This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 starter issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 starter issues
    Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:41am
Hi,

I'm posting this for my dad.

He is trying to rebuild the starter or get a reman/new one for his late 40's HD5.

He has it all apart, but if I'm quoting him properly, he said the bendix is in a metal tube, and he can't get those apart.

I read someplace that a M42 starter can be substituted for the original.  Besides rotating the face plate, is there any adjustment necessary for the pitch/length of the starter gear meshing with the flywheel, or do they line up and no adjustment needed?

If anybody could point us in the direction of a starter (oem or m42) or a rebuild kit, or how to get the bendix gear (which is worn) out of that tube, it would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 12:25pm
jkline View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 3:24pm
thanks!
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 11:23pm
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 4:34am
FWIW

My auto electrician of long standing (50 + years) considers an M 40 as probably the best starter series Delco made and the M 42 series in line for the worst.

Mind you when I was looking for a new starter to replace the original Dyer drive one in our AC Forty Five grader I found that he had a rebuilt M 42 that had been commissioned and never paid for and available cheap.

Seeing as the grader does not many hours a year I grabbed it.

Edited by Ian Beale - 30 Mar 2023 at 4:49am
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 12:49pm
The late style Delco starter works great - I have installed 3 or 4 on HD5 machines as well as repaired the starters on other Detroit engines . 
 External solonoid replaces the rod that runs to the starter switch on stock starter , so a start button is needed to be put into wiring system , I put in a ignition switch for that purpose . 
 At the same time i installed a 10SI alternator to replace the generator , and a low oil pressure switch and light on dash to be sure the key was not left on to drain battery.
  Parts are hard to find for the old starters and last time i went to find a replacement I traded old core for a new unit with the solonoid . Be sure to run a ground wire from lug on starter to machine frame to get proper ground . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
jkline View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 10:57pm
thanks, fellas!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 3:02pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:33pm
Coke

I get "Page not found" on that
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 4:44pm
TSJ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2023 at 11:54am
hello all I am looking for a starter for an old HD 5 Delco Remy # 1109114  954 any help would be much appreciated mine has a bad armature and fields Thanks Terry

trailapples View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 10:52am
At CK and Others, Just got new 42MT starter for my HD5  which is 24V with positive ground in parallel hookup. My concern is getting the correct wiring hookup for the starter seliniod and also what starter button or key unit for correct amps? Your assistance would be greatly appeciated.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 11:08am
The starter doesn't care what polarity is as it is set that the field windings and brushes control the rotation . The starter on late style has a external grounding lug and a solonoid to pull in drive as well as energies unit . 
A 2-71 doesn't need a 24 V starter as plenty of power in a 12 V starter to spin the engine . 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 11:38am
Thank You CK.  From trailapples. I stayed with 24V when purcased starter. Just being cautious. Should nt the switch be heavier to handle 24V?
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:46am
Originally posted by trailapples trailapples wrote:

... Should nt the switch be heavier to handle 24V?

No.
The current draw (Amperage) of your 24 Volt starter will be roughly 1/2 of what a 12 Volt starter would draw while cranking the same engine; this means that you could actually 'get away with' using lighter switches and cables.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trailapples Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:56am
Much appreciated.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 8:26am
Jim... something like this... You can get a push button starter or key switch for the ignition.. It only has to be good for a few amps... The SOLENOID is what carries all the current... i took a GENERIC drawing and crossed off the coil / alternator part... what you need is the starter / solenoid / button portion..

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 8:31am
most of these little guys are good for 15 amps or so.... thats probably 4 times what you need....more is better..

make sure you use a 24 v solenoid and not a 12 v.... could burn up the magnetic coil..

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Apr 2023 at 8:34am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 12:12pm
Problem comes when charging batteries as output is 12 volt on generator or alternator , which means you need to isolate the batteries from charging system and starter system using some type of switch / solonoid to keep 12/24 volt separated . 
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Problem comes when charging batteries as output is 12 volt on generator or alternator , which means you need to isolate the batteries from charging system and starter system using some type of switch / solonoid to keep 12/24 volt separated . 

Oops! I didn't notice that this is a 12 Volt charging system on a 24 Volt starter; yes, this needs a 12/24 volt series/parallel switch.
Tracks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:14am
I Am also looking for a hd5 starter. Mine is 12 tooth. I see where m42 and 39 mt will fit but am having trouble finding the correct drive gear as there are different sized 12 tooth. This one measures about 2.25 inches o.d.any help greatly appreciated
Tracks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 12:16pm
I'm looking for a starter for my hd5 crawler. Mine is 12 tooth about 2.25 inch diameter pinion. Plenty of 12 tooth ones available but no luck finding the bigger pinion. I think they exist but without a part# pretty difficult. Many that I find don't list the pinion diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Tracks Tracks wrote:

I'm looking for a starter for my hd5 crawler. Mine is 12 tooth about 2.25 inch diameter pinion. Plenty of 12 tooth ones available but no luck finding the bigger pinion. I think they exist but without a part# pretty difficult. Many that I find don't list the pinion diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you have the 2-71 Detroit then the 39MT should work.
Tracks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 1:12pm
Yes, I have one that is 12 tooth but pinion too small. They come in many configurations. Trying to find proper diameter
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Tracks Tracks wrote:

Yes, I have one that is 12 tooth but pinion too small. They come in many configurations. Trying to find proper diameter

I dunno. All I can say is this one referenced in my post above fit our HD5G 2-71 Detroit and works fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic