This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis WD NFE (Was Dads)
    Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:10am
Allis folks,
This WD NFE tractor was purchased by my father in about 1950 or 1951. I think I may have the bill of sale around here for it. It had cultivators which are long gone. He had a John Deere model B for a short time prior to trading for this Allis.

I remember driving this tractor as a kid. Several things stick out in my mind about it. It rarely had a exhaust pipe, and was pretty snorty. I was given the task of dicsing with it, and Dad said don't every put your arm through the steering wheel. I did not have to go far till the old girl snapped the steering wheel out of my hands and the front tires were 90 degrees to the tractor in a instant! Also this tractor always got blower duty on the silo filler. I think it liked it! Dad used this tractor with a crude home made sprayer for the corn and oats.
Dad sold this NFE WD to his brother Jack about the time Dad got the Ford 5000. Early 70's.
Here are some shots as I purchased the tractor in the fall of 2012, and as it currently rests. Hoping I get the ambition to finish it this year.

It is about as rough as they come but was still being used when parked in about 2008.

Not a pretty site but was under cover.

Rear tires were good. Rims need repairs.

Marvel carb and replacement manifold.

fenders are toast

A quick farmers tune up, fresh gas, and a charger on the 6 volt, Started up and seems to run pretty good! Moved out of its tracks for first time in years.

Loaded and headed for home (yea that's me).

After several power washings. This tractor had a mag, my uncle converted it to a distributor.

Fenders and fender plates removed for safety:)

basking in the sun.

Did not have oil pressure, found that the vertical tube in the oil filter was missing.

I wanted to get this road worthy to take to local tractor pull. The front end needed work to repair the worn vertical key way. The WD gets to come in the garage!

New bearings and seals for the front spindles.

Seat shock was shot. ordered good used parts.

Added short stainless exhaust stack, and did a new parts tune up.

Front end gets put back together and this work corrected the shimmy.

Off to the pulls. (Grandson Mike had fun)

Throw out bronze ring broke in the hand clutch, luckily it was in the engaged position so we could use the foot clutch.

tucked in the garage I began taking it apart, cleaning and repairing items. Other projects have sidelined this work and I hope to get back at it this spring. Tractor is stripped to the castings. Final drives are out and new bearings and seals are waiting.

Grill is not good, I found a good used one to replace it.

Tank is in good shape, has been cleaned and in primer.

Dash will need some TLC as tractor will be converted to 12 volt system.

This hood ended up on the WFE WD I just completed. Not sure how that happened.:)
It needed lots of work. exhaust hole was wallowed out and the bolt holes were torched.

Pulled the inner races on the final drive bearings.

Bolts at top of final drive were rusted away and will be replaced.

This is about how it sets, (1-10-15) with a lot of clutter around it. Stiil a lot of work to do. I need to get back at this project! The goal would be to have it ready for the Mid July show.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:25am
thumbs up for saving family history!
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 8:30am
That WD ought to look pretty good when you get her done. Its hard to get started back on project if you've been away from it for awhile, it is for me anyway, I've got one I haven't touched in close to 3 years. Keep posting pics as you go and good luck.
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
macvette View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macvette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:20pm
Appreciate the pix.  (yours looks as good as mine does now BEFORE you started) Bought an aged 1952 WD narrow front a year or so ago as I couldn't afford a WD 45 anywhere around WI.  We had an RC as our only tractor on the farm where I grew up, but I had enough of the hand brakes in my growing up years to last me the rest of my life!  LOL.

Edited by macvette - 10 Jan 2015 at 5:22pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 5:33pm
Geeze Chris, you gotta be careful working around machinery!!  Something ate the bottoms off your blue jeans!
Looks pretty good overall.  I've seen worse (I have one LOL).  Git er done!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 6:05pm
Thanks for the support folks!
I am going to get into this one as the weather warms a little. From a percent completion its about 35%. Having done my first Allis this past year, hoping this goes a little quicker?
One of the areas that bugs me is the leak issues at just about every joint and orifice!

Ted,
Those are Erie County PA high waters! We get three days warm enough you can wear them:)!

I never ran a WC with the hand brakes, but cant imagine that was any fun at all!

I am starting to tally the cost on the previous WD work, I know I really should not do that, but would like to get a idea of the depth of the pockets needed to bring one of these back from the brink.

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 6:54pm
Chris  Good for you saving a family tractor!!!  WD's are one of my favorites I have S/N 76000   (51)    Looks like you are doing a great job, keep us posted on your progress.  Mark
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by B26240 B26240 wrote:

Chris  Good for you saving a family tractor!!!  WD's are one of my favorites I have S/N 76000   (51)    Looks like you are doing a great job, keep us posted on your progress.  Mark

Mark,
Thats a cool serial number on your WD and easy to remember. Do you have a wide, narrow or single front end?

Still learning a lot about these WD's.They are starting to grow on me!  I have to round up the serial numbers on these tractors. Hummm, maybe I did post them on here some where? There is a listing somewhere right? Maybe on the home page?

I really did try to work on some of the same parts this summer and fall when I was doing the other WD. So I do have a little bit of a jump on things. This time last year the rear rims were not even started. They are complete now with tires re-mounted and ready for the wheels to be installed.
Trying to decide if the engine should come out for a good look at all the seals and to see how it looks? That would be the right thing to do, not that I always do the right thing in life:) Then I could do the pan gasket work and the front cover gasket as Don(MO) suggests.
Would be a great reason for me to get a HF engine stand. and get my engine hoist base back from my grandson. Yea that's a plan!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 9:12pm
Since the fenders were gone I picked these up last summer. They needed a lot of work. I think they may be from a IB tractor they have a wider front lip than other std fenders. They are not so different that they will look strange. So for $6.50 each and a lot of work these are the ones that will go on this WD.

lots of dings, dents, rust out and rips in the edges.

Some MIG welding of patches on the fenders, Most of the edge patches came from Dads left donor fender. I even cut out the holes for the taillight and moved them to the new fender.

These have been smoothed out more and are in primer.

Also picked up this rad shell that may have been from a WC?? Was rusty and bent in the upper front, but better than the shell on Dads tractor. Still has the original screen.

This radiator shell is in primer ready for final filling and sanding work too.

Hood: Built the buck to hold it while finishing.

Added the 1/2 x 1/2 angle iron support under the hood for strength.

filling and sanding

Hood is fairly flat and straight and in primer. Waiting for the weather to get warm to finish these.

Rim repair

Centers are cleaned and painted.

Need to clean up the eccentrics and brackets,
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Jan 2015 at 9:20pm
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 9:44pm
sugar maker,you will cherish and appreciate that tractor more than any you own.i have the wd-45 I drove home from the allis dealer in 1956 when I was a junior in high school.got it when dad got killed on the farm about 9 years ago.never left the farms since brought new.....
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2015 at 10:11pm
Thanks for saving another Allis Chalmers WD tractor.  Especially your father's.  I know these family tractors have a very special meaning. 
I always wanted the first Flat Top WC my father sold.  I did know where it was located but - much to my regret - did not follow up on it.  I still kick myself to this day.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
tim 52160 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim 52160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 4:49am
Just out of curiousity why did they cut that one fender down like that? didnt make any sense to me. Was there a purpose to it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 7:19am
Originally posted by j.w.freck j.w.freck wrote:

sugar maker,you will cherish and appreciate that tractor more than any you own.i have the wd-45 I drove home from the allis dealer in 1956 when I was a junior in high school.got it when dad got killed on the farm about 9 years ago.never left the farms since brought new.....

JW,
 In 56 I was 4 years old:) So sorry to hear about your father. Glad you have that tractor! I am looking forward to having this family WD restored someday.
I remember hanging out at the local Allis dealer about 2 miles from us. My dad may have bought this WD from there too??
We had a 1956 WD45 WFE with power steering on the farm and it was a good running tractor.
Regards,
Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Bill Long Bill Long wrote:

Thanks for saving another Allis Chalmers WD tractor.  Especially your father's.  I know these family tractors have a very special meaning. 
I always wanted the first Flat Top WC my father sold.  I did know where it was located but - much to my regret - did not follow up on it.  I still kick myself to this day.
Good Luck!
Bill Long

Bill,
Man that would be nice if you could find that WC flat top. ( I need to brush up on my WC's as I wouldn't know a flat top if it fell on me:))
Thanks! I wasn't to interested in this family tractor about 6 years ago. It just needed so much work. My uncle gave me a price on it and I did not bite, thought it was a little steep. When I finally did by it from his wife, I paid almost what he was asking anyway and now am very pleased that it is setting in the garage.
I was offered both of the WD45s that my Dad had also. that was 15 years ago. It was part of a family feud at that time and I really did not have the time or funds or need for them. Now I realize its not need its "want" :) Wonder if they still exist? Hummm???:)
Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jan 2015 at 11:51am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 7:34am
Originally posted by tim 52160 tim 52160 wrote:

Just out of curiousity why did they cut that one fender down like that? didnt make any sense to me. Was there a purpose to it?

Tim,
Confused about your statement could you clarify? Which picture?
I have a lot going on in the pictures.  Any of the pieces I cut out were from a junk donor fender that was in the scrap pile. There are some WC fenders, paint not as shiny, in the pictures also, that set were restored and mounted on the WD WFE I just completed.
Hope that helps? If not keep asking, I love to chat:)

If it is this picture?, the notch at the front bottom is factory stamping. I saw a pair of these on a IB tractor last year. When I bought them at a local swap meet, I did not realize that they had the wider front leading edge compared to a WC or WD fender.

Maybe someone on here has the reason for the two style fenders? Bill Long?
If this is not what your referring too let us know!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Jan 2015 at 7:44am
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 9:43am
I think he means the one that is rusted clear off.
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 12:43pm
I saw a new manifold for sale on Omaha ne craigs list if yer lookin
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by SHAMELESS SHAMELESS wrote:

I saw a new manifold for sale on Omaha ne craigs list if yer lookin

Shameless,
I think I am good right now. Thanks!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by JayIN JayIN wrote:

I think he means the one that is rusted clear off.

Ok if thats the picture, then yep mother nature rusted out that fender to the point it was just the support structure remaining.:)
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2015 at 3:38pm
Folks,
 Ted got me moving a little today.
I wire brushed and primed the 8 brackets from the wheel to the rim.  Also the eccentric pins and the little blocks that ride on the eccentrics.
When those get some color I should be able to assemble the wheels and rims and move those out of the garage for some much needed room around the WD.
Pulled out most of the sheet metal and blew the dust off those. Also cleaned up a little around the WD. I can almost see it again.Smile
Thanks again Ted J.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Jan 2015 at 3:42pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 7:36am
You're welcome Chris!  Big smile  Sometimes in the dead of winter, we all need a little shove as we tend to get a little lazy.  Especially at our age. LOL  or is that a Cry ?
I hate winter only because I can't get things done that I want to!
Makes the old lady.....OOPS, the little lady, happy though.  I installed a new garbage disposal and a new bathroom faucet and terlet (Archie Bunker) for her.  Now I wanna get going on my tractors! and the pole barn!
Have a great new year and congrats!  I can't wait to see the finished pic!
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 5:46pm
Folks,
Just a brief update as we move slowly forward;

I think there is a WD tractor in here somewhere? I have never been known for keeping a immaculate shop and it sure shows hereEmbarrassed

After a good wire brushing, some fresh Persian Orange has been applied on the 8 brackets for the wheels to mount to the rims. These will be taken apart and never seize will be applied to the moving pins before assembly.

Rim stops for the rails. These will get some never seize on the threads and shank also.

Cam contact for the eccentric to rail

Dusty tires, 13.9-28's and rims ready for the wheels.

Outside of the stove bolt type rim bolts (Persian Orange) using the Krylon 1820 rattle cans at this point for small items. A little pricy but very convenient. Going to use the old hardware nuts, some are a quite pitted as you can see. Just have to draw the line somewhere from a cost standpoint I think. I can't do this like Steve @B&BApprove

Inside head of rim bolts are cream color (Rustoleum Antique White) to match the rim color.

It was a year ago when I took these rear tires and rusty rims off Dad's WD. Twas a project getting them unmounted, rims sandblasted, cutting the rims apart and welding in repairs and painting, new tubes installed and tires remounted. Glad I did not have to get new rubber also, that was expensive enough:) I did not do the unmounted and remount work. I had local tire shop do that. Was easier for me and they never scratched the paint.
 I do know that when I got these tire assemblies done and assembled on Jacks WD tractor, it was a major milestone in the restoration process! They are just big bulky, needed major repairs and have a lot of components to get them back together. Really glad I brought these along through at the same time I did the other two!
By the way these are not filled tires. If I was going to fill them it would be the new beet juice product after they are in place on the tractor.
With some luck I may be able to get these rear wheel/rim assemblies together and moved outside under a tarp soon. Providing some much needed work space around the tractor for some next moves.
Hope things are good in tractor land! Thanks for following my ramlbin'.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Jan 2015 at 11:58am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 12:05pm
Folks,
Ok, I didn't like the looks of those old crusty 5/8 nuts either, so stopped at my favorite NAPA and got 16 new ones this morning. Found the snap "c" clips for the eccentric pins and have those assembled and ready. Will try to get some shots as the wheels come together.
Regards,
Chris 
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:49pm
What does (NEF) mean? I have never heard that before.
I am working on a WD-45 right now(: it is our first restoration project.  
MN FARM BOY
Luke
www.silsethfamilyfarm.com
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:50pm
Chris, did you get the 'C' clips at NAPA?  I need some new ones for my WD45.
I get bolts and nuts at Farm & Fleet.  They sell them by the pound there.  A LOT cheaper!  Grade 2, 5 and 8.
"Allis-Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by LSilseth LSilseth wrote:

What does (NEF) mean? I have never heard that before.
I am working on a WD-45 right now(: it is our first restoration project.  

LSileth,
Sorry brain was in neutralEmbarrassed, I meant NFE (Narrow Front End).
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Chris, did you get the 'C' clips at NAPA?  I need some new ones for my WD45.
I get bolts and nuts at Farm & Fleet.  They sell them by the pound there.  A LOT cheaper!  Grade 2, 5 and 8.

Ted,
I did not ask NAPA if they had the clips. I had found some fairly good used ones. The last clips I got were from Sandy Lake and they were a little pricey I thought. The NAPA store is so convenient that I cant hardly afford to drive anywhere else. But I do like buying hardware by the pound at Tractor Supply too.

Regards,
 Chris
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:15pm
Oh ok I see(: I had not seen that one either.
MN FARM BOY
Luke
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:16pm
MN FARM BOY
Luke
LSilseth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LSilseth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:23pm
Cool pics. Ours is down to the cast iron too, but we don't have the back wheels off.    

PS: Sorry for the blank post Ermm I am still learning this forum.Confused
MN FARM BOY
Luke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic