This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ford Cam Phasers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford Cam Phasers?
    Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:23pm
is/are these something that can be tackled in a "driveway"/weekend  type of repair if changed out before "critical failure"? Thanks
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:40pm
i'd use a garage
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

is/are these something that can be tackled in a "driveway"/weekend  type of repair if changed out before "critical failure"? Thanks

Not according to scotty...Wink

And don't set the phasers to overload!WinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 11:58pm
Ford mechanics in the shop used to pull the whole front end off the trucks just to replace them. I don't know if it is necessary but they claimed it made it a whole lot easier.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 5:22am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

I think "stun" will be the default setting in either case
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 5:31am
yeesh... one comercial 'bodge'....
 seems there's 2 skools of thought.... replace the faulty parts(lots of them)
or...
install a few 'wedges', then 'tweak' the computer....

frankly if I was going to the PITA WORK to 'replace' the phasers, I'd just replace the whole (*((%^*& engine with a none 'phasered' version.

wonder what a shop charges for the labour/time/parts ?? Might be cheaper to buy a new ride ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:11am
In my opinion it already is a 'critical failure'. I wouldn't screw with it.
Phaser and chain and guide replacement is about 10 hours and deal with the debris in the engine already that you are not likely to get out plus other unknowns. Another engine long block about 19 hours.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 6:21am
Intended failure, planned obsolescence.

Ex Coworker decided to fix his own, Third Time INTO the engine he gave up, had entire machine hauled to junkyard.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 8:20am
yeesh 10 to 19 Hours ! Up here they charge a MINIMUM of 100 canucks per hour, plus 13% for the guvs....
I know I can swap in a good engine for the bad in less than 10....providing nuts and bolts come out.....

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 8:33am
Yep, phasers set to stun
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 8:48am
You thought changing a spark plug was a major operation... so NO, i would not attempt to change out the phasers or chains or adjusters.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 1:38am
is it just noise? maybe just another something to get used to? or does it make the engine not run well?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:04am
Yes and Yes shameless, to get the engines to meet emissions levels these designed systems have to be operating at peak performance so when do get sloppy the engines are noisy and run like crap IF run at all.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:49am
Talked to the guy next door as he KNOWS  trucks.....
he said to  get rid of the 'engineered' 5.4, put ANY 'normal' engine in the truck IF the ride is rust free... All them engines WILL handgrenade, only a matter of time.
While technically is sounds good on paper, mechanically, in the REAL WORLD, they don't work. A well documented problem. I love the 10 wedges to 'fix' the problem.Man ,wish I'd thought of that ! $10 of metal with huge profits.....

NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 8:43am

Snotty, Captain Jerk, and Spot can get rid of them pesky Klingons down stairs alsoWink
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

is it just noise? maybe just another something to get used to? or does it make the engine not run well?
Yes Shame, it's intermittent "top end" rattle, for the most part, engine runs smooth, just that hideous "click-click-click" at initial start-up Wink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

You thought changing a spark plug was a major operation... so NO, i would not attempt to change out the phasers or chains or adjusters.
Thank you for keeping track of my past posts WinkWink (seriously) !! I was afraid that this repair was "above my pay scale" Confused
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by NEVER green NEVER green wrote:

Snotty, Captain Jerk, and Spot can get rid of them pesky Klingons down stairs alsoWink

Well always green , thanks for nothing WinkWinkLOLLOL
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 5:35pm
Also watch our for Klingon's around Uranus!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2020 at 7:57pm
yet another "better idea" from ferd!
wide View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wide Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 1:39am
What year is the engine?
 The phasers didn't get used until around 2002.
 I helped change the timing chains on my friends titan.
 His was early enough that it didn't have the phasers.
 That was good because aftermarket ones are junk
 and the ones from ford are very expensive.
 It would have drove the cost of parts up so high that it wouldn't have been worth it.
 Rest of the job was pretty standard.
 Couldn't screw the timing up because of all the marks on the chains and sprockets.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:16am

Sorry FREEDGUY but ...   but Klingons used blasters, more durable.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 8:43am
the early 5.4 motor from 1997 - 2004 had 2 valves per cylinder and no Variable Cam Timing ( phasers)... The 2005 had 3 valves per cylinder and VCTs... that lasted till the last of the 5.4 motors which i think was 2010.  The motor was then replaced by either a 5.0  V8 or a Turbocharged 3.5 V6.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:51am

So.....if you wear striped underwear.....is that like a cloaking device?
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by wide wide wrote:

What year is the engine?
 The phasers didn't get used until around 2002.
 I helped change the timing chains on my friends titan.
 His was early enough that it didn't have the phasers.
 That was good because aftermarket ones are junk
 and the ones from ford are very expensive.
 It would have drove the cost of parts up so high that it wouldn't have been worth it.
 Rest of the job was pretty standard.
 Couldn't screw the timing up because of all the marks on the chains and sprockets.

It's an '05 model with 181,000 miles . I run conventional 5W20 oil in it due to the "consumption" of 2 quarts/4000 mile oil change interval Wink. I took possession of it with 118,000 miles on it 4 years ago Big smile. Thanks for your input !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm

I'll give you KUDO's for knowing your "TREK" terminology, but you fail as constructive input on "this" forum WinkWink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

And YOU NEVER have any good input CryOuchClap.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2020 at 11:38pm
I can say flat rate on phasers is 12 hrs. They are a half days work for me. No reason to take the front off the truck, or even drain the coolant. With the fan and shroud out there’s almost enough room to sit between the radiator and engine to work on it. The phasers fail because people don’t change oil like they should. Before you go through the trouble to replace them with the chains and tensioners, pull a valve cover and look at the cam journals. If they’re scuffed, you’re better off putting a long block in. Chances are high that the engine won’t have enough oil pressure to keep the chains tight and it will jump time.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:40am

And YOU NEVER have any good input CryOuchClap.

Ask me if I care!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm

I dont care what FREDGUY says, that was a good one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic