This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tired of bought furniture

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tired of bought furniture
    Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 5:59pm
Had a UGLY TV entertainment center, awkward and looming in the living room, always a mess for cords and wiring so first up dumped Satellite and entered the ROKU TV system, it is OK but as once bought and if do not buy movies is free.  But the big looming box finally got to me, may be passé as to a built in that will be obsoleted in near future but I still like the look when done.

These were first steps to this.  I am not professing to be a Cabinet Maker by any means either!!

All three sections have a magnet catch retained back wall where all the wiring runs and outlet plugs feed, at the far right is a Square hole for access to the outlet for other things as a Vacuum Cleaner.
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 6:28pm
Great job! That looks much better than a store bought piece of junk and it has REAL WOOD in it. I like that. I am not as talented as you at wood working but I have made a few pieces that served the purpose much better than anything you can buy in a store. And I love old furniture that is made of real wood also. 
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:06pm
Looks Great !!!  Now for that NEW 80 inch TV !!!! Big smile
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 7:11pm
Very nice !!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:14pm
From dozers to furniture....you can do it all!
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Looks neat and handy!
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 8:43pm
Looks real good!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 1:53am
great job! i had been babying some cedar trees for over 20 years on an edge of one of my fields, was gonna become some furniture...stockholders had them bull dozed out so the big green farmers wouldn't hafta make a 5 ft sway out into the field. they broke them all up so pretty much unusable. got them back by blasting a 75 foot cottonwood out across the bean field! (no chain saw marks). Mr.Miller...that hanging cabinet would sure hold some nice 1/16th scale orange tractors! 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 6:30am
I am not all that great at building stuff, just have a keen eye for what I want to see built.  I did drill and pin all the boards and the face frames in place, have a great dewalt 10" sliding miter saw for square cuts otherwise would look a mess!!

Most likely the More Affordable 58" TV (LOL) as the wife is a bit short sighted!!  might if go on sale buy her a 65" but not gonna be any 80" on that platform!!
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 12:53pm
Sure looks good, great job.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 10:16pm
Handshake  Great job!  Looks very nice.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 9:21am
Great job! 

I remember our first entertainment center was two milk crates and a board across the top when we first got married.  It worked great for that 19" set.  LOL
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:12pm
Can you imagine newll wed teenagers doing that today, most of them have to have as good or better than they had with Mom and Dad
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 3:50pm
Yep thrifty and save are not in their vocabulary. Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Reindeer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reindeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 7:12pm
I referred to our newlywed furniture as being "late college modern". Mostly plywood and cinder blocks. Except when I made our beds out of packing crates. Fortunately my wife sewed well and could transform rough lumber into "furniture".

Edited by Reindeer - 27 Aug 2020 at 7:14pm

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 11:08pm
But with all of the money you saved building it yourself, you should get the 80". Tell your wife that it is a 65. Chances are, she'll never measure it.

Great looking project today and for all the tomorrows to follow.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:51am
Originally posted by chaskaduo chaskaduo wrote:

Yep thrifty and save are not in their vocabulary. Wink

Now ain't That the truth!!  I hear from so many 'Youth' they "Have to Have what they grew up with" or "Have no money to enjoy life" yet are hammering away on a $600 Ipad or some form of NEW Iphone they upgrade to each year living on UI or Min Wage, want it all must have it all, drive a expensive car for repairs that is getting old(Mommy and Daddy Bought) where cannot afford repairs or a replacement(IE The magic Rock and Hard Place) and NO INTENT on learning to fix what they own or making something with their own hands,
Robert0s View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert0s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:22pm
You have a talent! I couldn't have done it myself
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:27pm

What Models of Allis Equipment do you own Robert O ?

G
PlugDepth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlugDepth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 12:12pm
You're doing very well. I think you could sell your work to a local store or to other people. Not all things from the store can be of good quality. My friend bought a sofa in a local store and two years later, it changed in appearance and it was no longer so comfortable to sit on it. I was afraid that I could buy furniture of poor quality too. I started searching online for stores with good quality and inexpensive prices. Also, one of my friends sent me a website https://www.abakusdirect.co.uk/sofas/by-type/corner-sofas.html where he bought a sofa of good quality.

Edited by PlugDepth - 04 Aug 2021 at 6:34am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 1:46pm
There must be a LOT of guys from England that are in LOCKDOWN and dont have much else to do these days !!!  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:53am
Speaking to an old friend that moved to UK several decades ago, found he cannot even change a light fixture in his home there or a door knob or striker as those are Skilled Craft required jobs with some requiring permits to perform.  Very Sad as stated can buy Hand Tools but nothing Powered by electric including a drill or gasoline besides a mower.
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 7:43am
DMiller, that’s awesome! Love the real wood aroma during wood project builds. Your magnet idea has me intrigued. That must allow for easy access of cords. Got any info (size,weight capacity, sources)about the magnets? Thanks
ihc pickups View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihc pickups Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 8:39am
Awesome workmanship. How is the KW project coming?
Mike
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

DMiller, that’s awesome! Love the real wood aroma during wood project builds. Your magnet idea has me intrigued. That must allow for easy access of cords. Got any info (size,weight capacity, sources)about the magnets? Thanks

Standard cabinet door style from Lowes
Magnet with two steel contacts on the frame and a 1”x1/2” plate on the door
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2021 at 11:08am
Well done D, very 60's looking, proof positive that a Craftsman such as yourself can work in just about any medium, just by putting your mind to it. I think the real trick these days is finding dry wood that is straight and will stay that way. BTW you kinda told on yourself when you said "pin" and not "dowel"Big smile
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 4:43am
Originally posted by ihc pickups ihc pickups wrote:

Awesome workmanship. How is the KW project coming?

Just added photos on that post.  Close to a month and should be starting that engine.  Weekends only are killing me as to time on it.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Aug 2021 at 4:45am
Ryanlark View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanlark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2021 at 2:53am
It looks very cool, especially for those who like minimalism. It's cool that you can do the furniture yourself. No need to go somewhere and spend extra money for the service. By the way, here`s similar furniture, only that`s more suitable for the garden, www.gardenfurniture.co.uk some mates advised this store. They have a very similar laconic design as your looming box and shelves. And some elements may well fit into the living room, especially if you still like minimalism more than pretentiousness and piling up unnecessary decorative elements.

Edited by Ryanlark - 09 Aug 2021 at 4:21am
Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 9:57am
This is how it starts! First an entertainment center, next a couple of end tables, and all of a sudden you are making more stuff for other people than yourself. The nice thing is the woodworking will give me a business when I retire in a few months.
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 10:59am
I agree on the store bought stuff. Tired of paying a bunch of money for cheap built crap. Just need to set myself up a woodshop.....
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic