series 1 Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:35am
I watched your hitch video. I don't think that would bother me. I am guessing the Draft control is probably not setup perfect but to know for sure you would have to add some weight on the hitch. Ti my eye the supports that hold the lift arms are bouncing probably have some serious play in them from age but the two upper arms doing the actual lift move smoothly.
Sponsored Links

bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:45am
I did run a pressure gauge on it and the pressure is a little bouncy but with no load you aren't making much pressure at all as its just flow until you reach end of stroke.

I appreciate the responses. I don't know anyone else with an Allis in the area to be able to hear and see another lift mechanism working and as you know with these cam driven piston pumps they are a bit noisy which I am just not used to working on modern machinery every day.

I need to go through the adjustment procedures of setting the linkage and things like that for the traction booster. I am sure it hasn't been done in 30 years.

The arms do smoothen out a bit at higher RPM. I was only running about 1100 RPM in the video. The 3 point conversion that I have on the tractor from OK tractor has a lot of play in the parts which I believe is intentional but it sort of amplifies the impression it leaves as you saw.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 7:49am
I would say get about 300 pounds on it and see how it acts with that load. I bet it smooths out alot with a actual work load the gravity down systems I have seen don't really behave well without a load.
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

I would say get about 300 pounds on it and see how it acts with that load. I bet it smooths out alot with a actual work load the gravity down systems I have seen don't really behave well without a load.

Agree with above. My series II 15 is bouncy without a load. Much smoother with a load. That hydraulic pump in those tractors is pretty crude compared to newer style pumps.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:16am
Thanks guys. That really helps me a lot. Like I said it was that way when we got it years ago but I figured since I was tearing stuff apart now would be the time to repair it if needed.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
cottonpatch View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cottonpatch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 9:34am
Originally posted by bigredisb bigredisb wrote:

Thanks guys. That really helps me a lot. Like I said it was that way when we got it years ago but I figured since I was tearing stuff apart now would be the time to repair it if needed.

I can appreciate what you're doing. I have gone through my D15 front to rear and top to bottom. I am going to split it this fall for a leak at the PTO lever seal and rework the power director as these are the last two items to address. I don't even want to post how much money I have in it.
'52 CA, '61 D10 II, ‘61 D15, '66 D15II, '63 D17D III, ‘69 170, '73 185 Crop Hustler, '79 185, '79 7000, '77 7040
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by cottonpatch cottonpatch wrote:

Originally posted by bigredisb bigredisb wrote:

I can appreciate what you're doing. I have gone through my D15 front to rear and top to bottom. I am going to split it this fall for a leak at the PTO lever seal and rework the power director as these are the last two items to address. I don't even want to post how much money I have in it.

I will just say yours might not be the most expensive one out there. Mine has had the shuttle clutch rebuilt the motor rebuilt the loader towers rebuild for a price that I could have bought an entire tractor. It has a 100 percent new custom hydraulic system and now I need to rebuilt the hydraulic cylinders because they leak by too much to use. I don't know what else I have done but these old tractors need alot of love if they are to run right again.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 3:54pm
One thing that I think about a lot is if we will ever see today's tractors still running in 50 years. While we all have a passion for these tractors at least we know that they are solid foundations to put some work in to. Today's society is such a throw away one that to me none of this modern equipment is built to the level that these old tractors were.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 5:06pm
Tractors from the 90s are hard to keep running newer then that are about hopeless.   Once you get the electronic circuit boards in them they don't want you to fix them so the boards are expensive or just not out there. When I bought my ih 5240 someone told me I was lucky that was the last generation of case ih you could actually fix. He had one in the next generation beyond that and had to send it back because it was about 4 years old and was already have a very hard time keeping the circuit boards working.
New ones are disposable.   It pains me to say that because I worked as a controls engineer for years building electronics in industrial equipment but that stuff has a 20 year lifespan and the market is just based on the concept that in 10 years it is obsolete and no one would want to fix it anyway they will replace it.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 11:01am
So I think I am going to get that slat plow. Says all the coulters are free and in good shape and all the slats are on the plow. Said he would take 250 which is a little high BUT I don't have to drive far at all to get it which is worth something to me.

That being said how hard is it to find wheel weights for my 26 inch spinouts? I would love to find AC ones but are there any other brand weights that are interchangeable?

Edited by bigredisb - 02 Sep 2016 at 11:15am
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 12:03pm
I don't think $250 is bad. I'd say average. I can't tell from the picture if it has a gauge wheel or now. When you see it you can see if the slats, shin, and landslides are very wore. as long as their not completely thin and gone, you won't wear it out on 10 acres a year.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 2:07pm
I think I would post a wanted on the classified section but I think those wheel weights are hard to come by and the ac weights for a d15 didn't add that much weight.   I ended up loading the tires on my d15 with a loader. Rim Gard and one tube was about $600 I think right in that ball park it was expensive but with the loader i had to have the weight.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 5:18pm
Well I picked up that plow this weekend. One bottom has a couple of welds on the slats and two of the ends cracked off which I can fix but I negatiated the price down a bit more on it. He had it setup as a 2 bottom which I am going to try it that way first but the 3rd bottom had the big landslide on it so I put the 3rd in the second place and the second in the first place so I can repair the first bottom.
I had one bolt that was bent and rusted in that took me over 2 hours to get out but it's swapped and I also got all the adjustment hardware all freed up.

I already started stripping it to get it panted. If anytime knows the model number of this plow I would be thankful for a leed on it.

Also got all my lights and wiring done. Ended up putting a JW Speaker led work light on the back and got my new headlights on and working.

1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 5:38pm
Start out with the left lift link an inch longer than the right lift link. I'd also guess you need to spin out your rear wheels a notch or two so the front bottom will take a full cut. Same for the front axle.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:24pm
If tractor has set without use for some time, arms will act like the video. Personally, I see nothing wrong with the way they operate and agree you should cycle them with the plow weight on repeatedly. Do they stay up with the plows on? I picked up a D15IISC years ago and just had to work the arms enough with a 5' A-C cutter and it acted better as time passed with nominal use. I would not mess with the settings at all, until you have put some use on the lift arms by working it as you will likely find it is set right where it needs to be. The lift on that unit is hell for stout and quite bullet proof.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:54pm
It looks great in that photo with the plow sitting outside.   I think you are going to really like it.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:55pm
Yeah I think the lift is fine. It has tons of power and 0 drift at all. With the engine speed up its fairly smooth lifting the plow assembly.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2016 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

It looks great in that photo with the plow sitting outside.   I think you are going to really like it.

Thanks! Yeah it's very different to see a slat plow in this area. I pulled the coulters off tonight and need to put some tlc into them.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 7:37am
You know... Some guys just buy a garden tiller, or change their own oil, or mow their lawn...

That looks great, glad you got the plow. That looks like a model 63 plow. Meaning a 60 series 3 bottom. but I goes now it's a 62 plow. LOL

The 63 refers to the plow frame series and number of bottoms. The actual plow bottom has it's own model, but that's harder to figure out. There's a plow article in the knowledge base section if you want to read up some day.

You can also change a couple bolts around and switch those between a 14" or 16" width. Pretty cool, I don't know have any other plow manufactures that you could do that to their plows.

I have one just like it only without the slat bottoms.

**edit
Just did a little plow reading. I lied a 60 series plow did not have an adjustable frame for 14" and 16". Only the 70 and 80 frames were adjustable

Edited by Allis dave - 09 Sep 2016 at 9:22am
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:13am
Thanks Dave for the info. I had been looking through everything I could find online and didn't see an exact match to this to fully identify it.

One question I do have is should the lower plow mount bolt be a shear bolt? I am assuming it should be as they look like they should swing and pivot when one sheers so I need to find a few 3/4 inch ones I believe.

As far as setup I have always been blocking or jacking up the left hand side of the tractor up as much as the target depth of your furrow (so like 8 to 10 inches) then set the plow on the ground and level it left to right and front to back. Jacking it up simulates being in the furrow so you are close when you hit the field.

So because I am a total rookie when it comes to plowing with a Allis and traction booster it should be interesting getting that dialed in how I need it. I understand the concept and I have used it pulling heavy loads on my backblade before but just never really used it for what it was truly designed for.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 8:28am
There is a 70 series plow that has a sheer bolt. I don't think that's a sheer bolt if it's 3/4" That's too big. It'd be more like 7/16 or 1/2.

You're on the right track to setup the plow. I usually try to plow about 8" It's a litter better to drove up on a block then to jack up the tractor. You're loosing your tire squish. You're going to be close though. You'll always have to do some adjusting once you get going.

More important, you need to do like Doc says and get your wheel tread set correctly. That will change between a 2 and 3 bottom. When standing behind the plow, you need to set your right tires line up with the right edge of the plow share. If your tires are too wide, you won't be cutting all the dirt and you'll be more tearing it and trying to plow like 18" wide instead of 14". If your tread is too narrow you'll be cutting like 12", not a full cut.
It will be trickier to set the 2 bottom. You might have to slide the whole plow right on the lift bar to bet it correct. Ideally, you want half of your plow cutting on each side of you hitch for correct draft. That's not always possible on a 2 bottom because it's so narrow.

Sorry for being so windy. Grandpa likes to teach me about plowing.

Edited by Allis dave - 09 Sep 2016 at 9:23am
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 9:52am
All great points. Thanks!

I have played around with my wheel settings on my Super A and plow that I use on it and learned a few lessons on that tractor as well. I'll try to get my wheels setup soon. Work is getting in the way so it might be next week before I can play around with it.

1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 3:23pm
The shear bolt indeed was 3/4" Grade #2 (soft). The top bolt was Grade #5 and the bottom pivoted on it.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2016 at 3:49pm
Thanks Doc. I will track some down. The only reason I was thinking it was supposed to shear is I had a old one point JD ripper I used and it had a 3/4 shear that I went through a few on.
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 9:29am
Did a little reading on plows and realized I lied up above. only 70 and 80 plows had the 14" to 16" adjustable frames. 60 plows were fixed. My plow is a 70 and it looks like your's is too. oops

Thanks Doc, I could never figure out how the 70 shear bolt was. It'd take one heck of a rock to shear a 3/4 grade 2 bolt. I have the setup on my 45 that throws out the hand clutch if it hit's a rock.
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

Did a little reading on plows and realized I lied up above. only 70 and 80 plows had the 14" to 16" adjustable frames. 60 plows were fixed. My plow is a 70 and it looks like your's is too. oops

Thanks Doc, I could never figure out how the 70 shear bolt was. It'd take one heck of a rock to shear a 3/4 grade 2 bolt. I have the setup on my 45 that throws out the hand clutch if it hit's a rock.

Look at it this way, while I was looking through the parts catalogs I couldn't figure out the second digit until you posted that advice before.
Its all good as long as we are learning something.

I'll take some pics tonight but I ended up modifying my coulters "stop collars" if you will. some had a collar above the coulter arm and others didn't and all three were held on the shafts by a bent over 3/8 bolt on the bottom. A buddy of mine cut some 1.25 inch id and 2 inch od rings. We welded the rings on the upper side of the arms to keep them from riding up too much and I used another ring to float on the bottom above a roll pin where the bolt was. I want to get it dialed in then I will weld a small stop on to keep the coulters from swinging around as the limiters were missing from two of my coulters.

Edited by bigredisb - 09 Sep 2016 at 2:37pm
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 2:58pm
I don't like leaving incorrect information out there because of me. Don't want people searching later to read and start repeating it as gospel.

Sounds like a good fix. Mine were all froze up when I got the plow. Had to use some heat and oil to get them freed up. Bet you can't wait to try it out!
I had to tell my wife about your neighbors commenting about some people just change their oil or mow the lawn. She says the same thing about me! Funny stuff

Edited by Allis dave - 09 Sep 2016 at 2:58pm
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2016 at 8:07pm
That's funny Dave. Yeah most of us that flock to these sites with a passion for machines that require a lot of TLC are a lot a like.

Here is some pics of my change to my coulters. They aren't super tight but 100 times better than it was:

Yeah plow day is here tomorrow and it's going to be a bit swampy. I didn't arrange to use a bigger trailer so if I took her I would have to road her about 25 miles each way.

Edited by bigredisb - 09 Sep 2016 at 8:43pm
1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
bigredisb View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigredisb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 4:00pm
Well it's been at least 20 years since I used a spray gun and painted. I made a ghetto booth and a good friend of mine just gave me a refrigerated air dryer so I had some decent air to use.
It's just Valspar AC orange which I know isn't a perfect match but this is going to sit outside most likely.

Also found some good photos of D15 in her prime. Damn she looked good!

1961 Allis-Chalmers D15
1949 Farmall Super A
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 8:36pm
You have done a awesome job on that plow! Did you say there was a plow day? And did you turn some dirt over?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic