This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Horseradish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horseradish
    Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 10:58am
Made some yesterday --- anybody else make it or even like it?
got 6 half pints from the 2 plants in pic. good hot stuff this year too -----makes ya dance if you put too much on your  food! lol!!

http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Sponsored Links

weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:11pm
Dad loved it,  I like it,  but a little goes a long way.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
I love it. Only one in this house though
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:22pm
My dad gum stomach won't stand it.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
I like it, but I'm the only one here so dont pay to grow it. I've made sauerkraut the last 2 years and only kept 2 pints for myself because I'm the only one that eats it.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:36pm
I do like it as well, but the others near me the next day don't! lol
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 1:57pm

Back when I was gettin paid to work, the Company sent me to Great Falls, Montana for an extended 4 week Turn-a-round on a small refinery they had just bought. The refinery Manager liked to sip a few after work so he took us to a coulee bar down south that specialized in Koalachees (I think),,,anyway they were BIG german sausages in an even bigger bun of some kind of heavy bread,,,, When they brought the sammiches,,they all reached for a BIG bottle of ,,,,,,you guessed it ,,,Horseradish,,!!  They all was waitin for ole Joe to follow suit,,,so,,I piled it on like they did,,,,WHOA,,,!!,WHOA,,,SON OF A BUCK!!! I thought them jalapenos back home was hot but this Chit was just a little bit less than gunpowder,,,They said I was chokin so bad they threw 2-3 glasses of beer in my face trying to get me to come to,,,, I throwed the friggin sammich under the table and ordered a quart of Ice Cream. Never have wanted to try any more,,,,,,LOLLOL
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:27pm
Joe, did you work for Holly Frontier at one time?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 2:30pm
I like horseradish, good on a bratwurst.
A little goes a long way, only way you can get me to eat a hot dog, is with horseradish.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 3:49pm

Yeah,  Lars. Back then it was Holley Corp and I was Assistant Maintenance Superintendent of the Refinery Division in Artesia and the Lovington plants. Holley Corp bought Montana Refining in Black Eagle, Montana. I would get sent up there to help during their shutdowns.
 I never will forget one time, we had finished an exceptionally difficult shutdown because of bad weather and I was flying home,,when just about over Billings, Montana, the plane took a sharp left turn and did an unscheduled landing and everybody was in a tizzy. I had decided to sit in the farthest back seat with a couple of stewardess,,,,Wink when the pilot and a black suited fellar are coming down the isle asking everybody some thing and everybody shaking their heads "NO", When they get to us they ask me,,"Are You Joe R*****?" I say yes but WTH? He says,,"We've been instructed to get you OFF the Aircraft" He would not elaborate and told me to go to main ticket office and they would fill me in. I was worried that something had happened back home but ,,Why get me off the plane??? When I get to the office there is a number for me to call and is the number of the plant in Black Eagle,,,,??? I finally get thru and is the secretary and she tells me they have made arrangements for me to fly BACK to the plant as the main Crude Unit has just shut down and they have cleared with Artesia to keep me there 3 more weeks,,,,WTH,,,,WTH,,,do I gots any say so,,? NOPE, I went back and it snowed 6" that nite,,,spent a lot of time steaming out frozen lines before we could even start work,,,,,Crazy, huh?LOLLOL
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 4:32pm
I like a grilled cheese sandwich with Horseradish spread on it. Cole slaw and Potato Salad is better with Horse Radish added. Yes I like Horseradish!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:00pm
How about your favorite horseradish recipe?
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm
Yes,I would like to have the recipe for horseradish and the sauerkraut.TIA

Edited by sparky - 15 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 5:40pm
I remember crying like a baby when I was 7 or 8 grinding that stuff.  Helluva lot worse than slicing onions.  I've ate it all my life.  Liked it before I liked onions.  I never watched him but my Dad said you need to put a little cream in the grind before bottling it.  Not sure how much.  My favorite is with liver.   A little dab on each piece.  It does make a good coleslaw a whole lot better.  With catsup for dipping cold shrimp.  On a ham or roast beef sammich.  I guess on about any meat.  Did I say I like it?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:02pm
No Pit beef sammich is complete without it!  And not that sh!t that comes in the little mayo packets!  I want a good heaping tablespoon on it, with just a little mayo spread on the bun! Its just right, when it feels like someone lit yer nose hairs afire!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:17pm
Used to buy horseradish mustard,  but haven`t seen it in a long time.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:28pm
Ok, Joe, just wondering, I used to load diesel at the refinery rack there in Artesia when I drove for Sun Coast Resources. 163 miles one way from downtown Midland, to the refinery. Then hopefully not too long of a line.
If you ever noticed a straight truck with a pup trailer loading there, that was me.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:33pm
3 1/2 tablespoonful salt to 5lbs. schredded cabbage. Quarter the cabbage head and cut the hearts out of the cabbage quarters, schred the cabbage put it in a crock or a plastic bucket and pack it to remove as much air as possible and seal container. Ferment for 3-4 weeks @ room tempeture. Just like making corn silage!!!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:54pm
AC fleet, your “FRESH” horseradish will be hot! It’s great over meat. My favorite is an excellent cooked steak or Prime Rib Delmonico. Yum!
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 5:56am
Originally posted by sparky sparky wrote:

Yes,I would like to have the recipe for horseradish and the sauerkraut.TIA

3 1/2 tablespoonful salt to 5lbs. schredded cabbage. Quarter the cabbage head and cut the hearts out of the cabbage quarters, schred the cabbage put it in a crock or a plastic bucket and pack it to remove as much air as possible and seal container. Ferment for 3-4 weeks @ room tempeture. Just like making corn silage!!!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by AC7060IL AC7060IL wrote:

AC fleet, your “FRESH” horseradish will be hot! It’s great over meat. My favorite is an excellent cooked steak or Prime Rib Delmonico. Yum!

The only reason God invented prime rib was as a carrier for the horseradish!

Back in the early 80's, I did some consulting work in river bottoms of East St. Louis. Was told then that 1/4th horseradish in the world was grown there. Very labor intensive......40 acres was a lot.

We used to grow and process it, but found it far easier to buy a jar. Got to experiment to find one you like. My preference is for the ones with the pungent flavor, but not the heat. They are out there.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:29am
I just put a lot of it( Horseradish Mayo) into my 3 day chili......
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 10:38am
in food processor add:
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar to start with. add more later if needed to your taste.
1/2 teaspoon salt
run thru 1 time, scrape down the sides, taste,--add more of whatever you think is needed and go again. scrape sides down again and taste. if it seams right to your taste, go another round til fine grind and then store in glass jars---we dont recommend plastic containers.---Oh,--- and it might make your food processor bowel look hazy on the sides after you get done!
We store it in the fridge and it's still good 6 months later, neighbor just made some and froze his 1/4 pint jars. We never did so dont know how well that works.
Also we dont add water, some guys do. -- if it's a bit dry, add more vinegar! makes it richer that way and the vinegar really brings out the flavor!

On the kraut, we do it about like nella does. -- we set our kraut cutter board for a fine cut and that ferments better. you have to set the cut to your needs/preference for coarse or fine.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 1:55pm
Traveling down Hi 94 in WI one comes down a long hill into Eau Claire WI- on the right side of the highway is Silver Springs Horseradish Ranch fields . One the largest producers of the product in the US . They sell many varieties of the product and add in lines of mustards and specialty sauces using horseradish base materials 
https://www.silverspringfoods.com/
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Made some yesterday --- anybody else make it or even like it?
got 6 half pints from the 2 plants in pic. good hot stuff this year too -----makes ya dance if you put too much on your  food! lol!!

I like it....like most of the responses on here, I am the only one in my castle ('course, these days there are only two in the castle) that does. But, what you made here would be a lifetime supply for me!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Back when I was gettin paid to work, the Company sent me to Great Falls, Montana for an extended 4 week Turn-a-round on a small refinery they had just bought. The refinery Manager liked to sip a few after work so he took us to a coulee bar down south that specialized in Koalachees (I think),,,anyway they were BIG german sausages in an even bigger bun of some kind of heavy bread,,,, When they brought the sammiches,,they all reached for a BIG bottle of ,,,,,,you guessed it ,,,Horseradish,,!!  They all was waitin for ole Joe to follow suit,,,so,,I piled it on like they did,,,,WHOA,,,!!,WHOA,,,SON OF A BUCK!!! I thought them jalapenos back home was hot but this Chit was just a little bit less than gunpowder,,,They said I was chokin so bad they threw 2-3 glasses of beer in my face trying to get me to come to,,,, I throwed the friggin sammich under the table and ordered a quart of Ice Cream. Never have wanted to try any more,,,,,,LOLLOL
Joe, some day before we both die, I need to sit down some evening and recycle some beers with you! My sides were hurting and my eyes watering  from laughing reading this story!

Edited by LouSWPA - 16 Nov 2020 at 2:46pm
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Yeah,  Lars. Back then it was Holley Corp and I was Assistant Maintenance Superintendent of the Refinery Division in Artesia and the Lovington plants. Holley Corp bought Montana Refining in Black Eagle, Montana. I would get sent up there to help during their shutdowns.
 I never will forget one time, we had finished an exceptionally difficult shutdown because of bad weather and I was flying home,,when just about over Billings, Montana, the plane took a sharp left turn and did an unscheduled landing and everybody was in a tizzy. I had decided to sit in the farthest back seat with a couple of stewardess,,,,Wink when the pilot and a black suited fellar are coming down the isle asking everybody some thing and everybody shaking their heads "NO", When they get to us they ask me,,"Are You Joe R*****?" I say yes but WTH? He says,,"We've been instructed to get you OFF the Aircraft" He would not elaborate and told me to go to main ticket office and they would fill me in. I was worried that something had happened back home but ,,Why get me off the plane??? When I get to the office there is a number for me to call and is the number of the plant in Black Eagle,,,,??? I finally get thru and is the secretary and she tells me they have made arrangements for me to fly BACK to the plant as the main Crude Unit has just shut down and they have cleared with Artesia to keep me there 3 more weeks,,,,WTH,,,,WTH,,,do I gots any say so,,? NOPE, I went back and it snowed 6" that nite,,,spent a lot of time steaming out frozen lines before we could even start work,,,,,Crazy, huh?LOLLOL

Geez, Joe, what kinda juice did the boss have with the airlines to accomplish that?
Wait for the Lord;
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:02pm
My dad found a patch of horseradish along the hayfield on some land he rented. Don't know how it got there because as for back anybody could remember there was no house or garden on that site.

My mom would grind it up, add a little white vinegar, good to go. Odd thing about this "variety" it made your eyes water grinding it, had plenty of flavor, but no real heat to it.

After my dad lost the land to another renter he harvested it a few more years then it was plowed under.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm

Yeah,,Lou,,I often wondered how the refinery managed that little trick,,,!!  It sure was SCARY tho,,when the Black suited dude stood in front of me and told me "We've been instructed to get you off the aircraft here" CHIT,,I figured he was with the FBI or CIA and I had done f***** big time,,,,,,, somewhere,,,,,As I walked down the isle,,,all the men were glaring at me cause I was the reason their flight had been interrupted,,,,the womens were just staring,,,,, You can dream up a ton of Chit when something like that happens,,,,quite a day it was,,,,LOL
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 12:41am
shoulda held your wrists together behind your back when walking out! that would have got alot of lips flapping! what does the horseradish look like above ground? the leaves? i don't eat much of it cept what comes in the red cocktail sauce. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic