This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

B restoration (24 January 16) Purists Beware!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 6:08am
Originally posted by Hubnut Hubnut wrote:

I've got an unusual paint scheme planned for this little B, that I've named, "Haney." 
Did you name it after Mr. Haney, a local farmer, salesman and con man from Hooterville who was a character on the 1960s TV series Green Acres? Clap
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sponsored Links

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I've got an unusual paint scheme planned for this little B, that I've named, "Haney." 
Did you name it after Mr. Haney, a local farmer, salesman and con man from Hooterville who was a character on the 1960s TV series Green Acres? Clap

Yes.  Mr. Haney.  I can still hear his voice.  I guess you can tell I'm not very creative.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 5:22pm
Got the torque tube installed.  Starting to look like a tractor again!

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 7:26pm
Something wrong with this picture!:) No tools junk or dirt on the floor! Nice work on that torque tube! It looks great!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Acmichael View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acmichael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Something wrong with this picture!:) No tools junk or dirt on the floor! Nice work on that torque tube! It looks great!
Regards,
 Chris

I agree Chris I spend most of my time hunting for where I just layed something down can clean and straigjnten up and in 30 min it's back the same way lol
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2015 at 8:56pm

Regards,
 Chris

Dang Chris, I get more comments on my clean shop than the tractor!
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 5:03am
Well, Hubnut, you asked for it. Anyone with a shop that clean and organized just can't be right in the head. Oops, that makes you just like us huh.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 5:42am
Originally posted by Bob D. (La) Bob D. (La) wrote:

Well, Hubnut, you asked for it. Anyone with a shop that clean and organized just can't be right in the head. Oops, that makes you just like us huh.

BobD,  I guess you're right--it's nice to fit in somewhere--even with a bunch a nuts!
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:19am

Regards,
 Chris

Before I open a hubnut post I grab a pair of dirty pitted sun glasses. It is a buffer to the clean shock. Wink

Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:39am
Wish you were closer. My place is a real mess but I have a pile of slick TTs without deep rust pits going to the scrap yard as soon at the price of old iron goes up.
I would have been very happy to make a trade. Your pitted TT with broke off bolts for a much better one.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Ken in Texas Ken in Texas wrote:

Wish you were closer. My place is a real mess but I have a pile of slick TTs without deep rust pits going to the scrap yard as soon at the price of old iron goes up.
I would have been very happy to make a trade. Your pitted TT with broke off bolts for a much better one.

Kenny,
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times--I wish you were closer to my AO! 
Steve
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 8:25am
Those pits are part of the tractor's character and history. Bob@allisdowneast
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not sure.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 9:00am
Steve,
 The tractor looks great!
My brain says I would like to have a shop that looks like that. My hands don't seem to go along with it:)
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:03pm
Check this out.  This is the drive pin for the oil pump!  Pretty worn huh!  Looks like it was going to snap soon!  I never thought about looking at that pin until DickL mentioned it in a recent post.  I replaced it with a 3/16 spring pin.  I will have to make the slot a little bigger in the oil pump.  Whew.  I'm glad I looked at that pin!

Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Bob-Maine Bob-Maine wrote:

Those pits are part of the tractor's character and history. Bob@allisdowneast

I couldn't agree more Bob!  The tractor earned those pits!
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2015 at 6:06pm

Steve,
 The tractor looks great!
My brain says I would like to have a shop that looks like that. My hands don't seem to go along with it:)
Regards,
 Chris

Chris,
It's actually worse than most know.  If I can't find a tool, I won't do anything else UNTIL the tool is found!  I'm nuts for sure.
Steve
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 1:39pm
Heck, tools are easy to find!!  It's always the last place you look and the last place you left it!  Wink LOL LOL
Lookin GOOD!
"Allis-Express"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2015 at 1:41pm

I guess you're right--it's nice to fit in somewhere--even with a bunch a nuts!
We're not nuts... We're just misplace misfits! Big smile Clap
"Allis-Express"
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 6:12pm
Did some work on Haney.  Got the engine sleeves and pistons installed and I rebuilt the head.  First time for valve guides and lapping.  Went okay.  The hardest part of the weekend was trying to get the adjustable front disassembled.  Man that was HARD!  I had to weld some stock to each side and use a bottle jack to separate them.  It was a struggle the ENTIRE length of the insert!  Took me 6 frustrating hours to get them separated and then cut and grind all the welds off.  Whew!  What a day!  This is one of those tasks that I do not like.

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 7:16pm
Nice meats on the tractor (tires)!  Good work and a neat shop, hard to beat!!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 7:44pm
I'm thinking that I need to move ALL of my wide fronts and hope none of them are locked up yet!  Should get them all apart and put some never seize on those parts of mine too!
"Allis-Express"
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 10:03pm
The problem with the B wide front is that the joint is at the top and gets rain into it so it rusts fast. On the CA they inverted the joint so its at the bottom. That makes it much easier to take apart. I never did get my B axle separated. I took the bolts out 10 years ago and I run it like that. Thought maybe it would loosen, No such luck.
Your doing a great job on that tractor. LOL Bob
4 B's, 1 C's,3 CA's, 2 G's WD, D14, D15, B-1, B10, B12, 712S,
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 6:38am
Keep posting your progress as it is very interesting seeing what a first class job you are doing !!        Mark
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Chalmersbob Chalmersbob wrote:

The problem with the B wide front is that the joint is at the top and gets rain into it so it rusts fast. On the CA they inverted the joint so its at the bottom. That makes it much easier to take apart. I never did get my B axle separated. I took the bolts out 10 years ago and I run it like that. Thought maybe it would loosen, No such luck.
Your doing a great job on that tractor. LOL Bob

That makes sense!  Well, at least AC figured it out eventually.  Thanks to everyone for the comments.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 5:08pm
Steve,
You got that front end apart! I might have tried heating the side oppisite the slot with a torch and hoped it opened. Probably would have still needed the jack. These just get growed together from the rust. I used a sledge on one and ended up damaging the spindle housing.
The block and head are looking real good!
Regards,
 Chris
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 4:56pm
Got a little more done.  Cleaned up the distributor and repaired some metal parts and painted them.  I'm stuck waiting on a clutch part to get Haney back together.  It's getting close.

Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:17pm
My hat is off to you for getting that wide front end apart I would have probably decided I liked it just where it was set to avoid breaking it. I was just wondering if now that you have it apart you could flip it over like the comment about the CA wide front end. Just thinking it would be the time if it is somewhat easy to do but I have never seen either one in person so I don't know.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Dan73 Dan73 wrote:

My hat is off to you for getting that wide front end apart I would have probably decided I liked it just where it was set to avoid breaking it. I was just wondering if now that you have it apart you could flip it over like the comment about the CA wide front end. Just thinking it would be the time if it is somewhat easy to do but I have never seen either one in person so I don't know.

No, I plan to put it back together as original.  However, I plan to slather anti-seize all over the bar.  More importantly, this tractor will be a garage queen and, hopefully, never get wet.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:46pm
Clutch part is on the way. PM being sent with tracking number.
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 5:48pm
Your plan should work. If you keep it dry it won't rust.   My d17 lives outside most of the time but my d15 seems to always find her way km to the barn when it rains. Only left that out once before I realized that even a new one of those padded seats still gets wet and makes you feel like you peed your pants... that seat will probably go a long ways to protecting the entire tractor from the sun and rain....

I forgot to say great work. I love to see how nice these can be done makes me feel guilty about not making mine look as nice...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic