This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New 275/60 20 tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 275/60 20 tires
    Posted: 24 May 2024 at 5:44am
Had a set put on yesterday. Heard what sounded like an explosion coming from the shop. Saw a guy mounting a tire. Loud bang with a little fire. Realized it was one of my tires!! Manager said that's how we get those wide tires to seat. WTH??? Sounds kinda crazy to me but what do I know?

Edited by ACinSC - 24 May 2024 at 11:24am
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 6:47am
Did they spray starting fluid inside the tire, and light a match to it?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 6:47am
Definitely not OSHA approved method. It will work but you had better know what you are doing. Too much starting fluid would produce disastrous results. I have heard of it being done on skid steer tires but not truck tires.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 7:07am
Can't remember what the manager said they used, maybe brake cleaner? Yeah I'm sure OSHA would frown on that. Thanks
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 7:37am
There is definitely an art to it, but I'll admit to using the starting fluid method more and more these days.  I quickly tire of trying to seat wide tires that have been bound or stacked in a way that the beads come no where near the rims.  ATV tires, car and truck tires.  You name it.  I usually start out with too little starting fluid on the first attempt and have to add a little more and try again until it seats.  

TDF

Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:52am
Starter fluid should be  50% either or stronger.  
Less than 50% does not have enough power.  It will just burn.
John Deere sells 90% either.  It works well.
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:18am
I didn't know they still did stuff like that, one time my local shop shook the partition wall in the office area with a loud bang from the back shop!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 11:23am
Yeah Darwin , these bangs were very loud ! Thanks
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 12:15pm
Always preferred a Air Bottle bead setter, safer and OSHA approved!!

Similar, have to be certain Largest Valve available for faster 'Hit'

Edited by DMiller - 24 May 2024 at 12:17pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 1:59pm
When I bought new tires for my 715B backhoe  18.4 x 24 I could not get to seat , took them back to shop where I got them to air up after i got them on rims and had tried . 
 Had to use a come along around tire to get bead close on both sides - then 3 air bottles (Chaeta's) along with air  hose on valve to get to seat . 
 one guy in shop suggested using either , owner said I see anyone ever doing that here, their fires !
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Acguywill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acguywill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:17pm
I have used the cutting torch before. Light the torch to a good burn, snuff it out, hold in the tire for a bit, then pull it out and relight it. Aim the flame into the tire and boom. Gets your heart going everytime. Usually seats the bead too.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 8:45pm
one guy in shop suggested using either , owner said I see anyone ever doing that here, their fired !

that would be MY VOTE !! 

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 May 2024 at 8:45pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 10:32pm
We had to use that method many times until we got our bead blasters. A customer of ours decided to buy a set of drive tires for his combine. He got 1 off and put the new tire on the rim but he couldn't get the tire to seat the bead. He wound up spraying a whole can of either in the tire, tossed a match in and promptly blew the tire off the rim. He had 3rd degree burned on his face. He came in and ask for help on a Saturday morning. I sent Ben, my big guy out. He was back in less than 2 hours. A good bead blasters put the first tire on. Hydraulic bead breakers broke the other tire down and with the 10 gallon bead blaster he had the second tire mounted in no time. The farmer still has a burn scar on his face.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 5:51am
Thanks for all the comments guys. I've never heard or seen this before
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic