This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD hydraulic lever moves up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin LA-CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD hydraulic lever moves up
    Posted: 22 May 2024 at 9:56pm
The hydraulic lever on my new WD floats up to the 1/2 position. Naturally the lift arms move up as a result. I recall dr Allis said to make sure the spring to the traction booster control linkage was in place. I put the spring in, but no help.

This tractor has a early after market 3 pt, and no drawbar. I wonder if the traction booster linage is wonky.

Bought a new friction block for quadrant and backing spring is ok, but not sure if that will work.

What else should I look for?
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:47am
all of the ones I had/have or been around float no matter what you do to them other than hold on with one hand! Thats why I quit using mine for anything other than standard drawbar non hyd. pulling use. 
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 8:52am
Of the three I have that I use, (Grandpa's WD is kind of parked in), WD Micha is the only one that does that. It has a broken tension spring at the quadrant. Have new parts, keep thinking I'm going to get the power steering put on and fix it then. Never seem to get time to start on that! Both 45's hold wherever I set them, handy for plowing!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 9:20am
Worn friction blocks, broken tension spring (usual suspect) or a broken quadrant itself.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2024 at 2:30pm
Sometimes helps to oil spring at quadrant. They tend to wrap not slip and pull lever.
ac-mike View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac-mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 7:47am
Make sure the lever has a 90 degree bend. I ran into one that was off a little and did not have the proper tension on the friction block. Guess it got hooked onto something. Also, friction block worn, but most likely a broken tension spring will allow lever to drift.
D-12III, 200D, 170G, HD-3, D19D 3pt, D17D High Crop, WD45G p/s, D15IID, D15IIG, D15G IND, 655, (3)WD45D p/s, 700, 816
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2024 at 9:58am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Sometimes helps to oil spring at quadrant. They tend to wrap not slip and pull lever.

That very thing happened with the throttle on my 756. Was a real head-scratcher! Think a little chain lube corrected that. That poor tractor sat outside for a long time and everything that moved needed lube!

The bent lever idea is an interesting angle. Could have snagged on something while driving by and got bent that way. Worth looking into.
kevin LA-CA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin LA-CA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2024 at 11:03pm
Dr. Allis nailed it. Broken spring. Also replaced friction block.

I call it West Allis. Out here 3 miles from Oxnard - Brennis site.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic