This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mostly For The Iowan's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mostly For The Iowan's
    Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:32am
Just asked my wife an Iowa question. What would you say is the most famous town in Iowa?

Clear Lake for the Surf and Buddy Holly?

Charles City for Oliver's and the Frank Lloyd Wright

Denison for Donna Reed?

Des Moines because of the capital and I Cubs?

Mason City for the Music Man and John Dillinger

Ottumwa for Corporal Radar O'Reilly and tv show M*A*S*H? 

Winterset for the book and film Bridges Of Madison County and birth place of John Wayne

What do you think?
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Sponsored Links

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 10:49am
Where's Iowa?

Dubuque (Hams)
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:03am
LOL Oh that's cold. LOL
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:21am
Just curious where the state fair is??? We hear about that clear down here in the hills.
Knoxville nationals as well.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:50am
The state fair is in Des Moines. I forgot about the winged sprint cars in Knoxville. I have never gotten down there to watch them. I have seen the Indy cars run at Newton. 180 mph in that tight oval looks fast. Real fast. 
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 12:25pm
What about John Wayne. He was born in Iowa I think.

John Carlson
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Listed at bottom of Unit3's first post, Winterset Iowa.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:00pm
Guys, the past few years Winterset Iowa has been rated the best town in Iowa (around 5000 people) to live and raise a family. Most of the town square along with the courthouse are on the National Historic Register. John Wayne's original home is here, along with the new J Wayne museum. I have been told his wife and kids have donated a lot of stuff used in his movies to the museum. The building where his dad had his pharmacy is still here. There are many completely restored homes here that are on the National Historical Regrestry. We have 5 or 6 of the original Covered Bridges. My partner in the tire business came within about 1/10th of an inch of running over Clint Eastwood. He was filming and stepped out in front of Eddie, my partner. Most of the buildings used in the movie are still here. We have no Walmart, a great dime store, a great local owned lumber yard, no Mc Donalds, some of the greatest pizza in the state, pretty good schools, and very friendly folks. 2 great locally owned restruarants. There might be 1 old geezer who is unfriendly, did I mention I am in the old geezer age range now. . 1 JD dealership, 1 great car dealership, they have my order for a new pickup, good horsepistol, and the really great thing-- great kids. I moved here in 1986 and will probably never completely move away.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:02pm
What about the American Pickers, Mike and Frank?
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm
The Matt Edel blacksmith shop in Haverhill Iowa is way up on my bucket list.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 29 Dec 2018 at 4:44pm
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:02pm
Mason City also has a hotel designed by Frank Lloyd Wright hotel, the last one standing in the world. The hotel has been restored and you can stay there, it is called The Historic Park Inn. The Stockman house in Mason City was also designed by FLW.

Charles City is also known for Salsbury Labs, one of the 1st large scale makers of "chicken medicine" and other drugs for farm animals.

What about Dyersville and the "Field of Dreams" and Ertl Manufacturing/Farm toy Museum?

Edited by iowallis - 29 Dec 2018 at 7:06pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:22pm
IA has a bunch of dead end roads...makes it hard when being chased by cops! Winterset IA has a lying motel manager, and IA I think is the reason all the trees in NE lean to the east!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:23pm
oh...and didn't IA folks vote for lady Clinton
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

IA has a bunch of dead end roads...makes it hard when being chased by cops! Winterset IA has a lying motel manager, and IA I think is the reason all the trees in NE lean to the east!

Oh come on now, if the trees in Nebraska lean any way I would think South.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 7:31pm
hahaha....I figgered i'd gits someone on that! (poke,poke)
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:00pm
Just teasing the guys from Kansas.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 8:52pm
I was at an energy conference in Utah several years ago.  The rep from Nebraska said the wind energy was so good in Iowa because it sucks.  Guy from Kansas said they both blow! Hey, I'm just repeating what I heard...
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:09pm
TOM!!!  How do you get anything done with no McDonalds or Wal Mart ?  LOL
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 9:22pm
That's probably why he does get stuff done, no reason to spend in town, may as well stay home and work!

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2018 at 11:41pm
I vote for Dyersville for Farm Toys Capitol of the  World , and Williamsburg for the Kinze manufacturing.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 12:09am
How about:

Pella, Iowa:  Pella Windows, Vermeer equipment (trenchers, horizontal boring, etc - GroundSaw/DitchWitch)
Amana, Iowa:  Amana appliances
Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Rockwell-Collins
Des Moines: Principal Financial Group
Spirit Lake, Iowa: Victory Motorcycles (Polaris), Berkely Fishing and Penn Reels
Muscatine, Iowa: HON Company (office furnature) and MUSCO Lighting (sports fields)
Newton, Iowa: MAYTAG
Clinton, Iowa: CLINTON Engines

Ottumwa, Iowa:  Bob Williams-  WW2 US Army Air Corps 332nd Fighter Group/100th Ftr Sqdrn - 2 confirmed enemy aircraft downed
Dubuque, Iowa: Robert Martin-  WW2 US Army Air Corps 3392nd Fighter Group
Van Meter, Iowa:  Bob Feller: 'The Heater from Van Meter'  Pitcher of the Cleveland
Indians for 18 seasons... interrupted by 4yr service USN during WW2
Mason City, Iowa:  Meredith Wilson
Waterloo, Iowa: The Sullivan Brothers (WW2 casualties)
Corning, Iowa:  Johnny Carson
Bettendorf, Iowa: Pat Angerer (football)
Ottumwa, Iowa: Tom Arnold (Actor)
Hampton, Iowa:  Fleet Admiral William Leahy
Clarenda, Iowa: Glenn Miller
Winterset, Iowa- Marion Robert Morrison (John Wayne).
Wall Lake, Iowa: Andy Williams
Pella, Iowa:  Morgan and Warren Earp
LeClaire, Iowa : William F (Buffalo Bill) Cody
Oskaloosa, Iowa:  Admiral Bernard A "Chick" Clary, USN
Anamosa, Iowa;  Grant Wood
Sioux City, Iowa:  Brig. Gen. George Everett "Bud" Day
Dubuque, Iowa: Kate Mulgrew (actress)
Sioux City, Iowa:  Eppie Lederer... aka "Ann Landers"...
Boone, Iowa Mamie (Doud) Eisenhower... wife of Ike...

Also... born in Lippe, Germany, but emigrated to Rockford, Iowa when he was six:
Fred Duesenberg.
Riverside, Iowa:  Captain James T Kirk, USS Enterprise...

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 12:46am
Musco Lighting is in Oskaloosa not Muscatine.
Des Moines is known as the insurance capitol of the U.S.
Eldon IA for Grant Wood's American Gothic, Tom and Roseanne's Big Food Diner (closed) and their mansion that was never completed.
 West Branch home of Herbert Hoover
Ashton Kutcher is from the Amana Colonies
West Branch home of President Herbert Hoover
Brandon Routh, one of the Superman movie actors is from Norwalk. There's another actor whose movie just came out I can't remember his name right off is also from Norwalk.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 30 Dec 2018 at 12:57am
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 1:59am
Dave....you forgots Arlington IA!
iowaman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 4:04am
Better study your history of Musco Lighting.
You only live once. But if you live right once is enough.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 7:58am
Not sure what town it's in or near, but, how about The I-80 Truck Stop. Recall something about it being the biggest in the country.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:42am
How about Dows, iowa? Several years ago we blundered into this little town off of I-35 in north central Iowa and went through their museum. Not big but very  interesting. They had an old local blacksmith shop with an old electric welder or two and a forge. In the blacksmith shop there were quite a number of Weiss replacement plow points and edges. My father used those same Weiss parts in his shop back before there were the throw away shares. There was also an old country school and a very little house where a couple had raised around 10-12 children, can't remember exactly. Some other interesting stuff too. The folks operating the museum were very friendly and before we knew it we had spent half of the day there. It's a couple of miles off the interstate so I imagine most travelers don't get there.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 8:57pm
Weldon Iowa, still has their train depot from the 1900's. There used to be a sign on the town square with the 5 Randol Brothers names on it. They went to Ww2, one as a belly gunner on a bomber, one in a tank with Patton, one in a destroyer that the japs sank, and one as a sharp shooter in Europe. They all came home. The last time they were together was dad and moms 60 the wedding anniversary. They are all gone now. I wish their stories would have been printed.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2018 at 9:16pm

And how does Nevada stack up to all this?

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 5:06am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

How about Dows, iowa? Several years ago we blundered into this little town off of I-35 in north central Iowa and went through their museum. Not big but very  interesting. They had an old local blacksmith shop with an old electric welder or two and a forge. In the blacksmith shop there were quite a number of Weiss replacement plow points and edges. My father used those same Weiss parts in his shop back before there were the throw away shares. There was also an old country school and a very little house where a couple had raised around 10-12 children, can't remember exactly. Some other interesting stuff too. The folks operating the museum were very friendly and before we knew it we had spent half of the day there. It's a couple of miles off the interstate so I imagine most travelers don't get there.
glad to know about this. I plan to go see the one in Haverhill and maybe we can see both. How about barn tours? I believe I’ve read about your maps to see barns and maybe barn quilts???
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 7:53am
Newton has one of the few remaining 'Drive in theaters'. This thing is insanely popular, you can't believe the lines of cars when there is a good movie!

Maytag blue cheese is made here. As much as I like Wisconsin cheese, Maytag blue is hard to beat.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic