This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

P/U Tire Inflation ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: P/U Tire Inflation ?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:34pm
I run LT tires on a F250 SD and keep the PSI at 60. The sidewalls state one psi, the sticker in the door well says a different psi. What do you guys adhere to as far as "who's right" ??
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:07pm
I follow what is stamped on the tire.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
I run what the tire says. Lower pressure gives a better ride but wont carry the weight.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

I run what the tire says. Lower pressure gives a better ride but wont carry the weight.

Fully agree to that, Tire manufacturer has the final say as to Tire Load at what Pressures.

My 99 SD has 285/75 16s (E) on it, they are set to 75# and stay there.  Low pressure when loaded increases drag and in turn adds heat from flexing.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 8:19pm
I think what is on the tire is the MAX pressure and MAX weight load.... If you are running empty, you may be a little STIFF riding.. Thats why some drop the pressure  10 #.... Suggested pressure on the door may be for a nice ride, average load..... also depends on the tire manufacturer.. could be a different rating for similar size tires.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:03pm
After selling, installing, running on tires for 22+ years, go with the max inflation on the tire sidewall for the best fuel milage, best performance of the tire. UNLESS the new agressive tires are very squirrely driving on the hard surfaced road. Then you need to reduce the air pressure. Why? You are actually riding on the center 3 or 4" of tread. Lowering the air pressure will allow the tire to run in the full tread face, reducing tire squirming.
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:42pm
If I am not pulling a trailer I run 65psi in all four tires. When I am pulling a trailer I will run 80psi in the rear tires assuming the tires are 10 ply. And that’s in my Fords
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:45am
Didnt Ford Motor and Firestone have problems when Ford lowered
the pressure that was put on the tire.

J Carlson
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:13am
No point in running max air pressure if you are not loaded.
I have a 2500Hd with load range E. I have 45 in the front and 50 in the rear unloaded.
Rides better and easier on the tires. Loaded I kick up the pressure depending on what I'm doing.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:33am
I do exactly as fixer and RED... Go to MAX pressure and you will get center tread tire wear if you are not FULLY loaded.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 11:07am
the pressures listed on the door sticker are correct for the tires listed on the door if your putting load range E tires on and the door sticker calls for load range C tires and you pump them up to 80 PSI because the tire says so you are reducing your traction by a very large amount.  you should always be running the tire pressure that matches the rated capacity with the load your carrying.  this will give you the best ride, braking . handling and longest tire life. if your running different size tires or overated tires its up to you to lower the pressure. each manufacture publishes a load per pressure chart for their tires. or you can math to figure it out. https://www.4wheelparts.com/a/tire-wheel-package-guide-tire-pressure-checker

Edited by Dakota Dave - 09 Oct 2020 at 11:14am
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:31pm
Thanks guys, this truck has an 8 1/2' service body/ladder rack loaded 99 % of the time and the door sticker wants 75 psi in the fronts and 80 psi in the rears Wink. This truck left the factory with "no box" on it as per the paperwork Tongue.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 6:50pm
sorry to disagree but after getting mad about trailer tires, looking like new and blowing out, I dropped the max pressure between 10 and 20% and found my tires lasted twice as long.  again i apologies for being different; i just ran the test myself and have no proof on paper.   the paper i do have is old, it's from buying new trailer tires!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:37pm
I go by the tire number.---if it says 45, thats what I run in them.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm
Allisorange. Sorta, ford demanded Firestone build that tire to their specifications. Firestone engineers told Ford their tire design was destined to fail. But Harvey Firestone and Henry Ford had a handshake agreement to build tires for ford. Firestone went along with the agreement. Ford e engineers told Firestone "if there is a problem we will stand behind the tires.". There was a problem and ford bailed on Firestone. I was on a first name bases with a lot of the Firestone engineers when this happened. The tires that Firestone used to replace the bad tires looked the same but you could tell it was a different tire. The replacement tire was far heavier, sidewalls were far thicker. It was the tire Firestone engineers told Ford engineers to put on the exploders. If you bought a cheep f150 the following year, you got Hankooks. They were worse than the bad Firestone's. Rocks went thru them, some of them didn't last 50 miles on our rock roads.
Gary(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:31pm
I drive a Ford F150 crew cab. Tires are 265/70r17. I run 38 pounds cold. I pull a lite trailer at times and leave tires at that pressure. Pounds go up as tires heat up on driving. Wife and I left for Montana couple of weeks ago and I checks tires at 38 pounds cold when left. Checked tires again in mountains one morning and they were at 45 pounds cold. Got home and tires were back at 38 pounds cold. I just thought thin outside air with tires full of heavy midwest air was the difference. I really don't know. Gary
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by fixer1958 fixer1958 wrote:

No point in running max air pressure if you are not loaded.
I have a 2500Hd with load range E. I have 45 in the front and 50 in the rear unloaded.
Rides better and easier on the tires. Loaded I kick up the pressure depending on what I'm doing.

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 6:45am
Personal preference I guess. To me it's like riding in a flat bottomed boat in the front seat in choppy water. I like my kidneys where they are.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 3:23pm
Time to check the pressure in the wifes Ford FLEX today...While doing that i thought i would check the SPECS......... This thing has them no side wall / go fast tires... 255 x 45 x 20 size.... Tires are rated at 1800 pounds at 51 psi.... The CAR cant handle any where near that kind of load.......... Door sticker says 1600 pounds at 36 psi..... Dealer had them set at 34 psi and it is plenty STIFF for riding around with not much load.... This is on a 2019 with 15K miles so all factory set / tires/ etc.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 3:56pm
My experience, for what it is worth, is Ford truck suspensions will beat ya to death empty, no matter what. SO, unless hauling a load of any significance, I use the minimum suggested for the tire and don't worry about the gas mileage I'm giving up. That's my story and I am sticking to it!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 5:30pm
don't forget that number for tire inflation is the max pressure.   most tire jockey's aren't paid enuff to have done research on tire inflation and when was the last time they asked what your goals were with the tires------NEVER
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 7:44pm
Where I used to work we had a problem with guys wanting to put larger a wider tires on their trucks. I had a chart that showed showed how wide the rim had to be, but they still wanted the wide tires. Trying to reason with them but they still wanted the wide tires, Sure enough before to long they were back with uneven tire wear, all the tire fault of course. Some people just can't get it.    Leon
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:29am
I've been pulling goosenecks for 50 years with a wide variety of GM pickups and different trailers. The plate on the truck door is the maximum tire pressure required for the maximum truck rating. The max pressure on the tire is for that tire. I always run max tire rating on the trailers. Same on my heavy highway/construction trucks. I never load the pickup over max tire rating but will lower the pressure for periods when not pulling trailers. If you lower too much the tire pressure sensor will go off. I found that the tire pressure will increase up to 10 psi. (80 to 90 psi) from heat if running long periods loaded at near max tire rating. I found that with nitrogen in the pickup, the pressure increase under the same conditions is about half. Our 40' fifth wheel camper came from the factory with nitrogen in the tires @ 110 psi. Heat is the killer. That's why tires have a lower load rating when used as duals. I run singles.  I think tires with some wear run cooler . Heavy lug tires have a lot of rubber and run hot. Can't remember blowing a good tire on the road.

Edited by Calvin Schmidt - 12 Oct 2020 at 7:32am
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:32pm
I got E rated Michelins on my F150 about 4 years ago and figured my inflation based on the contact patch. Best way is to do the chalk test- draw a chalk line across the tread in one spot and drive forward over the chalk line, see where the chalk rubbed off or not. Should be even across the tread face then you have even contact with the road across the tread. Adjust accordingly. When you have them properly adjusted there should be the same sidewall squat front and rear. I run mine 50 psi front and 42 psi rear with no load. Add 5-10 lbs to rear if heavier trailer or load in box. Same pressure front and rear on a regular pickup will get you uneven wear as the front has much more weight on it. With a service body it probably evens out.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Bill_MN Bill_MN wrote:

I got E rated Michelins on my F150 about 4 years ago and figured my inflation based on the contact patch. Best way is to do the chalk test- draw a chalk line across the tread in one spot and drive forward over the chalk line, see where the chalk rubbed off or not. Should be even across the tread face then you have even contact with the road across the tread. Adjust accordingly. When you have them properly adjusted there should be the same sidewall squat front and rear. I run mine 50 psi front and 42 psi rear with no load. Add 5-10 lbs to rear if heavier trailer or load in box. Same pressure front and rear on a regular pickup will get you uneven wear as the front has much more weight on it. With a service body it probably evens out.
E rated tires on a 1/4 ton truck ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
The F150 is a 1/2 ton truck........ but the E rated tires is a good example of what we are talking about.. Just because the TIRES can be pumped up to hold MAX LOAD, the TRUCK might not be rated for that kind of load... Thats why using the TIRE MAX PRESSURE is not the best idea.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 5:59pm
They "call" it a 1/2 ton, dare you to look up the specs on a 5 year old "150" vrs. a 15-20 year old "150" WinkWink . I've been told by several independent shops that the 1-2-3 '50 series have dropped in "hauling/suspension" ratings by "1". A current F 150 has the same "rating" as a Lincoln Navigator CryCry
And I don't recall ever asking about "MAX" pressure in my original post OuchOuch ?? The upcoming election has gotten you in a tizzy SmileSmile

Edited by FREEDGUY - 12 Oct 2020 at 6:01pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
call what a 1/2 ton ??? ......... your "independant shop" dont know sh*t.

My 7 year old F150 has close to 400 HP, will hold 1800 pounds in the bed and haul a 10,000 trailer ..... What do you call that ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Oct 2020 at 7:09pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
MAX PRESSURE is what is listed on the TIRE... with the MAX LOAD....... not necessarily what you use on a specific truck.  Same tire might fit a 1/2 , 3/4 , 1 ton... all set to DIFFERENT pressure to match the TRUCK.

Edited by steve(ill) - 12 Oct 2020 at 7:08pm
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm
I tell you, I actually got the E rated ones by mistake, shop was supposed to just put the P-metric version of same tire on and it had these when I picked it up. I decided they were nice tires and didn't say anything especially since they charged me for the lighter ones....Aside from hauling, the E rated tires look like new yet with over 40,000 miles and had a drywall screw in one once where the screw never made it into the tire, just wore the head off on the road. Shop took the screw out said they didn't even need to seal it as it wasn't leaking.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic